- - - - -

5yr old hermann rescue..

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_xsammie89x_*

Guest_xsammie89x_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2010 - 04:51 PM

I went to a local pet shop a few weeks ago and was upset to see that there was a roughly 5yr old tortoise in an awful state, the assistant was really unhelpful about other things i was asking about so i didnt get round to asking about this 5 year old.

Anyway, i went back in tonight and it was still there, so my heart sank. I asked the assistant (a different one) and he said they had found it in a nearby field, no microchip or anything and its awaiting paperwork or theyre waiting to get in touch about paperwork, not 100% sure. But i asked how much they would be selling for and he said 250.

The assistant let me get the tortoise out and it seemed to be a healthy weight, and it was very active. It just had a very lumpy shell, which also seemed to curve under at the bottom, and its beak was very long, as well as its claws.

Ive left my details and said to get in touch when he has paperwork as im interested in taking it.

Would he be able to get paperwork for it?
Is 250 a reasonable price or could i banter him down if i say hes going to a good home etc...
I know he cant sell without paperwork but could he give me it if, for example, i bought a lamp or something for say... 250? wink.gif

Ive attached some pictures of it, let me know what you think.

Attached Files

#2 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2010 - 06:05 PM

Hi Sam,
I'm not too sure of the average price for a 5 year old tort. But I think bantering him down or buying something is worth a try. Sounds like you've a good heart Sam. wub.gif
Best of luck. wink.gif
Kind Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

#3 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2010 - 06:35 PM

This might well be someones lost pet, and are looking for it.
Unless the shop will have to prove they own the tortoise, before they can get paperwork. As most keepers who rehome tortoises, can apply for a breeders licence for tortoises they do not know the history of, or where they came from. Which means you cant sell the tortoise, but can give it away. You also can sell any off spring of said tortoise. But its illegal to sell.
You only have to phone DEFRA to find this out.
I would think its illegal for the shop to sell the tortoise too. But who knows shops can get away with blue murder.

#4 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2010 - 09:29 PM

Does seem to be very cheeky of them to sell this tortoise for 250 when it was found in a field and cost the shop nothing. I suppose they think they should get some money back for looking after it. But as Sandy says this tortoise does not belong to the shop, so how can they sell it? I wonder if they made any effort to find out if someone lost it?

You may have fallen for this tortoise now and I can understand that. But personally I would not buy a tortoise in that situation and I think they are looking for a lot of money given its condition and the fact they got it for nothing.

#5 Guest_frenchypompom_*

Guest_frenchypompom_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2010 - 07:52 PM

Hi Sam,

That baby looks like he really could do with someone looking after him properly, but I have to say, I agree with the others, it doesn't belong to the shop, so they can't really sell it to you. I don't know exactly the legalities of such a situation, so you might want to really look into that and make sure no one out there is looking for it.

Whatever happens, keep us posted.
Good luck.
Carine

#6 Guest_Ilkeston_*

Guest_Ilkeston_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2010 - 08:17 AM

Hi Sam,

I think it's dreadful that they are trying to sell you a tortoise they found, so cost them nothing! As for the price? It's a complete rip off! We bought Flower last year and judging from the photo's the tortoise looks the same size as Flower and we only paid 120! Our smaller tortoise, Baby, was 145! I know prices vary between the North & south of the country and I don't know where you live, but this does seem a ridiculous price! If I were you I would do a tour of the pet shops/garden centres local to you, who sell torts & check out their prices. Then go back to him & barter as much as possible. Point out that his pieces are higher than other pet ships and that the tortoise cost him nothing anyway! Call DEFRA and see where they stand on the re-sale of found tortoises. That way you ha e a better footing on which to stand your ground! Best of luck! X

#7 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2010 - 05:22 PM

Hi Sam,
I've read some of the other posts and they are all very valid. However, I think what's important now is that the best thing be done for this particular tort whatever it's past. From it's condition when found it's obvious that it wasn't treated very well by it's previous owner and was probably abandoned in the field. You seem like a very conscientious person and want to do what is best for this tort as well as provide it with a good home. So, I would say why not? but only after you get some answers from the pet shop.
250 pounds would also seem like a lot of money to pay.So if you're still interested I would certainly banter them down on that.At the end of the day, I think you have to do what you think is right for you and the tort Sam. The decision is ultimately yours and I certainly wish you the best of luck whatever you decide.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#8 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2010 - 05:31 PM

Just remember if you take this tortoise on, you will be buying an illegal tortoise, and knowing so. So you can get into big trouble with DEFRA if ever they found out.
Its your choice at the end of the day.

#9 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2010 - 05:40 PM

Hi Sam,
I'm very conscious of what Sandy has said about the legalities of taking such a tort on. But somebody is going to have to or it will be left there. A possible idea would be to offer it up to a tort sanctuary or place an advertisement to try and find it's previous owner. I can't think of anything else......
Kind Regards
Freddy

#10 Guest_xsammie89x_*

Guest_xsammie89x_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2010 - 06:26 PM

I recieved a phonecall from the manager of the pet shop today saying that DEFRA wont give them the paperwork (as we expected) and that they will give me the tortoise if i want it... and also would i be kind enough to donate to the tortoise trust. He said to do this on the website and then just take in some sort of print out to show that i have which i thought was fair.

I was going to make a donation of about 30-50 which i think is a fair donation and ill probably be taking the tortoise next week sometime, sooner rather than later.

He was greedy for asking for money for it but i think he has got advice from DEFRA and realised he was making a mistake and then offered it to me as they wont want to look after it and want it to go to a good home.

Will let you know what happens xx

#11 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2010 - 07:31 PM

Welll at least you wont or should not get into trouble with DEFRA as they are hotting up big time on these things.

#12 Guest_xsammie89x_*

Guest_xsammie89x_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2010 - 08:26 PM

Well i shouldnt, because he hasnt sold the tortoise to me, ive donated to the tortoise trust, not the pet shop. And i wont be selling the tortoise ever. Obviously i wont have any paperwork for it but i shouldnt need it if im not selling or anything.

#13 Guest_emmawantsatortoise_*

Guest_emmawantsatortoise_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2010 - 09:42 PM

hi, i have been reading this post since you first put it on, and im glad you got the result deserved int he end, the owners of the pet shop obviousley thought they were on to a good thing trying to sell him for that much, so glad he will be going to a good home x

#14 Guest_xsammie89x_*

Guest_xsammie89x_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2010 - 08:24 AM

Thankyou Emma smile.gif

I will post pictures up of the enclosure and him in it when i get him smile.gif

#15 Guest_gail69_*

Guest_gail69_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2010 - 07:02 PM

Hi Sam

I'm glad he will be going to a good home, and that you didn't have to pay the pet shop asking price.

Pics would be much apprecieated when you get him.

Gail
xx

#16 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2010 - 11:33 PM

Excellent news! Well done.

#17 Guest_Ilkeston_*

Guest_Ilkeston_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2010 - 07:49 AM

Hi Sam,

I'm really pleased at your results from this. The pet shop owner was obviously a bit dicey but at least he did contact DEFRA as opposed to trying to sell it to some unsuspecting buyer who didn't know what was supposed to happen when purchasing torts. In the end I'm sure you will give it a great home where it will be cared for in a much better way than the previous owner. Best of luck with your little tort, I'm sure you'll have years of pleasure from her/him. Take care.

#18 Guest_xsammie89x_*

Guest_xsammie89x_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2010 - 08:23 AM

Thanks everyone,
Well were not getting the tortoise until tomorrow night now, as im working all day tomorrow and its came at a very inconvenient time lol

Were ripping apart the living room and redecorating etc.. As well as trying to build a new enclosure.

The enclosure were building is 1metre by 1 metre so its fairly big but very square. Then when weve finished the downstairs, were going to build another one exactly the same size and screw it together with a hole so the tort can walk between them. It makes it easier in the future for moving the enclosures if we can seperate them as the torts are in the spare bedroom upstairs lol

But... VERY VERY EXCITEDDDDDDDDDDDD to be getting the tortoise biggrin.gif:D

The enclosure hes in at the moment, you can fit him in about 4 times and thats all, so hes got no room to move and also theres a tiny water bowl and a huge lump of wood in the middle that he cant even walk around he has to climb over it.

Cant wait to get pics up of him and the enclosure biggrin.gif

#19 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2010 - 10:41 AM

Hi Sam,
That's great news. It's very decent of you taking this little fella on with all his problems which I know you don't mind. It shows you've a good heart Sam. wub.gif Best of luck with him wink.gif
Kind Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

#20 Guest_xsammie89x_*

Guest_xsammie89x_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2010 - 10:51 AM

Thanks freddy,
All i know of him so far is that he needs his beak filing down, which im hoping i can do via slate and cuttlefish instead of having to take him to the vets. Id rather only have to do that if its stopping him eating but otherwise im going to try a more natural way first.

Also his shell is very lumpy, which i think with a better diet, as hes only around 5 years old, it should get better over the years, obviously not perfect but better.

I just felt that the poor thing has only been around 5 years-ish and it hasnt had a very good start, i couldnt go on letting it struggle when i know its got another 95 ahead of him which could be brilliant!

Like my mum said, if a child had a bad start in life.. you wouldnt just give up on it would you?

Although ive had to promise my partner that ill stop at 5 tortoises now biggrin.gif Atleast until we win the lottery tongue.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users