Need advice... Hatchling not eating very much

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Nigelisabelle_*

Guest_Nigelisabelle_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2005 - 01:51 AM

Hi,

We brought home Samson & Delilah on Saturday and both were super active and zooming around the place. Both were eating on Saturday.

Delilah has eaten like a maniac every day and has a healthy appetite, however Samson finally eat for the first time yesterday and I cried with relief but it was short lived because he didn't eat at all today and he's much less active that Delilah.

I'm a little concerned. I'm doing everything right. My temps are high 80's, some days 90 under the basking lamp. Good substrate, a hide and a variety of foods. When he ate yesterday it was dandelion leaves and shredded baby carrot.

He sleeps an awful lot.

I bath him and soak him (Delilah too).

I know that no two Tortoises are the same but there is such a difference between these two. I feel sick that he could be sick :( I spoke to the breeder and he assured me that he was eating before I brought him home and that it takes a couple of days to adjust.

His eyes are clear and nothing looks out of the ordinary.

Suggestions please :D

#2 Guest_seesaw_*

Guest_seesaw_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2005 - 12:39 PM

Hi, just letting you know that mine were exactly the same when i got them. I bought 2 in April, both of which acted different from each other.

One burried itself and slept all day. I had to wake him up myself. He didn't eat for a week. I was worried like you are.

My other one was very active and couldn't eat enough.

Now they are both fine. They eat, sleep and drink without and intervention from me. They are very active and friendly and have gained weight.

Some torts just take longer to settle in than others. Avoid picking them up too often, this will help them settle in. Your temps sound fine, aslong as they can move to cooler areas when they want.

Hope this helps.

Graham

#3 Guest_Nigelisabelle_*

Guest_Nigelisabelle_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2005 - 01:55 PM

Dear Graham,

Firstly I love your name! It's totally British and I may even use it for my next Tortoise! I have a Greyhound named Nigel and all the Americans just love his name!!! (I'm from the UK too!)

Thanks for making me feel better. I'm so worried. I swear I'll never have hatchlings again!!! It's too stressful!! :D Just kidding! I only pick them up to soak them so that's a good thing. And I'll just give Samson time I guess to adjust.

Thanks so much Graham!
Joanne

#4 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2005 - 03:23 PM

Hello Donna
Graham is correct, some tortoise take longer to settle down, but keep an eye on him, and make sure you keep his soaks up while his appetite is low, what temperature is the cool end where the hide is:?
Arnie

#5 Guest_Nigelisabelle_*

Guest_Nigelisabelle_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2005 - 02:10 AM

Cool temp area around hide is 73 degrees. Not sure what that is in the UK.

#6 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2005 - 08:11 AM

Hello Joanne
Getting your names mixed up, must be getting old :-)
I understand 73 degree's better than the celcius, I think thats about mid 20's about 24/5 celcius, anyway that is still a bit warm, but if it's hot where you are, then it can't be helped, make sure no light from the heat lamp gets to it and it's as far away from the heat source as possible, if it is warm in that part of the States, can they, or are they outside, if so they need no heat source at all, the best uv is the natural one. They will still need somewhere cool to go to though, soft soil under a bush where they can dig into, a half broken plant pot, not the plastic one though.
Hope his appetite soon comes back
Arnie

#7 Guest_Nigelisabelle_*

Guest_Nigelisabelle_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2005 - 12:03 PM

Thanks Artie (oops I mean Arnie!!!) haha just getting you back for calling me Donna!!!!! :(

I'm going to work on getting that area cooled down a little. They very rarely go to the cool end of the enclosure.

They burrow into the substrate (50/50 mix sand/soil) and love it! I'm off work for the next 3 days so I can supervise a little more.
I'm sure Samson is just adjusting and he did nibble a tiny bit of food yesterday.

Happy Friday :D
Joanne

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users