- - - - -

Heating for Tilly?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_gail69_*

Guest_gail69_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:10 PM

Well I came home from work to find Tilly in the garden, soaking wet and looking really miserable.

I put her back in the greenhouse out of the rain and she dug straight in to go to sleep.

According to the forecast we have got this weather till atleast the weekend. Do you think i should set up some kind of heat source for Tilly so that she can keep warm and dry? I will open the greenhouse door for her every day as she doesn't like to be confined. So chances are she will wander outside at some point, and it really isn't very warm here at the moment.

Many thanks

Gail
xx

#2 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:48 PM

Well if you have the equiptment already you could set something up, what are the temps like up there? It rained here today but the temps are still good so personally I'm not going to worry too much for my guys, they will still get uv if it's overcast, and today mine have obviously been up and about as all the food had gone!!! That said if the temps drop for a couple of days in a row, then yes I will put the lamps on for a bit rolleyes.gif

#3 Guest_gail69_*

Guest_gail69_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:54 PM

Well it will mean Neil having to run a waterproof cable down the garden.

Which I just know he will moan about.

Not because of the work involved but because he is already waiting for the police to knock on the door to find out what we are growing. lol The electricity meter just keeps wizzing round. haha.

Temps are probably about 19 in the day. Warm enough to make Tilly wake up and move, but not warm enough to dry her off if she gets wet.

Gail
xx

#4 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:06 PM

Hi Gail,
If Tilly wants to go walk about I'd let her as she must be happy with the temps.Older torts. are hardy creatures so don't worry.Best to let torts. do the leading as Sandy would say!!! Also the odd rain shower is fine but if it becomes constant and cold then I would place her in the Greenhouse.Also dry her thoroughly with an old cloth. I follow this procedure with my own 50 year old tort. 'Billiejo'. Best of luck Gail!!! biggrin.gif
Kind Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif
P.S Some garden cover like trees and shrubs helps. You might also consider making Tilly a small tort shelter or house.

#5 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:08 PM

QUOTE (gail69 @ Jul 13 2010, 08:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not because of the work involved but because he is already waiting for the police to knock on the door to find out what we are growing. lol The electricity meter just keeps wizzing round. haha.

Temps are probably about 19 in the day. Warm enough to make Tilly wake up and move, but not warm enough to dry her off if she gets wet.

Gail
xx

YOu know what coming don't you...huh? huh??........................

IN THE WILD they wouldn't have anyone to dry them off......... I shall leave it there..... rolleyes.gif

#6 Guest_gail69_*

Guest_gail69_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:40 PM

QUOTE (Dawn @ Jul 13 2010, 09:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
YOu know what coming don't you...huh? huh??........................

IN THE WILD they wouldn't have anyone to dry them off......... I shall leave it there..... rolleyes.gif

Ha Ha Dawn. That always makes me laugh.

But in Tilly's defence in the wild in her own country, the rain wouldn't be as cold and prolonged as it is here and the sun would soon come out and dry her off. LOL.

But taking into account that I think she is quite acclimatised to the weather here, I shall not intervene for a couple of days and see if God remembers he's left his tap running over Burntwood.
laugh.gif

Gail
xx

#7 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:46 PM

LOL, well, seeing as you put it like that.........I won't come back at you with ''but shes not in her country......'' LMAO!!! Come on you, back on FB, cos you'll get me into trouble otherwise....... rolleyes.gif wub.gif

#8 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:24 PM

QUOTE (gail69 @ Jul 13 2010, 08:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Gail
xx

i have a six foot fence a round my garden. i put a halegen light and uv light in the greenhouse.the people next door asked me if i was growlng grass in their as they can see the glow at nite!!!!i had to take them in and show them it was only tortoises!!!!!

#9 Guest_gail69_*

Guest_gail69_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:28 PM

QUOTE (Freddy McGavin @ Jul 13 2010, 09:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Gail,
If Tilly wants to go walk about I'd let her as she must be happy with the temps.Older torts. are hardy creatures so don't worry.Best to let torts. do the leading as Sandy would say!!! Also the odd rain shower is fine but if it becomes constant and cold then I would place her in the Greenhouse.Also dry her thoroughly with an old cloth. I follow this procedure with my own 50 year old tort. 'Billiejo'. Best of luck Gail!!! biggrin.gif
Kind Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif
P.S Some garden cover like trees and shrubs helps. You might also consider making Tilly a small tort shelter or house.

Sorry Freddy I did miss your reply. Thanks for advice. Tilly does have a large dog kennel that we have put a window and a door in for her, but at the moment she doesn't seem too interested. It is my intention to try and encourage her to sleep in this eventually, as I think this would be better for her. We just need to insulate it for her. but she can use it if she wants to. She really did like the big shed, but after her last escapade in there she is barred, until i can find somewhere else to store the things that are in it. this will probably have to be another shed, which i know Tilly will want to claim as hers too. Bless her. She has made such an impact on us and completely taken over the garden. But we love her too bits. There are quite a few bushes she can hide under, so unless the rain continues for a few days, I will let her do what she does best, roam the garden.

Gail
xx

#10 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2010 - 10:05 PM

Hi Gail

Mine are not getting any extra heat, as its still warm outside. All of mine were outside grazing today.

#11 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2010 - 10:06 PM

QUOTE (gail69 @ Jul 13 2010, 10:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry Freddy I did miss your reply. Thanks for advice. Tilly does have a large dog kennel that we have put a window and a door in for her, but at the moment she doesn't seem too interested. It is my intention to try and encourage her to sleep in this eventually, as I think this would be better for her. We just need to insulate it for her. but she can use it if she wants to. She really did like the big shed, but after her last escapade in there she is barred, until i can find somewhere else to store the things that are in it. this will probably have to be another shed, which i know Tilly will want to claim as hers too. Bless her. She has made such an impact on us and completely taken over the garden. But we love her too bits. There are quite a few bushes she can hide under, so unless the rain continues for a few days, I will let her do what she does best, roam the garden.

Gail
xx

Hi Gail,
I would make sure the converted kennel has the ground or lawn of the garden as it's floor as this helps the torts. temp.self regulation and torts do generally prefer it.Try placing the shelter/house in one of her favourite corners or places,this may help her to finally choose it. Also it is very important that you dry Tilly thoroughly with an old cloth when putting her away for the night as bad wettings can lead to respitory problems and even wet shell-rot!!! Hope this info helps Gail.Best of luck with Tilly!!!
Kind Regards
Freddy

#12 Guest_gail69_*

Guest_gail69_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2010 - 06:27 PM

QUOTE (brucefairweather @ Jul 13 2010, 10:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i have a six foot fence a round my garden. i put a halegen light and uv light in the greenhouse.the people next door asked me if i was growlng grass in their as they can see the glow at nite!!!!i had to take them in and show them it was only tortoises!!!!!

Ha ha Bruce, What with your magic mushrooms and your grass, i think we may be learning a bit more about you than your love of tortoises. LOL.

Gail
xx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users