Put my babies in tort table, help!!!!!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_emmawantsatortoise_*

Guest_emmawantsatortoise_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2010 - 06:24 PM

hi, i have taken my babies out of the borrowed vivarium and pt them into a tortoise table, they seem to be happier they are constantly walking around, they were off to bed early in the viv, i had to put one of them to bed last night as she was still trotting around when i went to bed, anyway i keep finding either one of them upside down, sometimes they are climbing up the sides like they want to get out

anybody have any idea what might be going on, can anything drastic happen to them if they are upside down??

#2 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2010 - 07:40 PM

Hi Emma,

Your little guys will be far better off on the table. :D When I first moved Hettie she didn't like it at all... she doesn't do change. :rolleyes: When I was going to bed she was still awake for the first couple of nights and seemed very uneasy. It will take them a little time to adjust to their new environment.

Often torts will pace the sides of their enclosure if there is nothing to break up the eyeline. I used to use rocks and things to break it up. If you were to post a picture of your set up we might be able to offer suggestions.

Finding them on their backs is worrying, if they fall underneath their heatlamp there could be serious consequences. It can be fatal if they are left and unable to right themselves. :unsure: Make sure there is nothing nearby that they can fall from. Some people turn off their basking lights for a time if they are leaving very young tortoises alone for some time.

Paula x

#3 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2010 - 09:52 PM

Hi Emma. The only real problem with going upside down is if its under the lamp. I try to arrange things so that the tortoises won't tip up under it. Yes they will try and climb up the sides but I find they seem to get used to the sides a bit over time.

If we change their surroundings there is always a lot of exploring as the tortoise builds up a map of the area. They usually calm down after a while. Try to make it as safe as you can. Unless it is under the lamp a tortoise can manage for a long time being on its back. They are usually able to get themselves upright but they need to push against something and it is much harder for them to get upright if they are on a very flat surface.

Hope this helps a bit!

Ozric

#4 Guest_Pat_*

Guest_Pat_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:20 PM

Hi Emma

Good news about the tort table,as the others have said they will get used to it over the next few days. I used to find one of mine on her back regularly - it seemed that she would throw herself off anything available. I also used to find if the temps were too hot they would climb the walls a bit also.

As previously said, dont put anything they can climb near the lamp - you could build a small hill in the middle of the table so they have something to climb and some plants and stones in, as Paula said you need to break up their eye line so it appears bigger. In the corner where my lamp is I also put in some twig roll from the pet shop to take off the corner angle which stopped me worrying so much!

You have done the right thing putting them in a table, much healthier and nicer for you to watch also!

Lots of pics of ideas on the enclosures tab.

Pat x

#5 Guest_emmawantsatortoise_*

• Guests

Posted 21 September 2010 - 09:45 PM

thanks for the replys, cant seem to get hold of any log roll s at the minute, every where out of stock, but will get some so i can make something for them to climb over and around, will put some pics on just as soon as i work out how to do it!!!

#6 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2010 - 07:23 AM

Hi Emma

I use pieces of bark, and I think its bog wood root, you can buy this from any reptile shop. I also use curved roof tiles which the climb and sleep under. Large rocks will also do.

#7 Guest_Pat_*

Guest_Pat_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2010 - 03:58 PM

Hi, I got mine from our Just for Pets shop - it is usually with the hamster stuff, it looks like thin sticks wired together and they do it in lots of colours as well as just brown! It is easy to bend and also make into walkways etc.

Pat

#8 Guest_emmawantsatortoise_*

• Guests

Posted 22 September 2010 - 06:39 PM

are just for pets is sold out at the moment and having trouble with supplier, and pets at home are all out too!! so will keep looking!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users