- - - - -

Tortoise bladder stone

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_niteowls23_*

Guest_niteowls23_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2010 - 12:53 AM

Hi we have a spur thigh tortoise who we have been taking to the vets a number of times as she is not eating and has not had a poo for over a month now. They have done an x ray and think she has either bladder stones or bowel stones. They are saying it will cost 600 to do the op and we do not have the money to get it done. I have asked to pay them monthly but they will not allow us to do this.
Can anyone give us any help or advice please?

If we do not get the op done soon she can die.

many thanks

#2 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2010 - 07:02 AM

Firstly I would try and find another tortoise vet. As in a lot of cases, vets try and break up the stone before putting a tortoise under and operate on them. Sometimes soaking can help.
I know of one keeper whose tortoise had a stone and it was broken up with ultra sound.
So I would get a second opinion if possible.

#3 Guest_niteowls23_*

Guest_niteowls23_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2010 - 01:57 PM

Hi many thanks for replying to me. There is only 1 vet I can find round our area that know and deal with tortoises, but I am not happy that they will not help us out and want to do a number of tests on our tortoise which I do not know if she needs them all.

I have heard of the stones being broken down before too.
thanks again

#4 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2010 - 08:00 PM

Hi there,

If you let us know the area you are in someone may be able to point you in the direction of a good vet close by?

Paula x

#5 Guest_niteowls23_*

Guest_niteowls23_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2010 - 08:40 PM

Hi We live in northamptonshire. The vet we was told about is in Bedford and another in Loughborough, but they are the ones who want 600 up front.

many thanks

#6 Guest_brontie1328_*

Guest_brontie1328_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:27 PM

I take it this is a young tortoise , did you see the xray ? , if so what size are the stones ?

#7 Guest_Gemzyfish_*

Guest_Gemzyfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:43 PM

Hi. I'm in a similar situation and wondered how you managed to sort out the issue? :-(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users