Hibernation Query

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_SherrellMurty_*

Guest_SherrellMurty_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2010 - 06:57 PM

Hi. I'm newbie here. I would like to ask what are the proper way to hibernate? Thanks for the replies.

#2 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2010 - 07:47 PM

Hi Sherrell,

Welcome to the forum. :D

I had to edit your post as we don't allow non approved advertising links to be posted.
Tell us more about your torts and your set up and we will be happy to help. :)

Paula x

#3 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2010 - 10:13 PM

Hi Sherrell and welcome to the forum,
There are generally 3 ways to hibernate a tort. The Natural Method,The Box Method and The Fridge Method. You will find a guide to hibernating torts by clicking on the Hibernation link on the top of your screen. I would also advise you to have a browse through the hibernation section of this forum to get a better idea of what others are doing. If you have any specific queries afterwards we would be delighted to help. Best of luck Sherrell. ;)
Kind Regards
Freddy :D

#4 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2010 - 09:01 AM

You have to wind your tortoise down before hibernation, to empty their stomachs.

It depends on the size of tortoise, to how long you wind them down.
Adults.
Week one
Normal heat and light NO FOOD, water available and bathe them.

Week two
Gradually reduce the time of heat and light, by turning them on an hour later and off an hour earlier.
NO FOOD, but water available and bathe.

Week three
Keep on reducing the heat and light until neither is on.
NO FOOD, water available and bathe once.

Week four
Your tortoise should be slow and not coming out. And ready for hibernation.
During this time, your tortoise should be in a cold room, where the ambient temps are not high.
I windown my smaller tortoises in my utility room. I switch the raidiator off when winding them down.
For smaller tortoise you cut the times down.
Eight weeks is the minimum time recommended for smaller tortoises or if its your first time for hibernating.
If after eight weeks your tortoises are doing fine and not lost weight, then you can carry on for another week or two. But I wouldnt hibernate small tortoises longer for the first time.

#5 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2010 - 09:37 PM

Hi. Its best to plan the hibernation in advance and important to know some history. What did this tortoise do last winter? If you haven't had it long you might want to get to know its habits and you might decide not to hibernate it until you feel a bit more confident about doing it.

The weight of the tortoise relative to its length is very important in deciding if its a good idea to hibernate it. Especially with small ones.

The fridge has some advantages if you have not hibernated a tortoise before. But its best to read up on the process well before you make a final decision. Keep us posted!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users