Jacksons ratio... Dangerously low?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_xsammie89x_*

Guest_xsammie89x_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2010 - 02:18 PM

Well ive weighed Tank just now, he comes in at... 545g and 155mm

According to the Jacksons Ratio he is dangerously low on the weight to length ratio.

Im not sure what to do now as his shell is starting to pyramid so i dont want to add to this by overfeeding, i also dont want him to carry on being dangerously low.

Any advice on this?

#2 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2010 - 05:42 PM

Hi Sam,
Personally I think Tank's health should take precedence over his shell shape. I would over-winter him and he'll gradually put the weight back on. You can consider hibernating him,all being well, next year.Hope this helps.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#3 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2010 - 07:49 PM

have you had him checked for worms?

#4 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2010 - 08:35 PM

He did look smaller than that in the photo, did you measure him correctly? A few mm makes lots of difference.

Have a look at this link to be sure.

http://www.tlady.clara.net/measure.htm

Paula x

#5 Guest_xsammie89x_*

Guest_xsammie89x_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2010 - 08:43 PM

Ill measure him again tomorrow, i pushed him up against the side of the enclosure, on the outside, and marked him on a peice of paper. Then measured from the straight surface to the mark.

His shell is quite flared at the back though so could this have made a difference?

#6 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2010 - 09:00 PM

Hi Sam, sounds like you were doing it right... just a thought. biggrin.gif

Paula x

#7 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2010 - 09:08 PM

As Bruce says Tank's weight loss could be due to worms. I would bring a sample of his pooh when you take him to the vet. Best of luck Sam wink.gif
Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

#8 Guest_xsammie89x_*

Guest_xsammie89x_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2010 - 09:56 PM

Okay will do smile.gif

Its a difficult one to tell because ive only had him a couple of days and the pet shop had him 3 months and said "he eats like a gannet" lol but nobody knows how much he weighed beforehand.

He was found in a field so he could have been there for a couple of days or a few months, which also might explain why hes not eaten much? its not been very warm here recently so if its cold maybe hes not came out much to find food?

It could be a number of things i suppose and i know the only way to find out is the vets. Im just worrying as per. smile.gif

#9 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:03 PM

Hi. I think ths tortoise needs special close watching at this stage and I would say hibernation might be unwise for him. Weight needs to be gained over time and if your weights and measurements are correct then extra care is needed at this stage. Is this tortoise well hydrated? Always worth making sure with any underweight tortoise.

Keep us posted on your rescue!

Ozric

#10 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:36 PM

QUOTE (xsammie89x @ Sep 30 2010, 10:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Okay will do smile.gif

Its a difficult one to tell because ive only had him a couple of days and the pet shop had him 3 months and said "he eats like a gannet" lol but nobody knows how much he weighed beforehand.

He was found in a field so he could have been there for a couple of days or a few months, which also might explain why hes not eaten much? its not been very warm here recently so if its cold maybe hes not came out much to find food?

It could be a number of things i suppose and i know the only way to find out is the vets. Im just worrying as per. smile.gif

Hi Sam,
Strange as it may seem worms wouldn't really affect Tank's appetite. He would still eat like a gannet,even more so, but he just wouldn't put on any weight. This is why it's a strong possibility. But I could be wrong. As you say Sam it could be a myriad of things. Anyway things are certainly looking up for Tank now. Please keep us informed of his progress. Take care Sam. wink.gif
Kind Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

#11 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2010 - 08:11 AM

QUOTE (Freddy McGavin @ Sep 30 2010, 11:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Sam,
Strange as it may seem worms wouldn't really affect Tank's appetite. He would still eat like a gannet,even more so, but he just wouldn't put on any weight. This is why it's a strong possibility. But I could be wrong. As you say Sam it could be a myriad of things. Anyway things are certainly looking up for Tank now. Please keep us informed of his progress. Take care Sam. wink.gif
Kind Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

Sorry to disagree, tortoises with worms do go off their food. Going off their food is one of the first signs of worms. Also you can see them too. It also could be a protezoa load, which you cant see.
I also agree to not hibernate your tortoise this year too, but you might not have a choice, unless you get the conditions right. As previously hibernated tortoises can start to windown on their own.

#12 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2010 - 12:38 PM

QUOTE (cyberangel @ Oct 1 2010, 09:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry to disagree, tortoises with worms do go off their food. Going off their food is one of the first signs of worms. Also you can see them too. It also could be a protezoa load, which you cant see.
I also agree to not hibernate your tortoise this year too, but you might not have a choice, unless you get the conditions right. As previously hibernated tortoises can start to windown on their own.

As I understood it common intestinal worms (nematodes) feed on the food in a torts stomach so torts remain hungry and underweight hence the reason why they can still have an appetite. Also there are 2 main reasons not to hibernate a tort- 1. because it is sick or 2. because it is dangerously underweight. Tank could be both. If at all possible you should try to over-winter him. Hope this helps.
Regards
Freddy

#13 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2010 - 03:57 PM

QUOTE (Freddy McGavin @ Oct 1 2010, 01:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As I understood it common intestinal worms (nematodes) feed on the food in a torts stomach so torts remain hungry and underweight hence the reason why they can still have an appetite. Also there are 2 main reasons not to hibernate a tort- 1. because it is sick or 2. because it is dangerously underweight. Tank could be both. If at all possible you should try to over-winter him. Hope this helps.
Regards
Freddy

I go by what has happened to my tortoises in the past if they have had worms, and they do go off their food sorry!
Tortoises carry worms all the time, and its only a problem when they get over loaded with worms. This causes them to go off their food.

#14 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2010 - 04:21 PM

when mines have had worms in the past they do go of their food.its a sign i look for if i think somthings not rite.after i worm them two to three weeks later they are eating well again!!

bruce

#15 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2010 - 08:37 PM

Lets be clear here folks. The tort we're talking about in this post has a great appetite but has lost a lot of weight.He was found in a field probably contaminated with animal faeces. There are also different kinds of worms which affect torts in different ways. Protezoa which are parasitical micro-organisms, and not worms in the true sense, cause a tort to go off his food. This type is common in captive torts. Round worms the type I am talking about cause torts to over-eat as they try to make up for the lost nourishment the worms have ingested.These type of worms are caused by contaminated food,water or faeces. I hope this explains things more clearly. Best of luck wink.gif
Kind Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

#16 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2010 - 08:49 PM

QUOTE (Freddy McGavin @ Oct 1 2010, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lets be clear here folks. The tort we're talking about in this post has a great appetite but has lost a lot of weight.He was found in a field probably contaminated with animal faeces. There are also different kinds of worms which affect torts in different ways. Protozoa which are parasitical micro-organisms, and not worms in the true sense, cause a tort to go off his food. This type is common in captive torts. Round worms the type I am talking about cause torts to over-eat as they try to make up for the lost nourishment the worms have ingested.These type of worms are caused by contaminated food,water or faeces. I hope this explains things more clearly. Best of luck wink.gif
Kind Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

#17 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2010 - 08:51 PM

I am talking from experience and my last word on this. Tortoises with an over load of worms do go off their food!!! As they do with protezoa loads!!!

#18 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2010 - 09:49 PM

QUOTE (cyberangel @ Oct 1 2010, 09:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am talking from experience and my last word on this. Tortoises with an over load of worms do go off their food!!! As they do with protezoa loads!!!

So why else would you say this tort eats like a gannet yet is dangerously underweight? Unless of course he has really been starved for the past 3 months!!!
Freddy
P.S I like to get to the bottom of things!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users