Outdoor Enclosure Help

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_chany_*

Guest_chany_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2010 - 08:15 PM

i am currently thinking about building an enclosure for a tortoise i am to purchase. i am deciding wether inside or outside is better-i have plennty of room inside and outbut outside ther are a number of cats which roam freely so how and what would i do to build an enclosure and would it be better to just keep them inside ?? :blush:

#2 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:10 PM

What size is your new tort? Is it a Hermanns? Are you looking at a year round option?

During the warm summer months your tortoise really should be outside in a secure, safe, enclosure/garden. If you are talking of a very young tort you will need the enclosure to be covered with a wire mesh to prevent it being taken by birds and to protect him from foxes/rats.

When the weather cools down or if we have a prolonged wet, dreary spell of weather your tort will need to be warmed up under a heat lamp. Would you be able to provide this in an outside shelter?

Otherwise torty will need both options. To start with a small tort could be kept indoors and put outside into an outdoor enclosure during the warmer months.

You could use one of the indoor rabbit cages. Have a look in the enclosure section it might give you some ideas.

Paula x

#3 Guest_chany_*

Guest_chany_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:14 PM

its a hermanns tortoise and i am thinking about purchaasing this tablehttp://www.carlislet...o.uk/page8.htmlbut jst wanderin if inside is defo ok+ its hard for me to get outdoor elec and cos lots of cats etc most outdoor enclosures show them open??and yes a good year round option

#4 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:41 PM

Hi Chany

unless you plan to spend a heap of cash then you are going to need a tortoise table set up inside your home. In the summer, Hermann tortoises really benefit from being outside but they need quite a bit of help from us to make this viable for them. Its just not possible for them to live outside in the cooler parts of the year unless you are thinking of getting a large greenhouse and spending a huge amount on heating and lighting.

My outdoor enclosure has a lid of chicken wire pinned onto wooden frames. This is keep out birds. I can take them off when I am there to keep an eye on things.

Personally I don't think a Hermann tortoise should be stuck indoors all the time but some people will say this is alright. Most of us have indoors and outdoors places to put them depending what time of year it is and what the weather is like.

It can be done but there is quite a lot to think about before launching into it.

Hope this helps a bit.

Oz

#5 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2010 - 06:47 AM

I agree with "Oz" no tortoise should be inside all year around, its not natural for them. They are wanderers and need the natural sunlight on their backs.
I personally would never ever buy from the site you mentioned. They have a bad reputation for tortoises. I would be far better for you to buy from a private breeder. There are a lot of hermans breeders out there.
You could get a large rabbit cage if your tortoise is a small one. These make great outside enclosures until they get bigger. Asking on "Freecycle" for anyone who has one and no longer needs it, can get you one for free.
Cats dont generally cause tortoises any problems, its large birds like magpies and the like you have to think about.

#6 Guest_chany_*

Guest_chany_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:47 AM

sorry end bit confused me about freecycle?? and also if i was to use a large rabbit cage would i need outdoor electricity??

#7 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2010 - 12:21 PM

Freecycle is a site where anyone can put up for offer something that is in good condition they no longer want. To save it going to the tip.
Its a way of recycling objects people no longer want/need and it saves it from going into landfill.
I am on four in my local area.
I use a rabbit cage outside for my last months hatchlings. They go in it outside with no extra heat.
Tortoises do a lot better when outside, they come into their own when outside.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users