testing for worms

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:12 PM

Hello =D was just wanting to know if anybody has used this http://www.tortoise-...uk/site/174.asp to find out if their torts have worms? I have no reason to think Roxy has any but would like to make sure. Would rather use this and make a donation if sutible?
Thanks all wink.gif x

#2 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:27 PM

Great link, I haven't used it... but wish I had! rolleyes.gif laugh.gif

Paula x

#3 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:30 PM

QUOTE (Hettie @ Oct 18 2010, 09:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great link, I haven't used it... but wish I had! rolleyes.gif laugh.gif

Paula x

laugh.gif Hi Paula biggrin.gif how often should you get them tested then? Maybe something you could use in the future wink.gif x

#4 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:41 PM

Hi.

Yes I have had a test done by the Royal Dick School although I paid for mine because they hadn't started their research quite yet and I was in a hurry.

I don't know exactly what you get with the free one but they are highly regarded and know their stuff. So I would say, yes go for it! The result I got back was quite specfic. Low levels of worms might not require treatment.

A test for worms is a good idea if your tortoise fails to gain weight or is lethargic and not thriving. Some people get tests done routinely once a year. Now that I have had worms with mine I will get a test done once a year because the worms probably will come back.

Ozric

#5 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:47 PM

QUOTE (Ozric @ Oct 18 2010, 09:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi.

Yes I have had a test done by the Royal Dick School although I paid for mine because they hadn't started their research quite yet and I was in a hurry.

I don't know exactly what you get with the free one but they are highly regarded and know their stuff. So I would say, yes go for it! The result I got back was quite specfic. Low levels of worms might not require treatment.

A test for worms is a good idea if your tortoise fails to gain weight or is lethargic and not thriving. Some people get tests done routinely once a year. Now that I have had worms with mine I will get a test done once a year because the worms probably will come back.

Ozric

Hi Oz
Thank you very much for your reply =D Roxy has none of the above symptoms, however she's only 3 months old so hasn't been tested before. would you recomend getting her tested even though she has no signs of worms to be on the safe side?
Thanks Again x

#6 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2010 - 09:48 PM

Hi there. If all seems well then I personally wouldn't get a test done for Roxy at that young an age. On the other hand, there is nothing to be lost by doing a test. Just one of those many decisions we have to make...............

#7 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2010 - 07:40 AM

There are less chance of worms if your tortoise is not using soil that other tortoises have used. As tortoises that do have worms can pass on them very easily. So if you have more than one tortoise, and one has worms. You should worm all the tortoises, to stop cross infection.
If they are inside in an indoor enclosure, and worming, then its better to use newspaper as a substrate until the worming has been completed. And change the paper every day.
I personally dont worm my tortoises unless I see them, as I dont like to medicate unless actually needed. But I do keep a close eye on stools and the behavior of my torts.

#8 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2010 - 08:52 AM

Ok thanks Oz and Sandy some good advice if worms are ever a problem wink.gif x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users