- - - - -

How do I get him to eat weeds?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_terrypin_*

Guest_terrypin_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2010 - 06:28 PM

so who would this mental!!!!! i mean mentor be then lol.its lovely to see you on the forum Kat it really is such a friendly place ,as you will find out if you venture further onto some sites.your doing a great job please try not to worry about her if you do have any real concerns i am just a phone call away.im pleased you binned the fruit its not good for her and she has never had or needed it before.im afraid a lot of the advice you find on line is not the best its just so difficult to be sure what to do at first .thats why sites like this are so essential to new keepers we can all learn from the mistakes old codgers like myself have made over the years and try not to repeat them.
terry

#22 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2010 - 06:49 PM

QUOTE (terrypin @ Jul 30 2010, 07:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
so who would this mental!!!!! i mean mentor be then lol.its lovely to see you on the forum Kat it really is such a friendly place ,as you will find out if you venture further onto some sites.your doing a great job please try not to worry about her if you do have any real concerns i am just a phone call away.im pleased you binned the fruit its not good for her and she has never had or needed it before.im afraid a lot of the advice you find on line is not the best its just so difficult to be sure what to do at first .thats why sites like this are so essential to new keepers we can all learn from the mistakes old codgers like myself have made over the years and try not to repeat them.
terry

Awwww, Terry! You're not a codger....old maybe but not a codger!!! rolleyes.gif tongue.gif

So Kat got her tort from you then.....mmmmmm, not who I thought after all then.....LMAO! Only joking mate, you may be a mental old codger (your words not mine... tongue.gif ) but you are a very wise and knowledgeable mental old codger! You've only got to look at your torts to see that! We are very lucky to have you on this site, thank you wub.gif

#23 Guest_terrypin_*

Guest_terrypin_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2010 - 07:30 PM

QUOTE (Dawn @ Jul 30 2010, 07:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Awwww, Terry! You're not a codger....old maybe but not a codger!!! rolleyes.gif tongue.gif

So Kat got her tort from you then.....mmmmmm, not who I thought after all then.....LMAO! Only joking mate, you may be a mental old codger (your words not mine... tongue.gif ) but you are a very wise and knowledgeable mental old codger! You've only got to look at your torts to see that! We are very lucky to have you on this site, thank you wub.gif

haha you know how to make be blush Dawn.im so pleased Kat has decided to be a member here i do suggest it when i sell a tortoise but most people dont bother.it will be nice to watch her grow as i feel sure she has gone to an excellent home,and will do well.
terry

#24 Guest_lennonbo_*

Guest_lennonbo_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2010 - 08:25 PM

Well I think your great Terry and have been soo helpful to me and supportive smile.gif
I am glad I joined as you suggested as the other people here have been really kind to me and its also good to see I am not the only person that worries. Plus the information you can find on the forum is excellent for perfect tortoise care. No the fruit has all gone ... even if she did demolish it, I don't want to be upsetting her tummy. Plus the weeds have gone alot quicker today, I've been out picking but only the ones you told me about .... I had a good trot up Le blinere this afternoon and even made Neil climb in a cow field as it was full of dandilions .... Not sure he was too impressed with me lol , but tinkerbell was more than happy with me smile.gif She has just had her bath. Please could you tell me the best way to bath her as i feel abit unsure that i am doing the right thing?? It says that most tortoises love being bathed ..... Tinkerbell seems to dislike it am i doing something wrong?? blink.gif I look forward to any advise smile.gif

#25 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2010 - 08:55 PM

use a plastic box or tray (the biscuits for cheese boxes are good) with high enough sides that she can't climb out, or you can use a washing up bowl (make sure its not had any detergants left in it) or your sink/bath, feel with lukewarm water - enough to come up to their chin or the skirt of their shell (where bottom meets top). Some torts will sit there quite nicely whilst others will unfortunatley spend the entire bath time trying to climb out! Bath them for anything up to 20 mins (though you may need to add more warm water) but don't let them get to stressed over it. If your tort really won't tolerate baths then just soak all the weeds in water so they are wet when she eats them and ensure there is access to a bowl of water.

Now mine are outdoors, I only bath them once a month when I weigh them. But I wet their food everyday, and this seems to do them fine.

#26 Guest_terrypin_*

Guest_terrypin_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2010 - 03:42 AM

hi i use a deep sided cat litter tray because my hermans tend to spend the whole time trying to get out.i normally only do about 10 minutes but i bath daily.i have to bath the leopard youngsters daily so i do all the youngsters regardless.mine spend the night indoors we have a lot of rats around here and once again i bring all the young leopards in so might as well not take chances and cart all the rest back down the cellar nightly.i have thought about a secure night box(meds only) in their enclosure but havent got around to it yet maybe for next year.hermans dont seem to enjoy the bath as much as graeca graeca but it helps to flush them out before they go in the tables and i can keep a check on any urates (white poo)to ensure its not gritty.never had a problem with hermans but the graeca graeca need to be watched if they spend a lot of time indoors under the lamps.
terry

#27 Guest_lennonbo_*

Guest_lennonbo_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2010 - 06:34 AM

Thank you I will give those methods a try ..... as I think i have been doing it totaly wrong. I have a tuperware box just shy of a cheese box and have been holding her in it whilst i lightly clean her shell with a baby's toothbrush. I will try the cheese box as it is slightly bigger and let her stand in it maybe that has been the problem?! She may not have liked not being able to stand and that might have been aggrevating her slightly. I have been cleaning the top and bottom of her shell, aswell as her legs and head is this correct? smile.gif

#28 Guest_terrypin_*

Guest_terrypin_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2010 - 07:57 AM

QUOTE (lennonbo @ Jul 31 2010, 07:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank you I will give those methods a try ..... as I think i have been doing it totaly wrong. I have a tuperware box just shy of a cheese box and have been holding her in it whilst i lightly clean her shell with a baby's toothbrush. I will try the cheese box as it is slightly bigger and let her stand in it maybe that has been the problem?! She may not have liked not being able to stand and that might have been aggrevating her slightly. I have been cleaning the top and bottom of her shell, aswell as her legs and head is this correct? smile.gif

hi Kat ,if you use a container that she cant get out of then she can walk around this should clean the mud off her head and legs then all you need to do if you want is clean the worst off her shell its up to you of course,maybe my standards are lower than everyone elses lol.i dont normally bother they just get dirty again when outside.i must confess if i have time they get a quick clean up if i have visitors due so they can see the colours and markings on the shells and choose their tortoise.i cant see any harm in giving them a quick clean up in the bath if you want ,personally dont seem to get the time to do it every day if it wasnt for the tippex numbers this years babies would all look the same they are so dirty lol.i must give them a clean up and post some pictures.i still have a few hermans eggs to hatch this month and i will post a picture of this years all together.
terry

#29 Guest_lennonbo_*

Guest_lennonbo_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2010 - 11:51 AM

Hi Terry, thanks for that .... I will give it a try and let her walk around and see if she prefers that. I'm not suprised you would have to be up 24/7 if you bathed them all for 15 minutes lol smile.gif It'd be nice to see the photos when you have a chance. How many have you got left to hatch? You'll be even busier once those hatch lol. Tinkerbell looked at me in utter digust today when I put her out as it was drizzling ... I've been far too soft with her. However she has had a good feed and the weeds in her garden have all got nice and wet so that should help her. She is looking somewhat happier now the weather has cleared up biggrin.gif

#30 Guest_terrypin_*

Guest_terrypin_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2010 - 01:18 PM

hi ,it looks like only 4 hermans left to hatch and 3 gracea graeca (spurthighed) missed at least 2 clutches of them and not sure how many clutches of hermans are buried around the place but i have 15 hatched so far and all together that should be 19 hermans this year so i cant complain.i havent incubated any leopards this year i dont really want to part with them until they are at least a couple of years old and not so delicate.then they will be for sale.so concentrate on raising the ones i have as smoothly and healthy as possible before i even consider incubating more.
terry

#31 Guest_terrypin_*

Guest_terrypin_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2010 - 01:21 PM

i put all my hatchlings from this year outside this morning in that drizzle so they will have to toughen up.they had a warmup first and will get some time under the lamps later after their bath.
terry

#32 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2010 - 01:25 PM

QUOTE (terrypin @ Jul 31 2010, 02:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hi ,it looks like only 4 hermans left to hatch and 3 gracea graeca (spurthighed) missed at least 2 clutches of them and not sure how many clutches of hermans are buried around the place but i have 15 hatched so far and all together that should be 19 hermans this year so i cant complain.i havent incubated any leopards this year i dont really want to part with them until they are at least a couple of years old and not so delicate.then they will be for sale.so concentrate on raising the ones i have as smoothly and healthy as possible before i even consider incubating more.
terry

Hi Terry,
Many congrats on the 19 hermanns hatchlings. That's absolutely fantastic. Well done again. biggrin.gif
Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

#33 Guest_terrypin_*

Guest_terrypin_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2010 - 02:15 PM

QUOTE (Freddy McGavin @ Jul 31 2010, 02:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Terry,
Many congrats on the 19 hermanns hatchlings. That's absolutely fantastic. Well done again. biggrin.gif
Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

thanks but not yet still got 4 to go i hope lol.
terry

#34 Guest_lennonbo_*

Guest_lennonbo_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2010 - 07:12 PM

Wow Terry you really will have your hands full smile.gif And there is me panicking over one tortoise lol. Yeah Tinkerbell wasn't keen on the drizzle this morning but it'll toughen her up. She has slept alot of today but has been outside all day .... I'll bring her in later for her bath that she loves soo much lol. I think the container is deep but not wide enough for her to walk around and maybe that is what is annoying her about bath time. I will get a new container tomorrow or Monday. One more hand held bath won't hurt her smile.gif

#35 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2010 - 07:24 PM

QUOTE (terrypin @ Jul 31 2010, 03:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
thanks but not yet still got 4 to go i hope lol.
terry

That's great Terry. Good luck with the other 4. wink.gif
Kind Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

#36 Guest_lennonbo_*

Guest_lennonbo_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2010 - 07:47 PM

Hi Terry
Well Tinkerbell's bath was much more sucessfull this evening she seemed to enjoy being able to just lie there and relax without anyone holding her. However I do have a question for you or anyone that can help me ...... Is it ok for her to put her head under the water?? If so where abouts on her head is the limit for the water?? smile.gif

#37 Guest_terrypin_*

Guest_terrypin_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2010 - 08:30 PM

QUOTE (lennonbo @ Jul 31 2010, 08:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Terry
Well Tinkerbell's bath was much more sucessfull this evening she seemed to enjoy being able to just lie there and relax without anyone holding her. However I do have a question for you or anyone that can help me ...... Is it ok for her to put her head under the water?? If so where abouts on her head is the limit for the water?? smile.gif

hi Kat dont worry some tortoises will put their heads under the water for a few minutes without any problems.im sure they do it just to worry us .they are fine if they go right under the water just so when she lifts her head up it is able to come out of the water easily.you are doing a great job with her try not to worry im sure she is just fine.
terry

#38 Guest_lennonbo_*

Guest_lennonbo_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2010 - 08:38 PM

Hi Terry
Thanks for getting back to me, I feel much better now smile.gif I was abit worried about her putting her head under all the time, but if its ok and she's relaxed then its all good. I have just been getting that winzip of the photos of the weeds for Tinkerbell from Linda King. I have put them onto a disc as I don't have a printer but it will make life alot easier when we go on our walks collecting food for her. I would like to put some variety in the weed I give her to make her diet more nutricious and therefore keep her health smile.gif Thank you for all your help again .... No doubt I will be bending your ear about something else tomorrow lol. Hope your brood are doing well, take care smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users