Transporting a tortoise from the UK

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Skandik_*

Guest_Skandik_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2010 - 10:15 PM

Hi,
I have a Sulcata tortoise who is about 6 years old. She was bought from a pet shop here in the UK, however she does not have any papers/ permit. Would a tortoise normally come with permits when bought? I am moving to Norway and would very much like to take my tortoise with me.

Does anyone know how to go about this? I would obviously get the necessary health check done at a vets before leaving, but I am guessing a permit is required?

Is anyone familiar with air travel with tortoises in Europe?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

#2 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2010 - 07:13 AM

You will need an export and import licence I would think. The best thing to do would be to phone DEFRA. I am sure they can tell you what you would need. And if its possible to do this, as some countries have some tight rules.

#3 Guest_Siri_*

Guest_Siri_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2010 - 01:52 PM

Hi,
You are not allowed to have tortoises as pets in Norway, except if you or anyone in your family have animal fur allergies. Then you need to make a formal application to mattilsynet.no. You can only apply for testudo hermannis. Sulcatas will not be allowed. Upon arriving in the country, customs will ask for all paperwork on the animal and from the mattilsynet.no.
Sorry for rigid laws...

Siri

#4 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2010 - 05:29 PM

Hi Siri,

Welcome to the forum. biggrin.gif

Thanks for helping with that information.
Do you keep Hermanns?

Paula x

#5 Guest_Siri_*

Guest_Siri_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2010 - 08:35 PM

QUOTE (Hettie @ Oct 29 2010, 05:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Siri,

Welcome to the forum. biggrin.gif

Thanks for helping with that information.
Do you keep Hermanns?

Paula x

Yes, I have two one year old hermanns. Legally (!) imported from a reputable breeder in Denmark.

siri

#6 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2010 - 09:43 PM

I wonder if there are many differences in torty keeping in Norway compared to how the majority care for torts over here? Such a difference in climate.

Paula x

#7 Guest_Siri_*

Guest_Siri_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2010 - 05:50 PM

Hello Hetti
Maybe we should start a new thread..? -
Tort keeping in Norway is not very different from UK if you live in the south of the country. I live in Oslo which has an inland climate. Fairly warm stable summers (compare to what I read Bruce is experiencing in Scotland), but very cold winters with 3 months snow and freezing temperatures. Up north in Norway the climate is so harsh and cold that it will give problems with outside enclosures during summer.

In Oslo during the summer, the torts are outside in enclosures like you have, from late May to late September. In the winter they will be hibernated from next year, as they are young yet. Last winter as well as this winter they have an indoor enclosure with the full "package" like you all promote. (Heat/UVB etc, etc). As we have snow and freezing tempartures for many months, it is impossible to pick weeds during the winter. So during winter they are fed Pre-Alpin Testudo (http://www.agrobs.de...s/Tortoises.htm).

I also follow the advise from the German breeder Wolfgang Webehaupt (http://www.testudo-f.../html/book.html) and the Danish breeder Otto Høj Madsen (http://www.marginata.dk/) on how to care for them. They promote the natural way of living. This also means that (contrary to what you do in UK), we don't bath the torts. We give them moist substrate to dig into, and a pool of water where they can bath if they want. We dont give them food (and heat/UV) every day during winter either, to ensure that they don't get too much food in the "slow" season.

Siri

#8 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2010 - 08:06 PM

Hi Siri,

You're right I should have started a new post! blush.gif So now I have in the main forum!

Paula x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users