Bedding down outside.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_gail69_*

Guest_gail69_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2010 - 05:51 PM

Hi all

As some of you know, I now have Tilly who is a Spur Thigh. Tilly has the run of the garden and at night I put her in the green house, where she digs down under half of a large terracotta pot. But over the passed few days, Tilly has decided to dig underneath a bush to sleep. Because I am worried about foxes or rats, I get Tilly from under the bush and put her in the Greenhouse. However she puffs and blows and is noticeably not happy by my interference.

Am I causing her unnecessary stress by moving her, or is it best to air on the side of caution and ensure her safety? I haven't seen a fox in the garden for many years, but that doesn't mean to say they aren't out there. And I don't really know if there are any rats out there, I worry, just in case.

I do have to say that when Tilly digs down, you can only see the top of her shell, but I don't know if a fox would dig her up or if a rat would smell her and attack her?

Any thoughts on my dillema would be welcome. I want Tilly to have as natural life as possible, but I don't want her to come to any harm.

Many thanks

Gail
xx

#2 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2010 - 07:07 PM

QUOTE (gail69 @ Jul 12 2010, 06:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi all

As some of you know, I now have Tilly who is a Spur Thigh. Tilly has the run of the garden and at night I put her in the green house, where she digs down under half of a large terracotta pot. But over the passed few days, Tilly has decided to dig underneath a bush to sleep. Because I am worried about foxes or rats, I get Tilly from under the bush and put her in the Greenhouse. However she puffs and blows and is noticeably not happy by my interference.

Am I causing her unnecessary stress by moving her, or is it best to air on the side of caution and ensure her safety? I haven't seen a fox in the garden for many years, but that doesn't mean to say they aren't out there. And I don't really know if there are any rats out there, I worry, just in case.

I do have to say that when Tilly digs down, you can only see the top of her shell, but I don't know if a fox would dig her up or if a rat would smell her and attack her?

Any thoughts on my dillema would be welcome. I want Tilly to have as natural life as possible, but I don't want her to come to any harm.

Many thanks

Gail
xx

what i do is make sure they are tucked up in their green house at nite.so they are safe from all things animal and mankind!!!and the cold.others mite do it diffrent but i dont think its worth it.i like to know they are safe

#3 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2010 - 07:22 PM

If you know you have foxes in your area, then always be on the safe side.
I always check where mine are, if they are tucked up under my Yukka, and cant be seen I leave them. Anywhere else they get put back into the greenhouse.

#4 Guest_gail69_*

Guest_gail69_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2010 - 07:22 PM

Thanks For reply Bruce.

I know I sleep alot better knowing Tilly is in the greenhouse and the Little ones are in their Wendy house. I just don't want to cause Tilly any unnecessary stress, by keep moving her and interfering with what she wants to do. But her safety is the most important thing.

Gail

#5 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2010 - 07:45 PM

Hi Gail,
I think Bruce and Sandy are right.It is better to err on the side of caution and put her in the greenhouse at night.After a time she will get used to it. Better to be safe than sorry!!!
Kind Regards
Freddy

#6 Guest_gail69_*

Guest_gail69_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2010 - 07:58 PM

Thank you all for your replies.

The greenhouse it is for Tilly from now on.

Gail
xx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users