- - - - -

edible flowers

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2010 - 09:00 PM

Hi all hopefuly getting my hatchling next week or so got plenty of weeds about =D But I'm going to get some flowers replace soil with topsoil and let them weather. Was just wondering if yous would be kind enough to list me some edible flower please. I can then take that with me when looking.
I've got these on my list
Pansy
Campanula
Petunia
Lavatera
Nasturtium
Tree Mallow

are there any other tort faves?

Thanks in advance for your help all wink.gif x

#2 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2010 - 09:15 PM

If you look on the edible plants list most of them can be got from the garden centres

#3 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2010 - 09:16 PM

PS dont forget to post loads of pics of your new baby for us to all get broody over wub.gif

#4 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2010 - 09:54 PM

ah thanks Dawn will go and have a looksie now =D I'll make sure to post plenty of pics wink.gif can't wait now, just top soil to get 2moz and that's me got everything( I say that but know I'll buy more before tort arrives hehe)... Just waiting on contact from Darran to pick my baby, up shouldn't be long now. He sent me a pic of them all, they're adorable don't know how I'll choose 1 =D :-) listen to me going on rolleyes.gif hehe hubby is fed up of hearing about it all lol x

#5 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2010 - 12:16 AM

QUOTE (Dawn @ Jul 30 2010, 10:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you look on the edible plants list most of them can be got from the garden centres

Hi Cara,
Just a word of warning about feeding torts. stuff from garden centers.Plants and flowers there are usually sprayed with insecticides and all kinds of stuff that can be fatal to torts. Generally I would recommend avoiding garden centers and instead finding or growing wild edible plants. If you can find a safe, unsprayed source of edible plants, grasses and weeds that would be great. If you do wish to go ahead and buy stuff from a garden center then you should wash it thoroughly, pick off any flower petals and preferably replant it and wait for new growth after several weeks or so before feeding it to your tort.. Just a precaution Cara. Hope this helps. wink.gif
Kind Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

#6 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:16 AM

QUOTE (Freddy McGavin @ Jul 30 2010, 11:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you do wish to go ahead and buy stuff from a garden center then you should wash it thoroughly, pick off any flower petals and preferably replant it and wait for new growth after several weeks or so before feeding it to your tort.. Just a precaution Cara. Hope this helps. wink.gif
Kind Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

Thanks Freddie
Thats just what I plan on doing. It's just so I have some extra feed at home IF needed. I am currently attempting to grow flowers and weeds from seeds =D they were doing well untill the slugs got to them sad.gif Think I might invest in one of those mini greenhouses x

#7 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2010 - 11:43 AM

QUOTE (miller07 @ Jul 31 2010, 11:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks Freddie
Thats just what I plan on doing. It's just so I have some extra feed at home IF needed. I am currently attempting to grow flowers and weeds from seeds =D they were doing well untill the slugs got to them sad.gif Think I might invest in one of those mini greenhouses x

Hi Cara,
That's great. You seem to be well on top of things for the arrival of your new hatchling. You've probably heard the same advice a thousand times. Best to let you get on with it. Enjoy the excitement Cara. Best of luck. wink.gif
Kind Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

#8 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2010 - 03:16 PM

QUOTE (Freddy McGavin @ Jul 31 2010, 10:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Cara,
That's great. You seem to be well on top of things for the arrival of your new hatchling. You've probably heard the same advice a thousand times. Best to let you get on with it. Enjoy the excitement Cara. Best of luck. wink.gif
Kind Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

Thanks, I can't wait now. Well didn't get much a couple of marigolds, a fushia some lavender and thrift. Didn't have much choice where I went =/ I always appriciate any advice given wink.gif so thanks again x

are all parts of the flowers/plants mentioned above that i've purchased edible? x

#9 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2010 - 07:16 PM

QUOTE (miller07 @ Jul 31 2010, 04:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks, I can't wait now. Well didn't get much a couple of marigolds, a fushia some lavender and thrift. Didn't have much choice where I went =/ I always appriciate any advice given wink.gif so thanks again x

are all parts of the flowers/plants mentioned above that i've purchased edible? x

Hi Cara,
I think as you said all parts of the flowers/plants you mentioned are edible. But there's no harm waiting for Dawns advice just to be on the safe side. wink.gif
Kind Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

#10 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2010 - 11:21 PM

Ah Poop... just checked on tortoise table and I've bought the non edible type marigolds =( ah well. Thanks again Freddy x

#11 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2010 - 11:40 PM

QUOTE (miller07 @ Aug 1 2010, 12:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ah Poop... just checked on tortoise table and I've bought the non edible type marigolds =( ah well. Thanks again Freddy x

Phewww!!! Well done for checking Cara. Tortoise table is a great site. You are most definitely on top of things. ha ha!!! Can't wait to hear about the new arrival. Best of luck. wink.gif
Kind Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

#12 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2010 - 11:48 PM

QUOTE (Freddy McGavin @ Jul 31 2010, 10:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Phewww!!! Well done for checking Cara. Tortoise table is a great site. You are most definitely on top of things. ha ha!!! Can't wait to hear about the new arrival. Best of luck. wink.gif
Kind Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

Will be geting her next weekend, I'm so excited I'm like a kid at christmas lol. I've not told my daughter we're getting her next weekend so it will be a nice supprise for her =D do you have any pics of wee Billie Jo? Don't think I've seen any x

#13 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2010 - 11:56 PM

QUOTE (miller07 @ Aug 1 2010, 12:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Will be geting her next weekend, I'm so excited I'm like a kid at christmas lol. I've not told my daughter we're getting her next weekend so it will be a nice supprise for her =D do you have any pics of wee Billie Jo? Don't think I've seen any x

Posted some pics a few weeks ago of Billiejo in the garden. Think they've probably gone off the forum by now. Will take some more and post soon. She's about 50yrs+ and is quite large and is a THB just like yours. To be honest Cara I think THB's have the most beautiful faces and are quite cute so you have good things in store. Be sure to post some pics. Have you thought of a name for yours yet?

#14 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2010 - 12:01 AM

QUOTE (Freddy McGavin @ Jul 31 2010, 10:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Posted some pics a few weeks ago of Billiejo in the garden. Think they've probably gone off the forum by now. Will take some more and post soon. She's about 50yrs+ and is quite large and is a THB just like yours. To be honest Cara I think THB's have the most beautiful faces and are quite cute so you have good things in store. Be sure to post some pics. Have you thought of a name for yours yet?

Will make sure I post pics for you all to see wink.gif My daughter is naming her as it's 'her' tortoise lol at the momment she's determined to call her Rainbow. Will see if i can find those pics x

#15 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2010 - 12:13 AM

QUOTE (miller07 @ Aug 1 2010, 01:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Will make sure I post pics for you all to see wink.gif My daughter is naming her as it's 'her' tortoise lol at the momment she's determined to call her Rainbow. Will see if i can find those pics x

That's great. Your daughter will be very happy with a THB that's for sure. All this excitement makes me want to have my own hatchling. he!he!! Anyway your daughter will be able to grow up alongside her tort and someday she'll be 50 just like mine. That's the great things about torts. as long as their well cared for they'll always be around to share family moments and to grow old gracefully with. I better stop now Cara as I'm getting all nostalgic. ha!ha!!! Goodnight ,take care and talk soon. biggrin.gif
Kind Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

#16 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2010 - 12:43 AM

Hi Cara,
Here is a recent pic. of my THB 'Billiejo' in the garden. She is 50+yrs. Hope you enjoy. biggrin.gif
Kind Regards biggrin.gif
Freddy

#17 Guest_lennonbo_*

Guest_lennonbo_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2010 - 07:17 AM

QUOTE (Freddy McGavin @ Jul 31 2010, 11:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Cara,
Here is a recent pic. of my THB 'Billiejo' in the garden. She is 50+yrs. Hope you enjoy. biggrin.gif
Kind Regards biggrin.gif
Freddy

She is gorgeous Freddy smile.gif However looks huge compared to Tinkerbell ... It must be those 48 years she has on her lol biggrin.gif

#18 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2010 - 09:03 AM

I think we are all the same when it comes to getting a tort, even if we already have a couple. Its VERY EXCITING!!

Oz

#19 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2010 - 09:23 AM

QUOTE (Freddy McGavin @ Aug 1 2010, 01:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Cara,
Kind Regards biggrin.gif
Freddy

Awww....she's lovely Freddy such a pretty wee face and a lovely smooth shell x

#20 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2010 - 09:24 AM

QUOTE (Ozric @ Aug 1 2010, 10:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think we are all the same when it comes to getting a tort, even if we already have a couple. Its VERY EXCITING!!

Oz

Well that's good to know, makes me feel a bit more 'normal' lol wink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users