Table Advice

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_N.Willan_*

Guest_N.Willan_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2010 - 07:04 PM

Posted Image
After finding out someone I knew was throwing away their old wardrobe i thought i would take the oportunity to build Larry a new, bigger table as he's starting to get a bit big for the one he's in now.
At the moment he has seperate heat and UV lights and would like to get a combi one, can anyone suggest which to get and also would it be better to suspend the new light above the table or would a clamp lamp be better (on the short side opposite the "beach hut" :P )
Nick :)

#2 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2010 - 09:34 PM

Hi Nick,

I am not very bright.. boom boom, when it comes to bulbs. :LOL: But before you go ahead, just check something... do the combined bulbs have to be facing straight down as opposed to being at an angle.

I have a Zoo Med Powersun 100w bulb which I have been pleased with. There are lots of reports of problems with other bulbs at the moment so make sure you look into it well.

Paula x

#3 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2010 - 09:42 PM

This is a bulb that one of our members has recently had trouble with.

http://www.hermann-t...?showtopic=6211

I have just read elsewhere that this bulb has been tested and the levels of UV transmitted are very low. It is a problem, we just don't know without a UV meter just what UV levels these bulbs actually give out.

Paula x

#4 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2010 - 10:02 PM

Hi Nick,
Like Paula, I am not the brightest bulb in the pack when it comes to knowing about the lighting arrangements for tort indoor enclosures. As far as I'm aware a combi-lamp should be placed off-centre and directly over the enclosure so you have a basking end with temps of 32-34 degrees and a cooler end with temps of around 21-23 degrees. 100W would be the preferred rating for the lamp and you would need to adjust its height to affect temps. Also, I have heard that 'powersun' or 'megaray' brands are quite good. You could google them for more info. if you like? Hopefully, there will be others along shortly with more helpful advice. Best of luck Nick.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#5 Guest_N.Willan_*

Guest_N.Willan_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2010 - 10:55 PM

Thanks all of you for your replies :)
After reading more on the sunject MVB lamps should be pointing directly down and not on an angle so i will have to find a way to suspend it above the table instead of using a clamp lamp, any ideas anyone?
Nick ;)

#6 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2010 - 11:32 PM

Hi Nick,
You could attach a long narrow inverted L shaped piece of wood on the side of the enclosure and hang the combi from this as a sort of extension. See pics in the 'Home improvements' topic on the indoor enclosure section of this forum. You might also find some other ideas there. Hope this helps Nick. Best of luck ;)
Kind Regards
Freddy :D

#7 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2010 - 06:47 AM

i use a bit of copper pipe.works well!!!

#8 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2010 - 06:06 PM

Your tables looking good, I'm sure Larry will love it =D I had one of these for Roxys 1st enclosure http://www.surreypet...amp-stands.html they do cost a bit more than than attaching a length of wood to the side however they are adjustable making it easier to get your temps right. look forward to seeing the new table all set up with Larry inside ;) x

#9 Guest_N.Willan_*

Guest_N.Willan_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:45 PM

:) Thanks Everyone!
I like the inverted L idea, i still have a fair bit of wardrobe left :rolleyes:
Will post a picture when its finished.
Thanks again everyone for your advice and ideas.
Nick ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users