• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_paula271066_*

Guest_paula271066_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2010 - 04:21 PM

QUOTE (Freddy McGavin @ Jul 8 2010, 06:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Sandy,
As an experienced keeper who has hibernated young torts I would bow to your superior knowledge!!!Perhaps I'm being a bit overcautious but this approach has always kept my own tort. 'Billiejo' in good stead. However, it is also true that she is an adult tort who has always been hibernated.It just seems to me that these younger and smaller captive torts. are a little more vulnerable than their wilder cousins. Also,they are not yet fully developed. But ,perhaps as you say they are a lot more hardier than we give them credit for.Anyway Sandy,your insights and experience are always enlightening.Thank you once again for your reply.I am always learning....
Kind Regards
Freddy

#22 Guest_English Rose_*

Guest_English Rose_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2010 - 04:26 PM

Hi All..... after numerous months with no computer i am back... along with my new arrival. Just got a 2 year old male to keep Tilly company. I have put him on a seperate table with his own heat lamp etc... what i would like to know if anybody can answer me... ive got them both in the same room, can they sense each other? as my original tortoise Tilly is going nuts trying to get off the table, this shes never tried to do before.
Im also concerned that he seems to be rather large for his age as Tilly is nearly 4 years old and he is just about the same size.
Any ideas?

#23 Guest_paula271066_*

Guest_paula271066_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2010 - 04:27 PM

Hi

Thanks for all your replies, yeah must admit was a bit shocked by the diet and Im so glad I hadnt had the diet sheet sent to me when I first got Victor has I would be feeding him the wrong diet, but def dont think I wouldnt have done the jelly n pasta...leave that for kids parties lol. Hibernation....thats a scary word to me, I had 3 torts when I was younger, one was 18 inches and never hibernated them for 6years they lived in the house and had a lovely smooth shells, this is when we didnt know as much about torts. We moved house and I hibernated them as told how to do on Blue Peter and they all died, i was devasted. Our reptile vet advised me not to hibernate Victor and told me to overwinter him as thats what he does with his torts, so at this moment in time im going overwinter him and just keep an open view on things.

Paula

#24 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2010 - 05:57 PM

I am not surprised your tortoises didnt survive hibernation, if you used the Blue Peter method.
Try www.thetortoisehouse.com for hibernation instructions. I have been using them for the last 30yrs and not lost a tortoise to hibernation yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users