Urates??

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_wuz06_*

Guest_wuz06_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2010 - 08:02 AM

Hey guys!

I understand that when tortoise's wee they pass urine and urate and I believe the urates should be quite creamy in consistency (lovely topic to be writing about at this time in the morning!) However, I have observed Nettle weeing almost everyday since I have had her and I have never really noticed anything white in her wee, but yesterday she did a wee in her water bowl and there was quite a lot of white stuff in it (which I presume was her urates!) however it did look a bit gritty! :(

I noticed a few weeks back as well that this had happened put ignored it and put it down as a one off!

I am doing the same thing with her that I have done every day, she has a long soak in the morning, a feed and then she does her own thing and she is always in and out of her water bowl so I was wondering if you could help me out with why it is happening now!?? She has been tucking into dandelions the last few days which she hasnt had in ages so I werent sure if this had something to do with it!

Any help would be much appreciated!

xxx

#2 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2010 - 08:13 AM

I would up the baths to two a day for a week and see if that has any effect on the gritty urates. It is a sign of dehydration, when they are under lights with the same temperatures all the time it can make them a little dehydrated all the time. So upping the baths should have the right effect.

#3 Guest_wuz06_*

Guest_wuz06_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2010 - 08:49 AM

Ah ok then! Thanks for the reply Sandy! She has been indoors quite a lot lately because we have had nasty weather so it is probably the effect of being back under her lamp most days!! I will up the baths and hopefully it will get better!

Thanks!

xx

#4 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2010 - 06:47 PM

Hi there,

According to the tortoise table website dandelion is a diuretic and can cause dehydration in small torts. They are fine fed as part of a mixed diet.

Extra bathing is the way to go!

http://www.thetortoi..._19.asp?catID=5

Paula x

#5 Guest_wuz06_*

Guest_wuz06_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2010 - 08:04 AM

Thanks for the reply Paula, I have looked at that website before so that is perhaps where I got my suspicion from! She is only tiny so perhaps it was the dandelions!

I have upped the baths to two a day! She was not impressed, she loves her baths of a morning but then when I put her in for her second one later on in the day she looked at me briefly and then tried to climb out! She is so stubborn at times but we got there in the end! Hopefully this will do the trick!

Thanks for the advice!

xx

#6 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2010 - 11:51 AM

Personally I have never had a dehydrated hatchling/young tortoise while feeding dandelions. And would rather go by experience than the written word.
Sometimes mine are fed dandies a lot if that is all that is around, and never had a dehydrated tortoise.
I do have water available in their enclosure all the time, and they regularly use it, maybe it helps more.

#7 Guest_wuz06_*

Guest_wuz06_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2010 - 03:29 PM

Im not sure what it is to be honest! I just want it sorted! She has been in and out of her water bowl today and has been enjoying the sunshine and when she did a wee it looked quite normal so hopefully she is on the mend!

Thanks for all your help

xx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users