help please with heat in tortoise table

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_emmawantsatortoise_*

Guest_emmawantsatortoise_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2010 - 08:54 PM

hi, got my babies in a table, had a 60 watt bulb one end, but the temp was only getting to 28degrees the other end was around 20, have changed it to a 100watt bulb, the temp is now 32 degrees which i think is about right the cool end is around 24 degrees

what im unsure about is if this is ok, and should i leave it on at night or turn it off as i dont have a thermostat.

my dad suggested something used in growing plants some cable that you bury in the soil and it warms the soil to a good temp, does anybody think this could work with heat lamp aswell

also thoiught about some sort of perspex sheet over the top of the table to keep the heat n better, but would tht just mae the same problem as a vivarium??

any help graetfully recieved

emma

#2 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2010 - 09:08 PM

QUOTE (emmawantsatortoise @ Oct 21 2010, 09:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hi, got my babies in a table, had a 60 watt bulb one end, but the temp was only getting to 28degrees the other end was around 20, have changed it to a 100watt bulb, the temp is now 32 degrees which i think is about right the cool end is around 24 degrees

what im unsure about is if this is ok, and should i leave it on at night or turn it off as i dont have a thermostat.

my dad suggested something used in growing plants some cable that you bury in the soil and it warms the soil to a good temp, does anybody think this could work with heat lamp aswell

also thoiught about some sort of perspex sheet over the top of the table to keep the heat n better, but would tht just mae the same problem as a vivarium??

any help graetfully recieved

emma

Hi Emma you temps sound fine with the 100w bulbs this is what I'm now using now it's got colder the 60w wasn't enough. Do you know what your night time temps are? I turn mine off and mine gets to about 16oC at night so I don't need extra heat at nighttime as the drop in temps are totally natural for our shelled friends I'm not 100% what the lowest night time temps can be thinks it's 10-12oC but I'm sure someone else could tell you this x

#3 Guest_emmawantsatortoise_*

• Guests

Posted 21 October 2010 - 09:12 PM

thank you for reply

i dont know the temps at night, with the 60watt lamp it was around 24 so i know it would be lower than that if i turn lamp off, however they do go in their little house, got readi grass in there which they bury themselves in, so i owuld imagine that keeps them warmish

#4 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2010 - 09:52 PM

Your welcome hope it was of some help to you. I should imagine they'll be fine if your house isn't too cold. My cool end temps are 20-21 during the day so my table temps at nite are only 4-5oC lower. If you do become worried it may be worth investing in a digital thermometer that give min and max readings just so you can get a night time reading of when it's coldest and to put your mind at ease ;) How old are your torts? Is it two you have? would love to see some pics = Dx

#5 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2010 - 07:24 PM

Hello
When i housed my torts in tabletop homes in the house i always turned there lights off at night,if out in the wild there would be no lights for them,and the heat from your house should be enough,especially if you have your central heating on at night,check temps with digital thermometer with and without lights.
Jay,H and Becky

#6 Guest_emmawantsatortoise_*

• Guests

Posted 22 October 2010 - 08:11 PM

thanks for replys

D the babys are 4 months old now, i think i love them more than my kids!!!!

i would love to put some pics on but no idea how to do it, will work it out and get some on, thanks again for advice

#7 Guest_emmawantsatortoise_*

• Guests

Posted 22 October 2010 - 08:17 PM

think i just worked out how to put pics on, fetched the camera and its flat!!! typical, so its on charge and will be putting lots of pics on tommorow

#8 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2010 - 08:18 PM

If you click reply or add reply rather than quick reply there's an attachments bit just under the box where you write your reply =D They are addictive aren't they my wee one is 3 months. They're tiny aren't they...look forward to seeing lots of pics :) x

#9 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2010 - 08:21 PM

ooh look forward 2 seeing them =) x

#10 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2010 - 10:28 PM

Hi! Yes 32C is the minimum basking spot. Don't use a light at night as the tort won't know its sleepy time. Most houses are warm enough at night unless you live in an old cottage with draughts.

I don't think the soil warming cables are a good idea for tortoises.

#11 Guest_Debby4_*

Guest_Debby4_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2010 - 02:09 PM

thanks for all the advice Rex is now munching quite happily obviously Im just an overprotective tortoise owner and abit unsure on whats normal x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users