To separate or not to separate? That is my question!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Ilkeston_*

Guest_Ilkeston_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:32 PM

Hi everyone,

I wanted some advice about Flower and Baby. Flower has gone ingot instant hump mode and unfortunately Baby is getting most of the attention. We (clearly) know that Flower is a male as he keeps giving us a quick flash and we think Baby is a male too but we don't know for certain as he hasn't showed his penis yet (obviously wants to keep us guessing!)

Flower and Baby have been living together since December & we haven't had any issues with them at all, no fighting or anything. Flower has now started mounting Baby a lot sometimes. Baby is only about 2 3rds the size of Flower & I haven't seen Flowers penis when he was mounting Baby, Even if Baby did turn out to be a girl he's too small for mating. I am pretty certain it is really just dominance but wanted to ask whether or not I should separate them or just leave them to sort out the pecking order between themselves? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks everyone.

Take care.

#2 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2010 - 02:46 PM

Providing they do no real damage to themselves just let them get on with it. They will sort themselves out. Too many keepers seperate at the first spat. They will get over it, unless of course its male and female. Then you will have to seperate on the odd ocassion when they are bigger/adult. As to much attention from a male can stress the female out. This does not mean seperate forever, just for a few weeks.
Just to say, male spend a lot of time practicing mating on females from day one:0)

#3 Guest_Ilkeston_*

Guest_Ilkeston_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2010 - 08:29 PM

Thanks Sandy,

We have checked Baby after Flower's 'attention' but there isn't any shell damage and Baby doesn't seem overly bothered so long as Flower doesn't take the mick! If he gets fed up he just scuttled away quickly. Flower will give chase but does get the message after Baby's trundles off a few times. Hopefully since he never bothered with Baby in the beginning there is hope he'll give up at some stage, once he's finished 'avin' a word' with him about whose boss?! Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users