Another Hibernation Question

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Tim-Ann_*

Guest_Tim-Ann_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:55 PM

Hi there,

Panic over she started to eat I hand fed her some carrot slice whilst in her bath dried her off put her in her table and off she goes to her food, relief all round, well done Harriet you made it through your first Hibernation.

Many thanks everyone for your help and guidance and good luck to everyone who's Tort is due to come out of Hibernation in the near future.

Tim & Family.

#22 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2011 - 04:28 PM

That's great news Tim. :D Welcome back Harriet!
Now all we need is that sunshine you promised!

Paula x

#23 Guest_jennistev@hotmail.com_*

Guest_jennistev@hotmail.com_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2011 - 10:35 AM

I enjoyed reading this thread, I am exactly where Tim was last year and am extremely anxious too, except my tortoise Tristan is much smaller. He is 18 months old so I am treating him him as a juvenile rather than a hatchling, hope that's right.He is very healthy and vigorous. He doesn't even register on the jackson graph though. He was 65 grammes witha carapace length of 60 mm before I wound him down. He is now 60 grammes. I put him in the fridge at 5 degrees yesterday, so far so good but I am very worried that he hasn't got enough weight on him to last.

Any help please welcome

#24 Guest_Tim-Ann_*

Guest_Tim-Ann_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:11 PM

Hi there,

Well another year and another hibernation under Harriet’s belt, well it would be if she could wear one.

Last year she went in to the fridge on the 25.11.11 at 161 grams we're pulled her out this afternoon at 156 grams and I guess she could have lasted another month but weeds are up and sprouting so time to wake her up.

Going to let her warm up to room temperature then give her a bath one of many and place some fresh food in her table.

Well done Harriet, phew glad it's all over, well until later this year.

Hope everyone else has had a good hibernation.

Tim.

#25 Guest_mildredsmam_*

Guest_mildredsmam_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:48 PM

hi tim glad your hibernation went well ive been doing my horsfields for a few years now but im always glad when there back up :)

#26 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:33 PM

Hi Tim,
Glad to hear Harriet made it safely through hibernation. :) It is always nice to see them again after their big sleep. Roll on summer! ;)
Kind Regards
Freddy :D

#27 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:22 PM

Yaaaay! Way to go Harriet! :wub: Great news Tim.

That belt is getting tighter!

One more week and my little guys will be up too, :D can't wait!

Paula x

#28 Guest_Tim-Ann_*

Guest_Tim-Ann_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:59 PM

Hi there,

Yes the belt is getting very tight she came out at 156gms now she is up to 196 phew no idea how she's done that a steady supply of weeds and cress and she's been warm bathed every day and her digestive tracts all seem fine she passing urine well white gluey type stuff first and today a massive poo so I’m convinced she’s got through her hibernation well and all her systems seem to be up and running just puzzled as to how in some 12 days she has put on 40gms is that too much guess I might not be putting so much food in for a few days or is her weight gain to be expected having been asleep for some three and a half months?

Any thoughts or do I buy her a larger belt?

Tim.

#29 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:24 PM

Hi Tim,
As well as the weeds she is eating she could be retaining a lot of water, hence the big weight increase. Hope this helps.
Best of luck.
Freddy

#30 Guest_Tim-Ann_*

Guest_Tim-Ann_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:00 PM

Hi there,

Thanks for that I wonder hence weighing her before she had her bath.

Hopefully she should settle down soon.

Many thanks for your reply, Tim.

#31 Harriet

Harriet

Tortoise Forum Newby

• VIP Member
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:17 PM

Hi there,

Well I don't know what I missed, what with my user name being removed or has the whole forum changed software. Created a new user name Harriet seem the right thing to do.

Talking of Harriet and her tight belt the last weight was 192gms so she seems to be settling down and hey ho it won't be long before we start the hibernation process off, how time flies.

Many thanks, Tim & Family.

#32 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:04 PM

Some really aggressive spammers got on and managed to remove everyone's accounts, :angry: It will take a while to get used to calling you Harriet Tim :lol:

#33 Hettie

Hettie

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member*
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Interests:Torts of course! :-)

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:09 PM

LOL Chris... maybe Tim has changes he wants to tell us about? :lol: :P ... Harriet!! ONLY JOKING!! XXX

Paula x

#34 Harriet

Harriet

Tortoise Forum Newby

• VIP Member
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:43 PM

Hi there,

Call me what you want as long as it helps Harriet and me I really don't mind.

Love this forum so helpful and knowledgeable, which is what I need.

The one worry is that Harriet will outlive me easily but my daughters will have to take on the mantle and perhaps even their offspring will have to look after her what a wonderful family tradition bought together by one long living friend.

Tim.

#35 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:51 PM

Ah yes, now we know why you couldn't reuse your e-mail account Tim-Ann. Harriett was using it all the time. ;)

#36 Harriet

Harriet

Tortoise Forum Newby

• VIP Member
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:48 PM

Hi there,

Quick i must phone the BBC oh no I don't want her overshadowing the games do I.

Tim.

#37 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:02 PM

If the story of the tortoise and the hare is anything to go by. Harriet could well win Olympic Gold! he!he! :rofl:
Freddy :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users