herman shell

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_bufsb_*

Guest_bufsb_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2010 - 02:15 PM

hi everyone i bought a herman tortoise last week hes just over a year old and ive never owned a tortoise before i bought it private and got the certificate with it.when i got home i went to the pet shop to buy dishes ect with the tortoise and was told the top of its shell should be perfectly snooth mine has got a ridge down its back from nose to tail a full row of (i dont no what the proper name for it is)scales , it dosnt look like anything is wrong with it and it eats ,drinks and sleeps well and passes its bits ok and was told its been badley looked after from the previous owner wheither it was the pet shop owner who just said this because i diddnt buy it off of them i dont no anyway i keep it in a 3 foot vivarium at the momment with uv and basking lamp and a hide i feed it greens and a little fruit daily and bath it everyday hes lively enough and ive got a table for him, which is the best table or viv .i also keep bearded dragons and marine fish so this is not a big challenge i just want advice off of people who have experience in keeping hermans and not trying to sell me one
regards bufsb

#2 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2010 - 04:31 PM

QUOTE (bufsb @ Oct 12 2010, 03:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hi everyone i bought a herman tortoise last week hes just over a year old and ive never owned a tortoise before i bought it private and got the certificate with it.when i got home i went to the pet shop to buy dishes ect with the tortoise and was told the top of its shell should be perfectly snooth mine has got a ridge down its back from nose to tail a full row of (i dont no what the proper name for it is)scales , it dosnt look like anything is wrong with it and it eats ,drinks and sleeps well and passes its bits ok and was told its been badley looked after from the previous owner wheither it was the pet shop owner who just said this because i diddnt buy it off of them i dont no anyway i keep it in a 3 foot vivarium at the momment with uv and basking lamp and a hide i feed it greens and a little fruit daily and bath it everyday hes lively enough and ive got a table for him, which is the best table or viv .i also keep bearded dragons and marine fish so this is not a big challenge i just want advice off of people who have experience in keeping hermans and not trying to sell me one
regards bufsb

Hi bufsb congrats on becoming a tort owner wink.gif I'm a bit of a newby myself. I think what your talking about is pyramiding??? and a few things can cause this. A lot of people believe a table is best to keep the med species in. Some types of salad mixes are ok for fedding over the winter listed here http://www.tortoisetrust.org/enews/ but certain flowers and weeds are best if you can find them, you can even grow your own =D Fruit I've read is a no no if I remember righlty one of the main reasons is due to it being sweet they can become addicted to it I'm sure someone more experienced can clear that up. I'd also add some calcium (if you haven't already) I'm sure you'll love being a tort owner their great. Hope I've been of some help I'm sure someone with more experience will be along soon =D x

#3 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2010 - 06:02 PM

Hi There and welcome to the forum.
Also, many congratulations on your new tortoise.
I think Cara has given you some excellent advice. I would just add that an open top enclosure is often preferred to a viv. Vivs can become overheated due to lack of air circulation and are not always good for torts. So this is something you might want to consider. Anyway, I wish you the best of luck with your new tort.You, certainly have plenty of adventures ahead. Best of luck wink.gif
Kind Regards
Freddy smile.gif

#4 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2010 - 08:03 PM

Hello there,

Welcome to the forum. biggrin.gif

Most of our members use a table top enclosure or an indoor rabbit cage, there are pictures to pinch ideas from in out indoor enclosure section.
Pyramiding is said to be caused by several factors, wrong/too much food, dehydration and lack of exercise... probably a combination of all!

As Cara suggested fruit is not recommended for Hermanns torts.
... We have an edible weed section... laugh.gif
During the winter when weeds are scarce keepers sometimes rely on some shop bought food to bulk out the little available. Florretti CRISPY bagged leaves, lambs lettuce, romaine, raddicio, rocket, frisee, endive, little gem. A varied diet is the way to go! Dandelions, plantain, sowthistle and nipplewort are growing madly in my garden, you could google image them to see if you can find any. You may have plants in the garden that are suitable too.
It is good you are bathing him, little torts dehydrate very quickly under lamps.

Paula x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users