Hibernation Help.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Dale1_*

Guest_Dale1_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2010 - 06:23 PM

Hello all!
I am going to hibernate my tortoise this year. This will be my first 'hibernation experience', so, as you can imagine, I'm fairly apprehensive.
I have done alot of research into it, and will continue to read up about it before, and during, hibernation.
I have come on here to ask for any useful tips to ensure that it goes smoothly, so, please help!
Btw, the website I am primarily referring to is, http://www.hermann-t...hibernation.htm

Thanks again!! ;)

#2 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2010 - 06:41 PM

Hi Dale,

There were quite a few of us on here last year that were hibernating for the first time, we were all nervous wrecks! :laugh:

The wind down times do vary depending on the size of your tortoise.
I'm sure some of our more experienced keepers will be able to best advise you if you were to post details of torty.
What method are you planning on using?
Have a look throught the hibernation section on here it will show you lots of questions us lot were asking last year.
Any questions just ask, we will help if we can, and point you in the right direction if we can't! :laugh:

Paula x

#3 Guest_Dale1_*

Guest_Dale1_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2010 - 06:52 PM

Hey,
I am very nervous, I just want everything to go smoothly :)
I will have a snoop around the forum for the info you mentioned.
Thanks again!! :D

#4 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2010 - 07:28 AM

Hibernation is scary to all keepers, even like myself who has been hibernating tortoises for over 30yrs. The difference is, I know if the correct instructions are followed, they can come out of hibernation raring to go.
Touch wood, I have never lost a tortoise to hibernation yet.
So there will be lots of help when the time comes.
I box my tortoises up who donot bury down to hibernate in my greenhouse.

#5 Guest_Dale1_*

Guest_Dale1_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2010 - 04:54 PM

According to the website I mentioned above, it says putting them in a fridge is an effective and safe means of hibernating them. Putting them in a greenhouse would be out of the question for me. One, I do not have a greenhouse :P and two, the British weather is fairly unpredictable. I wouldn't want to put her there for her to be woken the next day by a random hot day :S

#6 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2010 - 05:17 PM

Well I have been hibernating my tortoises in my greenhouse for the last ten years. And they do far better naturally hibernating than the boxed way. I live in Kent where temps are really warm compared to most areas. Even on the hottest day during the tortoises hibernation, they dont come up.
Fridges are fine until they break down.
Boxed is also fine.

#7 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2010 - 10:01 PM

For a lot of us the fridge works well because we can control the temperature in there really accurately. Also we can get the tortoise out and check it over and weigh it quite easily. Of course its best not to be constantly disturbing them! Also there are no predators inside a fridge.

If I lived in a warmer part of the country and had a suitable greenhouse I would be very interested in trying the greenhouse method Sandy uses.

The fridge is not very natural but it can be accurate and it would be very difficult for me to provide a safe enough place outside. If a tortoise is hibernated even 3 inches below the surface level of the soil outside then it will be at a very constant temperature for months on end. But I reckon I can do something very similar with a box of soil in the fridge.

Ozric

#8 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2010 - 07:42 PM

Hi Dale,
It's great that you are hibernating your torts this year. I wish you the best of luck with them and feel sure everything will work out fine for you. There are 3 methods by which you can hibernate a tort- Natural, Box and fridge. The method you decide upon largely depends on your circumstances and climate. For example we get a lot of heavy frosts and rains here in Ireland so I would never dream of hibernating my tort outside. Personally, I use the box method and have done so for the past 30 years. But everybody's situation is different.The important thing is that you hibernate your torts in temperature ranges of no less than 0 degrees (freezing point) and no more than 9 degrees. I would encourage you to research your method of hibernation carefully and once chosen follow it to the letter. Anyway Dale, I wish you the best of luck . Should you have any questions ,members here will only be too glad to help.
Kind Regards
Freddy :D

#9 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2010 - 08:09 PM

Hi Dale
Great news that you are going to hibernate your tort this year,last year i hibernated my tort for the first time and i was a nervous wreck,this year two to hibernate and i'm hibernating my torts outside in there home with background heater if needed to maintain temps that's the plan of action i think we all get nervous for our little one's as we only want the best for them.I followed Dawn's hibernation diary found it great.
Jay,H and Becky

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users