We have cut through to outside!

Bribed out with a huge slate of weeds!

Think we'll have next weekend off!!

Paula x

#2 Guest_gail69_*

Guest_gail69_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:31 PM

Well done Paula. That's great. You really have worked hard. Your torts are just gonna love it.

xxxx

#3 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2010 - 05:22 PM

Hi Paula,The outside part of the enclosure looks fantastic.The plants,soil,rocks and roof are all great.Things have really come on!!! Looking at the various stages will certainly help those wishing to do the same.Are you taking any reservations for your 5 Star tort. hotel??? ha ha!!!Congrats again Paula!!! :D RegardsFreddy :D

#4 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2010 - 05:27 PM

Thankyou :) I am wondering whether I should take the rocks in the corner out, I put them there thinking the littlies couldn't get up and reach the campanula... wrong!! :rolleyes: The only thing is I haven't seen them get down and wonder if they will damage their shells hurtling off the top?! I suppose in the wild they would have no choice, but if I can avoid potential injuries I think I should. What do you think chaps?Paula x

#5 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2010 - 05:39 PM

Hi Paula,You make a good point about the rocks. I would build up the sand/soil around them!!! ;) Freddy :D

#6 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2010 - 07:13 PM

I'm gobsmacked! :blink: Thats is fan-bloody-tastic!!! I soooooo wish I had a man that can!!!! It's official..... I'M VERY, VERY JEALOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#7 Guest_Lin_*

Guest_Lin_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2010 - 07:08 AM

I'm speechless.It's incredible. Well done

#8 Guest_jackiedots_*

Guest_jackiedots_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2010 - 01:09 AM

Paula, that is absolutely brilliant !!!! Lucky torts..................and lucky you to have such a clever handyman.

Jackie
xx

#9 Guest_tobyy_*

Guest_tobyy_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2010 - 12:19 AM

that looks great.

#10 Guest_SheilaS_*

Guest_SheilaS_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2010 - 11:04 PM

oh wow this is so nice!

#11 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:41 PM

Thanks peeps!! :) Being outside has made such a difference to the way the little guys behave. If I put weeds down on a slate for them they don't seem to eat so much, instead they just wander round having a little munch en route. (except Bailey who seems to pitch up anywhere and eat his way out!) Also I think they must like the space, on the table inside the littlies used to do alot of 'laps' of the table and would often be scrambling in a corner, I have seen none of this since putting them outside, they just seem to do... well, what they are supposed to do!! :D I used to bath them daily but have cut back to 5 days per week. The only thing is that inside I would often see them drink, outside there are 3 places with water but as yet I haven't seen anyone drink. I realise the humidity levels are different outside so wonder if they now don't need so much?Paula x

#12 Guest_terrypin_*

Guest_terrypin_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2010 - 06:37 PM

that is an excellent enclosure they will simply thrive now they can go outdoors at their leisure.
terry

#13 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2010 - 06:49 PM

Paula this is simply stunning. And I recognise that stripey material - that is your plexiglass isn't it!! So you have a fab indoor area with natural UV and an exit to a very secure outside area. Its just brilliant frankly.

You will see more and more natural behaviours with your tortoises being outside more. They will soon learn exactly where to go both indoors and outdoors to get the best of the weather and conditions.

For me personally it is watching the tortoises outside that is the most rewarding part of keeping them.

Have you included a relaxing area for humans to observe - with a comfy seat?

Great work. Oz

#14 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2010 - 06:51 PM

Paula,
wow,enclosure look's fab,your torts are so lucky.
Jay,H and Becky

#15 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2010 - 08:08 PM

Thanks for your kind comments chaps!Oz I have a lovely patio set... upstairs in the spare room, unfortunately the humans will have to wait until next year for their bit to be done!! :D :rolleyes: The rest of out garden is like a builders yard! Yes it is plexiglass, we didn't use any on the back of the greenhouse as this is close to the garden wall, it is north facing and would not have any sun reach it.We still have lots of work to do, we have to decide exactly what heating we need, I think in the end we will have different options installed for different times of the year/weather.The doors are still temporary ones, just made quickly so that we could get them outside. The inside of the shed part needs some work before autumn, it is fairly basic at the moment, again done quickly just so that we could get them outside. We have electrics to do and a sink to plumb in, still enough to keep us busy.Hopefully the little guys will appreciate our efforts! :rolleyes: Paula x

#16 Traceyandtom

Traceyandtom

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:05 PM

Hi Paula! I saw your outside enclosure months ago whilst contemplating building one at home for my son Tom's Hermann boy, Toby. Toby is now 6 years old and is very sweet - however now we're thinking we'd like him to go to a new home but only the best - it means everything that he's happy.
I've no idea where in the country you are or if you'd like another tortoise - but as you clearly think the world of your little guys, I'm wondering if you'd be interested in giving another boy a home?
Toby has been with us 4 years and we have his certificate from when we bought him at approx 2 years old. He's always lived in a vivarium but hasn't any company and it makes us feel sad.
Please would you reply and give us your decision? We'd travel any distance to see Toby have a better future, even though we've always done our best for him with vets and fresh food etc.
Thank you, Tracey and Tom and Toby

#17 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:22 AM

hi tracey

welcome to the forum. :)

paula doesn't use the forum that much, but I could send her a message for you if you want.

you could also send a message to sue ( wizzasmum ) as she helps rehome a lot of tortoises, and makes sure they are going to the best homes.  http://www.hermann-t...?showuser=22354

hope that helps a bit. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users