Starting early...?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_xsammie89x_*

Guest_xsammie89x_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2010 - 11:50 AM

I purchased two hermann hatchlings, 2 months old about 3 weeks ago from a breeder on this forum.

Theyve settled in fine and everything, but i was just wondering, when do tortoises normally start to 'practice' breeding lol

Ive walked in several times to check on them and found them humping lol i know theyre no where near ready to actually do anything but theyre giving it a bloomin good go! lol at first i thought, surely not? theyre just babies, but ive caught them enough times now that i believe it lol

Is this normal or have i just got very curious babies? lol

My 2 and a half year olds ive had for over 18 months now and ive never caught them doing this as ive always thought they were too young and didnt start practicing until about 5/6 years or somewhere near

Any answers would be appreciated :)

Sam

#2 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2010 - 01:23 PM

Hi Sam,
I have to say I'm boggled by this behaviour and can't account for it. I certainly have never heard anything like it since i've been on this forum. Your hatchlings are certainly starting early! How confusing. Hopefully somebody will be along shortly to offer more helpful advice. Best of luck.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#3 Guest_xsammie89x_*

Guest_xsammie89x_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2010 - 02:07 PM

Hi freddy, Im totally shocked by it too lol
My partner took a video of it on his phone so ill see if i can get that up later as proof.

At first i thought they were just climbing on each other, but when i moved the one on top away from the other, 'he' just ran straight back over again.

'he' was behind 'her' (obviously i dont know 100% yet but im guessing male and female lol) almost standing up straight on two feet, pushing against her with his mouth wide open. And 'she' just sat there seeming a bit uninterested lol

Ive never heard of this before and ive tried searching the forums but cant find any posts on it

Hope someone comes along soon to help me lol

#4 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2010 - 02:19 PM

they are still very young but it could be a domonce thing.i had two one year olds do this quite a lot!my older males do this aswell

bruce

#5 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2010 - 05:33 PM

I have read about this before, although they are very young, it does sound like a dominance thing... could you make sure there are different hidey places in your set up so that 'she' can get away for a break! She's far too young to have to be suffering from stress! :wub:

Paula x

#6 Guest_xsammie89x_*

Guest_xsammie89x_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2010 - 06:01 PM

Theres plents of dens made out of sticks and plant pots and stuff and small hebes then like to hide behind or under so hopefully that should be enough
She doesnt seem to be stressed at the minute but ill keep a close eye on them.

So you definiately think theyre male and female, not the same sex showing dominance?

Thanks
Sam :)

#7 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2010 - 06:07 PM

they could well be two males

#8 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2010 - 06:44 PM

Oh sorry Sam, no I didn't mean they are male and female. :wacko:
Probably a very wrong way to have phrased it, when I said 'she' I meant the one who is being dominated. I see I could be digging a hole here! :blush:
Apologies again for not being clear.

Paula x

#9 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2010 - 10:52 AM

Pretty nomal behaviour for hatchlings:0) They will try to dominate another tortoise by mimicing mating. They wont produce eggs etc until they are at least 10yrs old if grown slowly like they should.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users