• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_paula271066_*

Guest_paula271066_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2010 - 11:14 AM

wub.gif

Hi All

Lol im here again after some advice. How often do torts poo, Victor has only pooped 4 times since ive had him, I got him around 25th May, as you all know he wasnt eating properly for sometime, but has now started eating properly since we got Madge, can I expect to see some pooping now hes eating properly cos I know it takes some time for a tort to digest its food. Is there anything I can do to help him or should I just leave him to his own device. He does have warm baths daily for around 15 mins.

Paula

#2 Guest_wuz06_*

Guest_wuz06_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2010 - 12:25 PM

Hi Paula,

My tortoise has never done one in the bath despite having long soaks, she always waits until I put her back and then I have to hunt around in her soil looking for them rolleyes.gif

Nettle usually goes once every other day, sometimes everyday, but thats my experience and im not sure if that is normal or just my tort! Im glad to hear yours is eating normally now! Hopefully someone will come along and be able to give you a better answer!

Louise

xxx

#3 Guest_paula271066_*

Guest_paula271066_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2010 - 01:33 PM

QUOTE (wuz06 @ Aug 29 2010, 01:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Paula,

My tortoise has never done one in the bath despite having long soaks, she always waits until I put her back and then I have to hunt around in her soil looking for them rolleyes.gif

Nettle usually goes once every other day, sometimes everyday, but thats my experience and im not sure if that is normal or just my tort! Im glad to hear yours is eating normally now! Hopefully someone will come along and be able to give you a better answer!

Louise

xxx

Thanks for that Louise, Victor may have done some in the soil and I havent seen, but do check.

Paula xx

#4 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2010 - 03:22 PM

QUOTE (paula271066 @ Aug 29 2010, 02:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for that Louise, Victor may have done some in the soil and I havent seen, but do check.

Paula xx

a tortoise will eat its poo!!if you dont get to it first!!

#5 Guest_paula271066_*

Guest_paula271066_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2010 - 03:26 PM

QUOTE (brucefairweather @ Aug 29 2010, 04:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
a tortoise will eat its poo!!if you dont get to it first!!

Ewww, will make a point of watching him more closely, thanks Bruce

#6 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2010 - 03:42 PM

Hi Paula,
When a tort is eating regularly it will normally pee every 1 to 2 days and pooh every 3 to 4 days. I hope this helps. Best of luck wink.gif
Kind Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

#7 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2010 - 03:48 PM

They do have some wonderful habits don't they!! biggrin.gif

In answer to your question about how often they go Paula, well it depends on lots of things, (doesn't it just always...)
It depends on how much they eat. Temperatures, high ambient temps mean torty eats more so the time food is in the gut is shorter, low temps = eat less, longer in the gut. Also the type of food that is eaten, whether it is rich in raw fibres or not.

Paula x

#8 Guest_paula271066_*

Guest_paula271066_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2010 - 03:53 PM

QUOTE (Freddy McGavin @ Aug 29 2010, 04:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Paula,
When a tort is eating regularly it will normally pee every 1 to 2 days and pooh every 3 to 4 days. I hope this helps. Best of luck wink.gif
Kind Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

Thanks for that Freddy, I know when I got Madge, she peed all over my hand wasnt the white stuff, was water. Something that I had never seen Victor do, but after I took Victor out of his bath last week, he peed and thats the first time ive seen him do it, seen the white stuff with him before but nothing else, so presume thats cos hes eating, so hopefully I should see some poops soon.

Paula

#9 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2010 - 04:14 PM

Keep an eye out Paula you should see poop soon. ha!ha!!! As Paula said in her post sometimes it can depend on the type of food your tort eats and the temps. But the answer I gave you is a more general guide. Hope it helps. Best of luck to you Paula and to Victor and Madge too. biggrin.gif
Kind Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

#10 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2010 - 04:19 PM

Hi Paula,

The white stuff you see is urates, it is the end product of protein digestion and is stored in the urinary bladder, when torty wees it passes both urine and urates. It should always be creamy in texture. If it is ever grainy it is a sign of dehydration and bathing should be 'upped'.

Paula x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users