• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_New baby owner_*

Guest_New baby owner_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2010 - 05:11 PM

Hi everyone,

I just got my first tortoise today and it's a little one year old. smile.gif
I've got her (him?) on a open plan tortoise table with a warm side and a cooler side. I've only had her about 12 hours but she hasn't eaten or moved much. She's moved into her feeding bowl on the warm side and fallen asleep.
I'm not sure why she's so sleepy. Is this normal? Is she just settling in? I've handled her once and she let me stroke her then fell asleep.
Lol I'm not sure whether I'm panicking uneccessarily but it's my first little baby so I've got lots to learn!!!

Thanks guys,
xxx.

#2 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2010 - 05:39 PM

hi dont worry to much.it can take some time to settle in.some settle fine then other take time.i had two that never ate for months.then one day they just started eating and roaming and would not stop!!!!!!!and are very healthy

bruce

#3 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2010 - 06:23 PM

Congratulations on your new arrival. wub.gif

More important at this stage than eating, is to keep your little one hydrated with regular bathing.

A lukewarm bath in the morning might help wake her up and think about eating. But don't worry if she doesn't as Bruce says it may take a while to settle so long as she is kept well hydrated she will be fine.

Paula x

#4 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2010 - 06:30 PM

Hi there and welcome to the forum,
Congratulations on your new 1 year old horsefield tort. As bruce has said it can take a while for a new tort to settle in. She also has to get used to her new surroundings. Everybody goes through the same and worries at first but I'm sure everything will be just fine. If you need to ask any questions no matter how silly or insignificant you think they may seem please feel free to post them and someone will always be on hand to help.Hope you enjoy your time here.Best of luck wink.gif
Kind Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

#5 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2010 - 09:15 PM

Hello and congratulations on your new tort
I have a male and a female horsefield and it took my female a while to settle into her new home,we all tend to worry but have patience,make sure she /he has plenty of luke warm baths,send some pictures would love to see.
Jay,H and Becky

#6 Guest_New baby owner_*

Guest_New baby owner_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:14 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone!
Poppy has cheered right up this morning and started eating smile.gif Very happy tortoise mummy!
xxx

#7 Guest_SheilaS_*

Guest_SheilaS_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2010 - 01:44 PM

Congratulations! I also have a baby Horsfield smile.gif

#8 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2010 - 07:03 AM

QUOTE (New baby owner @ Sep 29 2010, 11:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the replies everyone!
Poppy has cheered right up this morning and started eating smile.gif Very happy tortoise mummy!
xxx

Just remember if this is a very small tortoise (hatchling up to around five or six) then bathing is more important for the tortoise than food. Dehydration can be a killer if the tortoise is not bathed enough. Every day for the first two years then it can be four times a week. I actually bathe mine every day until they are around six, then cut it down.
Feeding wet food helps too, as does having a shallow bowl of water in the enclosure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users