caught them in the act!!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_JEANETTE_*

Guest_JEANETTE_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2010 - 04:35 PM

:blush: Hi everyone

I was wondering if someone could advise me..

I have been tortoise sitting for my friends hermann (he's approx 4.5 years old) and I have Cola(my female hermann) who is approx 5.5 years old.. they were brought up together but we separated them last year due to him pestering her..
Anyway I have found them a couple of times with him mounted on her, mouth wide open and making an awful noise.. I then went straight over to separate them and looked at his bits immediately but i couldn't see anything only his tail, however there was an awful wet mess over his tail and all over her little tail which looked like the white stuff that comes out when they wee. I am sure he didn't know exactly what he was doing as I also caught him doing this to her before but to her wrong end..he he

I'm really worried as I feel I am not experienced enough to successfully look after eggs..

1, do you think they managed IT?
2, how would I know if she was pregnant?
3, how long are they pregnant?
4, unlike humans do they conceive every time they "do it"?

I'd appreciate any advice

Regards
Jeanette & Cola

#2 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2010 - 04:43 PM

Hi Jeanette,
Maybe you could keep them in separate enclosures????????????????????????????
Regards
Freddy

#3 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2010 - 04:48 PM

Lol, firstly how long are you tortoise sitting?
Tortoises practice mating for a long time before they lay eggs. They have to be a certain size before the female is mature enough to lay eggs.
Even if it were a succsesful mating, she still might not lay eggs. Or if she is gravid, then it can be weeks before egg laying happens.
I hope this helps.

#4 Guest_JEANETTE_*

Guest_JEANETTE_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:44 PM

Thanks.. I feel like i'm learning something every day. Luckily his owner is now back from the V festival and has taken him home.. I did when possible keep them separated but occasionally they did get together.
I think she may need to find someone else to look after him from now.

Thanks again

Jeanette & Cola

#5 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2010 - 10:48 PM

Hi Jeanette,
Hopefully Cola doesn't have any eggs. If the situation happens again in future my advice would be to keep them separated. Hope this helps. ;)
Kind Regards
Freddy :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users