Bedding

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_sweetheartblues_*

Guest_sweetheartblues_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:21 PM

Hello,

I'm new to the world of tortoises and would just like some advice on what is the best bedding for a tortoise in an indoor inclosure. At the moment its been burying itself into newspaper cuttings in its shelter which it seems to enjoy. Any help would be much appreciated :)

#2 Guest_xsammie89x_*

Guest_xsammie89x_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2010 - 07:33 AM

Hi and welcome

For the whole enclosure i just use topsoil, i make it deeper in the colder compartment which has a lid on, so they can bury down. What youllfind is that your tortoise will decide where it wants to sleep for itself, so although you make a sleeping area it might not use it.

I have four tortoises, my 2 and a half year olds; one sleeps in the cold end and one sleeps in the warm end in the corner closest to the light.

My 2 month olds; neither sleep in the lidded area, they prefer to dig in the same corner together until you cant actually see them anymore lol

So personally, i would just use the same substrate as the rest of the enclosure which i would reccomend using either topsoil, or a topsoil and playsand mix

Hope this helps :)

Sam

#3 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2010 - 11:11 AM

Hi There and Welcome to the forum,
If you are looking for soft bedding you could try using readigrass available from most reptile shops. This would need to be changed at least once a week. Hope this helps. Best of luck ;)
Kind Regards
Freddy :D

#4 Guest_Pat_*

Guest_Pat_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2010 - 12:53 PM

Hi, I use topsoil and play sand 70/30 mix (I used to use 50/50 but it irritated one of the girls eyes). I find this easy to spot clean as well and every few weeks take the top layer off. I have put my soil into gravel trays from the garden centre so they can be watered along with the few weeds I grow in there ready for when they come out of hibernation.

Hope this helps. Everyone has their own preferred mix / type etc.

Pat x

#5 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2010 - 05:37 PM

Soil is the most natural substrate you can use, and the best:0)

#6 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2010 - 11:06 PM

If you want to offer some natural softer material then you can use sphagnum moss. Its quite safe. I have few lumps of it around sleeping areas and the tortoises do hide in it sometimes. But I don't honestly think they enjoy a comfy bed the way I do!

#7 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2010 - 08:44 PM

Hi there,

Welcome to the forum. :)

Pat is right, everyone has their preferred mix of sand and soil. I think it depends on the soil you use and how 'heavy' it is. I use bagged topsoil without anything added and this is fairly light so I don't add play sand to it. In an outside enclosure if the soil was a heavy clay, childrens playsand could be added to make it better for digging.

I would be a little concerned about using shredded newspaper near the hot heatbulbs.

Paula x

#8 Guest_frenchypompom_*

Guest_frenchypompom_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2010 - 06:10 PM

Hi there,

I'm myself new to the world of toirtoises.
I got my first one 2wks ago and first, I got a few different substrates and beddings to try and see which she'd like most.
She seems to love the ProRep Straw Bedding to sleep in. She digs a hole in there and cuddle up.
I got her a little friend today and gave her the same thing for her sleeping area and she's done exactly the same.

It's not very expensive and can be found in good pet stores.
Hope you find something your toirtoise like.
Take Care
Carine

#9 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2010 - 06:36 PM

Hi Carine,
Nice to hear from you again.Hope your keeping well and that Charlie is doing fine. Also, congratulations on your new tort addition. That's wonderful news. Just a comment on the straw bedding you're using. It can contain mold spores which are harmful to torts. A good type of soft bedding is readigrass which is slightly different and is available from most reptile shops. This needs to be changed at least once a week. Hope this helps Carine. Best of luck with your torts. ;)
Kind Regards

#10 Guest_sweetheartblues_*

Guest_sweetheartblues_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2010 - 11:30 AM

Thank you all very much for all your help, I'm going to look around for different soils to see what my tortoise prefers! The newspaper shreddings are under a shelter so not in danger from the heat lamp :)

#11 Guest_*Tinkerbell*_*

Guest_*Tinkerbell*_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2010 - 01:38 PM

Personally I believe that Topsoil is the best and most natural substrate...I have found that Readigrass and Tortoise Substrate sold in petshops are rather expensive whereas you can buy Topsoil in HUGE bags (ranging from 15L-35L) from most garden centres (e.g. B&Q) for around £3-£5 :)
And as already stated straw and hay is unsuitable bedding as it can habour mould spores potentially resulting in respiratory and such like problems.

Hope this helps :)

#12 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2010 - 06:30 PM

Hi There,
I think it is good idea to provide a little contrast when it comes to bedding/substrates for torts as this is what they would encounter in their natural habitat. Of course it also has to be safe. I also understand that everyone is different and has their own particular preferences and I agree that ultimately a tort will decide where it wants to sleep. But I think it's nice to provide them with a bit of variety and choice when it comes to bedding/substrates. Only my opinion though. Best of luck ;)
Kind Regards

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users