Hatching Times

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_gail_robertson13_*

Guest_gail_robertson13_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2005 - 07:52 AM

My 8 year old hermanns laid 3 eggs. I have incubated them at 32 deg C. One hatched on day 57, which was early as I was not expecting any hatchlings until around 70 days (this tortoise is now, eating, drinking, weeing and pooing!). I could see one of the other eggs was not fertile, but I left it until day 70 before checking and confirming that it was infertile.

My problem is Egg Number 3 - Weight and light testing indicate there is a tort inside but I am now almost 3 weeks since the first hatchling - Day 78 of incubation. What to do?

What is the longest time anyone has experienced of two hatchlings from one clutch?

Any other experiences would be helpful.

Regards

Gail

#2 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2005 - 08:23 AM

Hello Gail
I'm in the same position, Eggs can start hatching arounf 55 days. I have 3 eggs that are well in to the 70+ days, so giving it till the weekend then I will gentley chip the eggs to see, My female hasn't been with a male this year, but was last year and had fertile eggs.
It's a personel thing, I don't think mine are fertile, but I would leave yours for another 2 weeks, unless it starts to smell
Arnie

#3 Guest_gail_robertson13_*

Guest_gail_robertson13_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2005 - 10:54 AM

Arnie

Thanks for your reply. Have you ever opened one before? Or will you just chip a hole until you can see inside? Is this the first time you have incubated tortise eggs? Were you aware that a female tortoise can have several (up to 30) eggs from one mating and then lay them over several years.

I have two later clutches in my incubater so I guess I will just try and be patient a little longer. But it is so time consuming watching eggs!!!

Regards

Gail

#4 Guest_Joanne666_*

Guest_Joanne666_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2005 - 11:41 AM

Hi Gail,

Do you have seperate containers for seperate clutches?
Torts from one clutch send out chemical signals which encourages the rest of the cluth to hatch. Obviously not all clutches are ready at the same time, so they need to be kept apart. Ice cream tubs seem popular and can find a few in an incubator.
Hope this helps

#5 Guest_gail_robertson13_*

Guest_gail_robertson13_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2005 - 08:00 AM

Jo

That's interesting.... I do have 7 spur thighed eggs in the same container as the 3 hermanns. Although this would not explain why one of the hermanns hatched almost 3 weeks ago. This is the first time I have heard of chemical signals.

What I am actually tring to find out is what is the longest time anyone has experienced between eggs of one clutch.

regards

Gail

#6 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2005 - 05:00 PM

Hello Gail
Yes I have been breeding for a few years now, and yes I have opened an egg before, I just got a sharp pointed knife and made a tiny hole, very carefully. and every time so far the eggs have been infertile.
But I must insist that I don't do this lightly and if you are keeping your incubator going I would leave them, till 90 days or they explode, which they can do, spray them with a mist spray and have you got a dish of water in the incubator to increase humidity.

Arnie

#7 Guest_gail_robertson13_*

Guest_gail_robertson13_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2005 - 07:56 AM

Arnie

Thanks I will be patient up to 90 days. At 76 now.

Yes I do have a dish of water in the incubator and have mist sprayed a few times. This is only my second year of incubating torts and last time all 4 got themselves out around the 70 day point - although they were spur thighed.

Please let me know how you get on if you decide to brave opening an egg.

Thanks again

Gail

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users