Sulcata tortoises have lunch

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:47 PM

Another snap from my visit to the Acupulata Tortoise centre in Corsica. Here are some African tortoises munching on a pile of peaches. Its a tough life for some eh?

#2 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2010 - 07:12 AM

I :wub: :wub: :wub: Sully's!!!! I VERY nearly got one recently but head managed to get the better of heart! :rolleyes:

Beautiful pics x

#3 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:37 PM

Hi Oz,
What great pics. of the torts. you saw in Corsica.Hope to to see many more. Thanks for sharing Oz. :D
Kind Regards
Freddy :D

#4 Guest_italytors_*

Guest_italytors_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:59 PM

They are superb !!
Thanks, Ozric !!

Marian

#5 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:05 PM

Doesn't look tooooo tough for these guys Oz, :laugh:

Was it a very big tortoise Centre? How many different species did you see? They must need a fair bit of room! :blink:

Paula x

#6 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2010 - 05:31 PM

how cool are they!?their is a place where am going to next week in ayrshire that have a pair of theese big bhoys.cant wait to see them again

#7 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:51 PM

:blink: :blink: How big are they? I just thought those were small peaches! LOL!! :blush:

Paula x

#8 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:27 PM

The sulcata tortoises are really large. And they don't hibernate so they need to be kept toasty and warm all year round and need a lot of space.

The centre at Alcupulata is really great, the enclosures are large and the park is beatiful and well kept. They say they have 170 species there. I didn't see as many as that but I did see a really huge number of tortoises and turtles. Here is a pic of some turtles basking on a log in one of the many ponds they have on site. Sorry I don't remember what species these are - maybe someone else does?

#9 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:23 AM

Another fantastic picture, thanks for sharing Jon...

Paula, Sullys can grow on average about a metre!!! Like Jon said, they don't hibernate so need to be kept very warm all year round, even overnight. They are also mini bulldozers and can even 'smash' through a fence if they want to get somewhere they shouldn't...they have also been known to bury down 30ft! Hence why I decieded against getting one :wacko: :blink:

#10 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2010 - 04:58 PM

:laugh: sounds like a wise decision Dawn!

Oz I just love that picture, before getting the little guys I thought I might like to try photography... I particularly enjoy taking pictures of 'groups' of the same things, anything from toys to lamps and plants! :wacko: I don't have much time nowadays to learn about taking pictures, but your photo just ticked all my 'group' boxes!!
Yes, I know, a true oddbod!
Don't you just love the 2nd and 3rd ones from the bottom with raised back legs! :D

Paula x

#11 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:37 PM

Paula I never even noticed the back legs till you said that...........

Stand by for a group photo of Testudo Gracea Terrestris!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users