Newbie has got some questions

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:39 PM

Hi There,
I think you're doing a fantastic job with your tort. You're asking the right questions and doing the right things and to be honest I don't think you'll have any problems.
You're doing all a responsible keeper could do and I think that's great. If you're ever worried about any aspect of your torts. welfare please post your question no matter how silly or insignificant it may seem(we've all been there) and there will always be somebody here on hand to help.Best of luck to you and to Dandellion. wink.gif
Kind Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

#22 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2010 - 06:40 AM

Dandelion is a beautiful looking tort, lovely smooth shell. Have you had her sexed yet? If not post a pic of her tail area and we'll have a look for you.

#23 Guest_kronk_*

Guest_kronk_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2010 - 07:16 AM

QUOTE (Dawn @ Aug 19 2010, 05:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dandelion is a beautiful looking tort, lovely smooth shell. Have you had her sexed yet? If not post a pic of her tail area and we'll have a look for you.

No and i dont think her previous owner quite knew if she was actually a she i will get a pic up tonight when i get back i will probally do it while she has a warm bath rolleyes.gif

#24 Guest_kronk_*

Guest_kronk_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2010 - 12:32 PM

A little update! last night after i got in she had eaten all her food i would have normally given her more but i do not want to over feed her!!! She had a bit of a strop had a good walk around her table looking for food barging things out the way etc etc. I am just curious if iam giving her the right amount of food? is there an amount in grams i could give her ? i normally give her a handfull of dandelions leaves and clove leaves mixed up in the morning on her food slab she then tends to eat then go under the basking lamp for abit she then repeats when she wants. She was also very slow this morning and rather than go and bask she was more concerend with eating

#25 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2010 - 01:02 PM

QUOTE (kronk @ Aug 19 2010, 01:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A little update! last night after i got in she had eaten all her food i would have normally given her more but i do not want to over feed her!!! She had a bit of a strop had a good walk around her table looking for food barging things out the way etc etc. I am just curious if iam giving her the right amount of food? is there an amount in grams i could give her ? i normally give her a handfull of dandelions leaves and clove leaves mixed up in the morning on her food slab she then tends to eat then go under the basking lamp for abit she then repeats when she wants. She was also very slow this morning and rather than go and bask she was more concerend with eating

Hi There,
I think a shell size amount of food given daily is a good guide of how much to feed her. She sounds like she is getting a bit of a taste for food all the time but you don't want to over-feed. You will have to persevere with a given amount of food and ignore her strop. You will also be able to better judge how much to feed her after you've weighed her a couple of times. When you do manage to get her outside, over-feeding won't be as much of a problem. Hope this helps. Best of luck wink.gif
Kind Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

#26 Guest_kronk_*

Guest_kronk_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2010 - 06:31 PM

she has just had a wee!!!!!!!! but it was quite alot???? I bathed her in luke warm water and about 10 mins afterwards she has wee'd about 3 times each abit smaller than the last this is new to me as its the first time i have seen her do it?? Her water bowl was dirty when i got in from work and my mum says she hasnt seen her in the water but she might have been in it for a drink??? so this is probally her first wee at her new home??? She is also having a good dig at the moment and i have turned off the lights and heat , the wee has worried me quite alot as it looked like alot of wee for such a small thing. She is now under her log and falling asleep i have some pics

Here are some pics of her tail etc

And her first bath which she didnt seem to enjoy to much i gave her shell a very light scrub and bathed her legs etc etc she then got back in her table and got dirty lol

And i also found some huge leaves and iam sure they are dandelion leaves but iam not sure what do you guys think??

#27 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:19 PM

Hi,
She looks like a female to me. Congratulations. Males often flash that's how you can usually tell. Her pics look great. She certainly is a cute little thing. The leaves look like they're from the dandelion family. Don't worry too much about her wee they do sometimes go in large quantities. You're probably right she probably did drink from her water today. She's also eating well too. All good signs. So, little madam, will have to relieve herself !he!he!! Keep in touch. Best of luck. wink.gif
Kind Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

#28 Guest_kronk_*

Guest_kronk_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:58 PM

QUOTE (Freddy McGavin @ Aug 19 2010, 07:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,
She looks like a female to me. Congratulations. Males often flash that's how you can usually tell. Her pics look great. She certainly is a cute little thing. The leaves look like they're from the dandelion family. Don't worry too much about her wee they do sometimes go in large quantities. You're probably right she probably did drink from her water today. She's also eating well too. All good signs. So, little madam, will have to relieve herself !he!he!! Keep in touch. Best of luck. wink.gif
Kind Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

Yes she is eating very well she was super energetic today eating faster than normal and really tearing at the leaves !! It was like she was going to jump up to get at the leaves lol she will grab a leaf stamp on it to get some grip on it then tear it to pieces i felt sorry for the plant. The good thing is that the missus really loves her and loves giving her a cuddle which is a relief as some people get a bit freaked out by reptiles etc

#29 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2010 - 10:46 PM

QUOTE (kronk @ Aug 19 2010, 10:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes she is eating very well she was super energetic today eating faster than normal and really tearing at the leaves !! It was like she was going to jump up to get at the leaves lol she will grab a leaf stamp on it to get some grip on it then tear it to pieces i felt sorry for the plant. The good thing is that the missus really loves her and loves giving her a cuddle which is a relief as some people get a bit freaked out by reptiles etc

She sounds like a real character and seems to have developed a fine little personality of her own. Great that your wife likes her too. I wish you a lifetimes happiness with her. She's certainly in good hands. Keep us posted....
Kind Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

#30 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2010 - 10:32 AM

Do you know, I don't think I will ever learn to sex a young tort, if I were to have had a guess then I would have said she is a MALE! biggrin.gif rolleyes.gif
Shhh don't let her hear, she will have the right hump! wub.gif
Perhaps we should all post lots of pics and then perhaps it might become more obvious!

Paula x

#31 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2010 - 06:59 PM

Actually, I have to disagree with Freddie & agree with Paula...I'd say an immature male based on the shape of the anal scute - in females it tends to be a 'v' shape and the males a 'u' shape. I may be wrong, I think you're going to have to wait a bit longer with this one to be sure. You could try taking some more pics and a slightly different angle?

#32 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2010 - 09:03 PM

Hi There,
The reasons why I thought Dandelion was female were:
1. Her tail is smaller
2. The spur and her tail tip curve inwards towards her body.
3. Her plasteron is flat and exhibits no hollows or dips like that of males
4. She has not flashed yet to indicate she is male.
5. The person who sold the tort. also thought she was female
6. I have compared her to my own female tort and all these characteristics check out.
Of course I could be wrong as she is still relatively young and I understand we may have to wait a little longer just to confirm this.
But these are my reasons nonetheless. I'll let those in tortoiseland make up their own minds, if they can. Best of luck wink.gif
Kind Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

#33 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2010 - 09:16 PM

QUOTE (Freddy McGavin @ Aug 20 2010, 10:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi There,
The reasons why I thought Dandelion was female were:
1. Her tail is smaller
2. The spur and her tail tip point inwards towards her body.
3. Her plasteron is flat and exhibits no hollows or dips like that of males
4. She has not flashed yet to indicate she is male.
5. The person the who sold the tort. also thought she was female
6. I have compared her to my own female tort and all these characteristics check out.
Of course I could be wrong as she is still relatively young and I understand we may have to wait a little longer just to confirm this.
But these are my reasons nonetheless. I'll let those in tortoiseland make up there own minds, if they can. Best of luck wink.gif
Kind Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

YOu may well be right Freddie, but in answer to the above, she is still only 5yrs old, which is very young to be able to sex, that said Frank was 5 when I got him and very obviously a male, whereas Archie/Amber is 5yrs now and still not 100% sure. I can discount no 2, 3, 4 - some of mine are the opposite but very def female, so they are not 100% foolproof, no 5 - she says the previous owner didnt know if she was a girl, also up until recently you thought yours was a male?

Maybe we can have regular 'guess the sex' comps!!! LOL! wink.gif

#34 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2010 - 09:32 PM

QUOTE (Dawn @ Aug 20 2010, 10:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
YOu may well be right Freddie, but in answer to the above, she is still only 5yrs old, which is very young to be able to sex, that said Frank was 5 when I got him and very obviously a male, whereas Archie/Amber is 5yrs now and still not 100% sure. I can discount no 2, 3, 4 - some of mine are the opposite but very def female, so they are not 100% foolproof, no 5 - she says the previous owner didnt know if she was a girl, also up until recently you thought yours was a male?

Maybe we can have regular 'guess the sex' comps!!! LOL! wink.gif

Funny that as he refers to her as a she in all his posts. He obviously must have been left with that impression by the seller. As for discounting 2,3 and 4, I don't think you can discount anything, particularly when your sexing a tort. True, I did think my own tort. was a male up to a few months ago because of mis-information I had read in a book. I hadn't got access to this excellent forum at the time. And I do agree, maybe we should have regular 'guess the sex' comps as it is indeed difficult to sex them at such a young age, though we do try! ha!ha!!! Best of luck Dawn. wink.gif
Kind Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

#35 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2010 - 09:35 PM

QUOTE (Freddy McGavin @ Aug 20 2010, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Funny that as he refers to her as a she in all his posts. He obviously must have been left with that impression by the seller. As for discounting 2,3 and 4, I don't think you can discount anything particularly when your sexing a tort. True, I did think my own tort. was a male up to a few months ago because of mis-information I had read in a book. I hadn't got access to this excellent forum at the time. And I do agree, maybe we should have regular'guess the sex' comps as it is indeed difficult to sex them at such a young age, though we do try! ha!ha!!! Best of luck Dawn. wink.gif
Kind Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

I've still got two of mine that Im not sure off yet, at the moment they are displaying signs of both! blink.gif wacko.gif rolleyes.gif

#36 Guest_kronk_*

Guest_kronk_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:40 PM

the previous owner said dandelion was a female but she was not very clear and didnt seem very clued up on the subject.

#37 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2010 - 07:06 AM

QUOTE (kronk @ Aug 25 2010, 08:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the previous owner said dandelion was a female but she was not very clear and didnt seem very clued up on the subject.

If you post a picture of the plasteron (under shell tail end) we can have a go at sexing your tortoise for you.

#38 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2010 - 10:51 AM

QUOTE (cyberangel @ Aug 26 2010, 08:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you post a picture of the plasteron (under shell tail end) we can have a go at sexing your tortoise for you.

Hi Sandy,
There are some pics of the plasteron a few posts back. Hope this helps.
Kind Regards
Freddy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users