Billiejo goes into Hibernation

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2010 - 05:53 PM

Hi All,
I Put 'Billiejo' into hibernation today. She had completely slowed down and was inactive for the past 5 days. She also hadn't eaten in over 3 weeks. All signs that she was ready to go into hibernation. I was going to place her box in the loft but there was a lot of condensation there so I decided not to risk these wet conditions. She's now double boxed in topsoil in a milder part of the house were hopefully it won't get too warm. It seems to be cool there anyway. Fingers now crossed for a smooth and trouble free hibernation. ;)
Best Regards
Freddy :D

#2 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2010 - 06:13 PM

good luck freddy thats one long hibernation!!!when will she wake up then?

#3 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2010 - 06:21 PM

Hi Bruce,
Thanks for your reply. I usually hibernate her for 6 months until April. But I plan to take her out a month earlier this year as we recently moved house and she hasn't eaten as well in the last 2 months. It will be a 5 month hibernation this year so I'll probably take her out mid-march. Thanks for asking Bruce. It's much appreciated. Have any of yours started wind-down yet?
Regards
Freddy

#4 Guest_littledeedee_*

Guest_littledeedee_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2010 - 06:25 PM

arh Freddy...

what are you going to do for the next 5 mths!!

do you go and check on her randomly?

I was in B&Q AGAIN today and the guy told me that a rat ate his tortoise... It was in the attick, in hibernation and was attacked. Didnt like that sorry!!!

#5 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2010 - 06:35 PM

Hi Dee,
I have heard the same thing happen to torts with rats before. I always double check and secure the hibernation area as well as make sure the box is sealed and rodent proof. You're certainly right you can't be too careful. Thanks Dee. ;)
Kind Regards

#6 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2010 - 06:50 PM

the temps in the shed are still pritty high but still one of my females is still digging down.i am going to try and keep them going untl just brfore christmas

bruce

#7 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2010 - 06:57 PM

Best of luck with them Bruce!!!
Kind Regards
Freddy
P.S I sure hope Sandy comes back!!!

#8 Guest_littledeedee_*

Guest_littledeedee_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2010 - 06:57 PM

cant beleive how slow my boy has got.... never seen him like this. he even turned away from a bit of banana i tried to entise him with!!

#9 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:33 PM

Hope all goes smoothly. Bet you'll miss her not being around x

#10 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:41 PM

Thanks Cara. I always miss her around christmas time when the family are all together. There's always a missing space...... :(
Kind Regards
Freddy

#11 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:52 PM

Aww..... this is the part of tort ownership I'm not looking forward to =( hope the time flies by for you ;) x

#12 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2010 - 08:41 PM

Ooooh nyte nyte Billie Jo, see you on the Spring!

Best of luck with the hibernation Freddy, I was wondering Freddy, did her shell clear up before she went down?

And Dee, banana is a no-no for the Alfster! :)

Paula x

#13 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:09 PM

Hi Paula,
Thank you for your best wishes for 'Billiejo'. To answer your question her shell problem has improved greatly but has not yet fully cleared up. I was told it would take from 3 to 6 months when she was first diagnosed in June. Unfortunately not enough time before hibernation. So fingers crossed everything will be OK come spring. Thanks for asking Paula and for your concern. Hope everything is on course for Hettie, Boo and Bailey too. Best of luck ;)
Kind Regards

#14 Guest_littledeedee_*

Guest_littledeedee_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2010 - 07:03 AM

And Dee, banana is a no-no for the Alfster! :)

I know Paula BUT he loves it so.... he dont have much, promise.
(altho I think I will have to smeer banana on his allsort course to get him climbing!)

D x

#15 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2010 - 06:25 PM

Freddy ,Best of luck with hibernation for Billiejoe hope all goes to plan,H and Becky still active but hoping to hibernate them just before christmas outside in there house.
Jay,H and Becky

#16 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2010 - 01:09 PM

Hi Jayne,
Many thanks for your best wishes for 'Billiejo's' hibernation. They're much appreciated. Best of luck with H and Becky. ;)
Kind Regards

#17 Guest_robertsutton1978_*

Guest_robertsutton1978_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2010 - 11:58 AM

Hi Freddy
Hope all goes well with Billiejo's hibernation.
Roll on spring and she comes out again.
Regards
Robert and Bertie

#18 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2010 - 06:44 PM

Thanks so much Robert. Best of luck with Bertie too.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#19 Guest_English Rose_*

Guest_English Rose_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2010 - 08:38 PM

Ive got one that i havent seen for nearly 2 weeks... she seems to have decided the time is right for hibernation so im winding her down ready for the fridge. My newbie on the other hand is still very active and eating regularly so it looks like hes going to be staying awake over winter.

Good luck with your hibernation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users