Vet Advise Please

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_robertsutton1978_*

Guest_robertsutton1978_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2010 - 08:16 PM

Hello

Can anybody recommend a good vets for the West Midlands area ? I'm in Coventry.
My tort Bertie has really slowed down these last 2-3 weeks and is hardly eating.
He's indoors all the time now. I tried increasing the light and temps but he dosen't want to get going.
I can't see anything physically wrong with him, so I want to get him checked over.
I don't know if he's starting to hibernate, but I wasen't going to start his wind down until the start off December as he's only 3.

Thanks for any help

Robert

#2 Guest_cheekycharlie_*

Guest_cheekycharlie_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2010 - 08:27 PM

my tortoise stopped eating for a weeks or so but he was just backed up so ilooked to my book and it said to push his back legs in and out every day to help him. then a few days later his was back to normal.
heres a site which has lists of reccommended vets.
hope it helps

#3 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2010 - 09:05 PM

Hi Robert,

Did you get a sample checked for worms? There is a lists of vets at the top of the page when you first log in, are any near you? My geography is terrible! I have sent you a PM with another list I have.

Paula x

#4 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2010 - 09:37 PM

Hi Robert,
Bertie could indeed be winding himself down for hibernation. You'll know when he refuses food altogether. There could be a little time to go yet. I remember you saying that as far as you knew he hadn't been hibernated before but there is a first time for everything. However, as Paula says I would still get him checked out by a vet if nothing else than to make sure he is healthy and everything is fine pre-hibernation. If he does go down earlier than expected you'll have to re-arrange your plans hibernating him earlier and taking him out earlier. I would still aim for a 10 week hibernation period. If you can keep him going until the end of October that would be great.You will also need to gradually lower his heat/UV. But I'm afraid it's up to Bertie now.Best of luck Robert.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#5 Guest_robertsutton1978_*

Guest_robertsutton1978_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2010 - 11:09 AM

Hi All

Thanks for the replies.
I've booked him in tomorrow. Fingers crossed he'll get a clean bill of health.

Regards
Robert

#6 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2010 - 06:30 PM

Hello Robert
Best of luck at the vets tommorrow,it will put your mind at rest.
Jay,H and Becky

#7 Guest_robertsutton1978_*

Guest_robertsutton1978_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2010 - 02:48 PM

Hi All

Berties got a clean bill of health from the Vets. He's looked him over and checked him for worms and he's all clear.
He believes he's slowing down naturally and I should allow him to hibernate now if he wants to and if he won't respond to increased light and heat.
He's advised that I wind him down for 3 weeks and then hibernate him for 1 month, then as long as he hasen't lost more than 10% of his weight to continue for 1 more month.
I'm a little worried about him coming out of hibernation in December or January, but the vet believes once he's been hibernated he'll start eating again.
I'd be interested in what any body else things about this.
The vet I used was Craig Hunt at Chine House Veterinary Hospital, Leicestershire. He seemed very knowledgable about tortoises and keeps them himself, so I've no reason to doubt what he's told me, but I'd be interested to see if anybody else has any similar experience of bringing a tortoise out of hibernation early.

Regards
Robert

#8 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2010 - 04:30 PM

Craig Hunt is a reputable tortoise vet:0)
And what he said about hibernation is right, the only thing I would disagree with is saying hibernation should be just one month. As this can be easliy misunderstood. Far better to have said eight weeks hibernation for a first time. If all is well another two week is fine. But check regularly and if at any time you are worried (using your head not your heart) then just get them up:0)
I agree it would be silly getting the tort up if its still freezing outside.
You do sound level headed:0) which is not always the case.

#9 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2010 - 06:29 PM

Hi Robert,
Glad to hear Bertie got the all clear from the vet. Sounds like, all going well, Bertie will be coming out of hibernation early, around mid-January. You will then of course need to keep him in his indoor enclosure with heat/UV until the weather improves. Anyway, I'm delighted to hear things went so well. Best of luck Robert.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#10 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2010 - 07:01 PM

Hi Robert
Great news that all went well with Bertie,best of luck with hibernation.
Jay,H and Becky

#11 Guest_robertsutton1978_*

Guest_robertsutton1978_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2010 - 07:16 PM

Hi All

Thanks for the replies and advise. This is the fisrt hibernation for me, so I'm a bit worried at the moment smile.gif
I'll have to get the fridge up and running over the weekend and make sure it's OK.
I've only plugged it in once after I bought it.

If anybody lives around the Midlands area ,I would definitely recommend the vets I visited. Well worth going a bit further to visit.

Regards

Rob

#12 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2010 - 08:04 PM

Hi Rob,

Great news that Bertie has been given the thumbs up!

It can take a few tweaks to get the fridge running at the right temperature so it is a good idea to get it ready in plenty of time. I used bottles of water to help stabilize the temperatures inside.

Paula x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users