sealing the wood?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_MrsG_*

Guest_MrsG_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2010 - 08:08 PM

Hi

What do you guys use to waterproof your indoor tables? Pond liner/sealant? I expect any sealant needs to be non-toxic. Where would you get this from?

Many thanks

Jo - newbie!! (incase you hadn't guessed!)

#2 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2010 - 08:43 PM

Hi Jo. Lots of people use pond liner and this is said to work well but I haven't done it.

The last time I did this job I used yacht varnish which is extremely tough and I did several coats. This won't count as being non toxic but in my opinion if we use sound wood of decent quality and are careful with the varnishing what we end up with is a very very hard finish that doesn't flake. And I've not seen any of my tortoises biting at it any time either.

If you search around you may find pet-friendly sealants. Apart from the problem of the wood rotting there is also a hygiene issue with tortoises kept on tables because animal wastes can be absorbed into wood so I agree that it does need to be sealed.

#3 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2010 - 08:51 PM

Hi Jo just to add to what Oz has mentioned above I've also known people to use floor lino or the self adisive vinyl floor tiles(I've seen packs of these in pounland) x

#4 Guest_Pat_*

Guest_Pat_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2010 - 08:52 PM

Hi Jo and welcome

I bought a selection of gravel trays from the garden centre and put them in the bottom of the table before putting the top soil in. These hold the water okay if you have plants in there and I have some which can be interchanged with growing weeds when they have munched their way through them!

Pat

#5 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2010 - 01:36 PM

a shower curtain is also something I've known people use =D

#6 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2010 - 05:45 PM

Hello
I have used vinyl lino in the bottom of my torts tabletop home then lots of top soil it worked well.
Jay,H and Becky

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users