5yr old hermann rescue..

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_xsammie89x_*

Guest_xsammie89x_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2010 - 10:54 AM

Weve also decided on a name already...

The decision was made due to the fact that he is atleast double the size of our bigger two and a giant compared to our 3 month old babies..

His name is going to be..

TANK!

biggrin.gif You have to say it in a sort of movie superhero voice. So now we say, Boris, Morris, Dizzee, Rascal and TAAANNKKKKKK tongue.gif

#22 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2010 - 11:02 AM

A great name Sam and one he deserves after all the tough battles he's been through. I wish you many happy years with him. Best of luck Sam wink.gif
Kind Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

#23 Guest_paula271066_*

Guest_paula271066_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2010 - 03:10 PM

QUOTE (Freddy McGavin @ Sep 27 2010, 12:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A great name Sam and one he deserves after all the tough battles he's been through. I wish you many happy years with him. Best of luck Sam wink.gif
Kind Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

Hi

As other people ive been reading your post from the start and I must admit I was thinking of you at the weekend. Id gone into a pet shop near mums in Oldham Lancs just for some bird food. I always look at all the pets cos im such a child lol, anyway they had two torts, one was an horsefield, quite large and bumpy with an overgrown beak and the other was a hermann it also was very large and bumpy and im not sure if it was a marginated tort as its shell flaired out at the bottom and it was long in shape. They were separated and in a small viv with wood chips lighting and a small dog bowl for their food, both of them were 150 each. I felt so sorry for them, I didnt ask their age etc as im a big softie and wouldve ended up bringing them both home and at this moment in time I havent got the room or the funds. I just hope they go to a good home.

Im so glad your getting the tortoise and look forward to seeing some pics.

Good luck

Paula x

#24 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2010 - 06:08 PM

Yaaaay!! Roll on tomorrow.... biggrin.gif

Looking forward to seeing a picture of your latest arrival, at this rate your partner will be building a tower block!! laugh.gif Lucky you!

Paula x

#25 Guest_xsammie89x_*

Guest_xsammie89x_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2010 - 07:24 PM

Its funny how everybody is just as excited as me about this tortoise! And yes, the tortoise room is the box room, so its fairly small... as you walk in theres a cupboard on the right for the loft, then from there is boris and morris's enclosure, with dizzee and rascals enclosure attached to the side of it, then at the end of boris and morris's enclosure is a 1 and a bit metre gap between there and the window, and under the window the gap is 2m so were filling it all in LOL so you literally walk in the box room and are surrounded by tort enclosures.

In the garden, we have a large enclosure at the side of the house, sectioned off so boris n morris have their bit and the babies have their own too, now were just giving tank the rest of the garden as its easier than building an enclosure LOL... I only moved in with my partner in february, with 2 torts.. now i almost have 5 biggrin.gif Ive taken over his spare room and the garden.. and basically the house biggrin.gif

But he doesnt mind im sure... tongue.gif

#26 Guest_xsammie89x_*

Guest_xsammie89x_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2010 - 07:34 PM

TANK HAS ARRIVED!! WOOHOO biggrin.gif:D

He has already made his mark by weeing on me on the way home smile.gif Lovely little chap!

Anyway, hes settled into his enclosure nicely, its a bit basic as we didnt have long to put it together so going to buy a few bits tomorrow, plants etc. And he definiately needs a biger water dish lolol i totally underestimated how big he was!

Heres a few pics smile.gif Theyre not brilliant but will get some better ones soon

#27 Guest_xsammie89x_*

Guest_xsammie89x_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2010 - 07:35 PM

Also were going to put more soil in there as we got home too late to get some more tongue.gif

#28 Guest_emmawantsatortoise_*

Guest_emmawantsatortoise_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2010 - 07:43 PM

aahh bless him, hope he settles in ok, bet he is glad to be out the pet shop

#29 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2010 - 08:07 PM

Hi Sam,
Congrats on your new arrival 'Tank'. He looks great. I bet he's sure glad he found you. Best of luck with him Sam. wink.gif
Kind Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

#30 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2010 - 08:09 PM

Awww tht's great news, Emma's right, he'll be glad to see the back of that viv! wub.gif
Hope the little chap settles soon. smile.gif

Paula x

#31 Guest_xsammie89x_*

Guest_xsammie89x_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2010 - 08:11 PM

He hasnt settled down to sleep yet, hes still trudging around his enclosure in the pitch black darkness lol

Hopefully he will settle before i go up to bed otherwise ill feel awful leaving him sad.gif

Will let you know how he is tomorrow biggrin.gif

Im totally in love with him already smile.gif

#32 Guest_xsammie89x_*

Guest_xsammie89x_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2010 - 08:15 PM

I also noticed.. which i will try and get a photo of, his claws seem to have snapped off, or some of them have atleast. And also when he walks across the slate they just sound awful like theyre not very strong. I dont want him to suffer them snapping anymore. Is there any vitamins i can buy that will help him or will nutrobal and calcidust/limestone flour do the trick eventually?

#33 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2010 - 12:19 AM

Hi Sam,
I'm afraid it is natural for a torts claws to snap when they become too long. They will grow back (providing they haven't broken below the quick) but only after a long time. Torts nails can be kept trim by using some harder substrates like slate or stones (not too small) in their enclosure.Hope this helps wink.gif
Kind Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

#34 Guest_Ilkeston_*

Guest_Ilkeston_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:00 AM

QUOTE (xsammie89x @ Sep 27 2010, 11:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Although ive had to promise my partner that ill stop at 5 tortoises now biggrin.gif Atleast until we win the lottery tongue.gif

I admire your optimism & your partners hope Sam! I remember my hubby saying he didn't want 2 kittens when we bought our first pets but then relenting so they could have company whilst we were at work. I also remember him saying, after we'd just taken a cat home (which he chose!) from the Cats Protection that there would be no more than five (which we'd just gone up to) as five's too many. Within a year we had 8! Never say never!! happy.gif We now have 6 cats, 3 hamsters, 2 Hermanns, an African Pygmy Hedgehog & tank & pond fish! We also take in British hedgehogs when they need our help! I hope you're stronger than me! blush.gif xX

#35 Guest_xsammie89x_*

Guest_xsammie89x_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:02 AM

Thanks freddy, ive got that triangular peice of slate in there, which all four of my other torts can fit on together... yet tank can just about squeeze onto! LOL so going to go and buy a bigger peice today, aswell as a few smaller peices so i can dot his food about the enclosure to make things more interesting for him. He settled down quite late last night, about 10pm i think, but was up at the crack of dawn today lol so hopefully he will settle into a routine shortly.

Thanks sam biggrin.gif

#36 Guest_SarahRoss_*

Guest_SarahRoss_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2011 - 11:49 AM

Awe bless he is so adorable. Good on you for taking him on. Tank is an excellent name and if hes anything like my Strauss he will behave like a tank. I dont think they realise they are carrying a wide load, if their head fits they think the rest will follow.
Best of luck Sam and Tank... a happy ending
Sarah x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users