Dandelions new indoor enclosure

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_kronk_*

Guest_kronk_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:38 PM

Hi guys this took me and me dad a few hours and will need painting soon and some proper light stands eventually, my thermometer and new repti-sun 10 uv bulb is coming tommorow so will get them fitted soon.

#2 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:52 PM

Looking good!!!Best of luck with the new fittings. ;)
Kind Regards
Freddy :D

#3 Guest_Jessiiee x_*

Guest_Jessiiee x_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2010 - 10:34 AM

That is really good you must have spent ages on that!

I love the little rock area, im getting a new vivarium and i was going to put some rocks in but i wasnt sure weither you needed proper tortoise rocks or there just normal ones?

That is quite a good size as well!! so how old is your tortoise and how big is the cage? around 2 foot? 3 foot?

well done so have you decided what colour you are going to paint it??
Has it got a roof as well ??

thankyou lots of love

Jessica
xxxxxxxxxxxxx

#4 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2010 - 05:52 PM

Hi Jessica,

Seeing as you are looking for a new home for your tort have you thought about an indoor rabbit cage, or a table top enclosure? They really are much better for your little one, he will be able to regulate his temerature, warming up but being able to cool down when he needs to. This is far more difficult to achieve in a vivarium.
The indoor rabbit cages are available in lots of different colours and may also be cheaper than a viv.

http://www.petsathom...-ferplast-37559

This is the sort of thing, but may be cheaper elsewhere. The bigger you can get the better.

Lots of people make their own tables using upturned bookcases or other furniture, these can be bought 2nd hand and will be better for torty than the viv.

Paula x

#5 Guest_kronk_*

Guest_kronk_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2010 - 09:47 AM

Hi i again its not got a roof its my indoor enclosure but i will get round to building an outdoor one eventually, i was going to paint it white but thought a tortoise colour theme might be on the agenda. Dandelion is a 5year old female (we think) and the table is about 3 foot long i forgot the dimensions but i have limited space so made it wider than it is long. It was very easy to make we got some thickish wood lying around (my dad likes his DIY) and some screws and an electric drill with all the attachments etc. It took us most of the afternoon but we took our time and didnt rush, i was going to buy one but 160 quid for the size i wanted was to expensive so i built this.

The stones were my fathers out of a wing chun/kung fu punching bag (i know very strange and they hurt to punch) he had boil washed them for me and rinsed them alot so they were very clean. But you should be able to pick them up from any good garden centre ! make sure to get stones that your tort cannot swallow !!!

Bit of an update my thermometer came and the heat at the warm end of the table is around 24-26c she is loving her hutch to as i have got her some readigrass and she is burrowing around in it. The repti glow bulb arrived smashed to pieces and iam very angry about this i have rang them and left a message and hopefully they will send me a new bulb out that is more heavily packaged!!!!

#6 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2010 - 12:27 AM

Hi There,
Your set-up seems to be well on the way to being the perfect indoor enclosure. Don't forget the readigrass will need changing once a week.Please let us know how you
get on. Best of luck ;)
Kind Regards
Freddy :D

#7 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2010 - 03:01 PM

Hello there,

The preferred body temperature of our torts is 35C to enable metabolism to work properly. Would you be able to lower your lamp a little to try for a temperature around 32C?
I realise this is lower than the preferred 35C, but it is a balancing act when inside, safety under lights etc V body function needs and so a compromise is best practice.

Paula x

#8 Guest_kronk_*

Guest_kronk_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2010 - 05:18 PM

this is a funny one i was told basking temps should be 26c max??? but everybook i have read said they should be 35c and 26c outside of the basking lamp???????? so is it 35c under the basking lamp or 26c confused

#9 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2010 - 06:13 PM

Hi there,

32C under the lamp is a good temperature. They CAN tolerate a little higher, but it is not recommended indoors because they could potentially stay under the lamp for ages and this wouldn't be so good over a long period of time. Also, there is the risk of flipping over and at temperatures of over 32C this could prove fatal in a short space of time. (Still potentially fatal at 32C but would take a little longer, it is kind of about managing risk)
The cooler end should be around 22C. If the torts want to be 26C they could sit somewhere in between! :D

Paula x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users