Herman not eating

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Debby4_*

Guest_Debby4_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2010 - 12:08 PM

hope someone can help, I havent seen my herman tortoise eat for the past week, we are feeding him dandelions, rocket and romaine lettuce with nutrabol on occassions, he is still very lively and drinking passing urine with no problems is he eating in secret??
hope you can help
Debby x

#2 Guest_RyanClayton94_*

Guest_RyanClayton94_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2010 - 12:26 PM

it could be a combination of things, the vivarium, diet, heat and also the time of year - its coming up to hibernation time and their natural bodyclock will be telling them to start slowing down.

Ryan

x

#3 Guest_Debby4_*

Guest_Debby4_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2010 - 12:33 PM

QUOTE (RyanClayton94 @ Oct 24 2010, 11:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
it could be a combination of things, the vivarium, diet, heat and also the time of year - its coming up to hibernation time and their natural bodyclock will be telling them to start slowing down.

Ryan

x

thanks for your help we have him in a tortoise table temp kept at 25 through the day and reduced at night I soak him 2-3 times weekly and he is very lively during the day x

#4 Guest_wuz06_*

Guest_wuz06_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2010 - 12:56 PM

I think temps in their hotter end should be about 30-34 so that may be why he isnt eating! He may be trying to slow down as well for winter like Ryan said!

If you are concerned try hand feeding him to see if he will eat or after putting his food in keep a secret eye on him to see what he does, he may just be shy!!

xxx

#5 Guest_littledeedee_*

Guest_littledeedee_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2010 - 12:59 PM

hello and welcome. How old is he/her Debby?

the tort is proberbly natrally slowing down. remember they DO hibernate... so could be his own way of wanting shleepy time.

They will normally go off food for 10 day or so and could still be active but preparing their lil shelled selves for the big H.

dont panic, im sure a more experienced tort keeper will be on later for their opinion BUT personally think they are starting to prepare themself if they havent changed envirmoment or anything.

D

#6 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2010 - 01:29 PM

QUOTE (Debby4 @ Oct 24 2010, 01:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hope someone can help, I havent seen my herman tortoise eat for the past week, we are feeding him dandelions, rocket and romaine lettuce with nutrabol on occassions, he is still very lively and drinking passing urine with no problems is he eating in secret??
hope you can help
Debby x

Hi Debby and welcome to the forums =D
If you can get your hands on some tort friendly weeds that weould be great, not sure if you know but dandelions are fine in moderation but not to be fed daily I beleive.
There is a list on here somewhere with a list of edible weeds =D
Also a good list for winter feeding from the tortoise trust here http://www.tortoisetrust.org/enews/ and another good site is http://www.thetortoi...database_14.asp verity is good when feeding wink.gif

As the others have said it's coming up to hibernation time so he could be going in to slow down smile.gif do you plan on hibernating?

Your temps sound a bit low and should be around 32-34oC under heat source. Maybe try bathing in the morning before he's warmed up prepare his food when he's in there this normally gets their appitite going wink.gif

Hope this helps
look forward to hearing more about your shelled friend x

#7 Guest_Debby4_*

Guest_Debby4_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2010 - 01:57 PM

QUOTE (miller07 @ Oct 24 2010, 12:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Debby and welcome to the forums =D
If you can get your hands on some tort friendly weeds that weould be great, not sure if you know but dandelions are fine in moderation but not to be fed daily I beleive.
There is a list on here somewhere with a list of edible weeds =D
Also a good list for winter feeding from the tortoise trust here http://www.tortoisetrust.org/enews/ and another good site is http://www.thetortoi...database_14.asp verity is good when feeding wink.gif

As the others have said it's coming up to hibernation time so he could be going in to slow down smile.gif do you plan on hibernating?

Your temps sound a bit low and should be around 32-34oC under heat source. Maybe try bathing in the morning before he's warmed up prepare his food when he's in there this normally gets their appitite going wink.gif

Hope this helps
look forward to hearing more about your shelled friend x

thanks for all the advice he/she is 4months old so not going to hibernate this winter cheeky beggar has just been having a roam in the conservatory and been trying to pinch the cat biscuits I have tried hand feeding but he doesnt seem interested first tortoise i have owned and really want to have a life long friend x

#8 Guest_Debby4_*

Guest_Debby4_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2010 - 01:59 PM

QUOTE (Debby4 @ Oct 24 2010, 12:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
thanks for all the advice he/she is 4months old so not going to hibernate this winter cheeky beggar has just been having a roam in the conservatory and been trying to pinch the cat biscuits I have tried hand feeding but he doesnt seem interested first tortoise i have owned and really want to have a life long friend x

just checked thermometer and it is at 30 in hot end x

#9 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2010 - 03:04 PM

QUOTE (Debby4 @ Oct 24 2010, 02:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your welcome
Aww would love to see some pics. I know just how you feel, you worry about everything especially when their that small. my(my daughters) tort is just over 3 months old and she's our first tort, so know how your feeling wink.gif How long have you had her? if it's only been a couple of weeks it could be that she's still settling in. I bathe mine each morning and she goes straight to her food when she's back in her table =D
If you could raise the temps to 32-34oC and see how that goes.

x

#10 Guest_Debby4_*

Guest_Debby4_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2010 - 03:13 PM

QUOTE (miller07 @ Oct 24 2010, 02:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your welcome
Aww would love to see some pics. I know just how you feel, you worry about everything especially when their that small. my(my daughters) tort is just over 3 months old and she's our first tort, so know how your feeling wink.gif How long have you had her? if it's only been a couple of weeks it could be that she's still settling in. I bathe mine each morning and she goes straight to her food when she's back in her table =D
If you could raise the temps to 32-34oC and see how that goes.

x

had him about 5 weeks will try increasing temp he is very active climbing over everything including his food but I have caught him sneaking a bite since posted today x

#11 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2010 - 03:18 PM

QUOTE (Debby4 @ Oct 24 2010, 04:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
had him about 5 weeks will try increasing temp he is very active climbing over everything including his food but I have caught him sneaking a bite since posted today x

Ah that's good then,I'm sure he'll eat more when he's hungry, just too busy exploring by the sounds of it laugh.gif I'd just monitor how much he's eating for the next few days now wink.gif x

#12 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2010 - 06:55 PM

Hi Debby,
Welcome to the forum. biggrin.gif
How long do you have your lamp on? Is it a combined heat/UV lamp? If you are keeping the little fella up for the winter you may have to up the hours to 14 per day in an attempt to trick the little chap into thinking it's summer. I am not convinced they are ever tricked but this is what I was told by my vet when I had to overwinter Hettie one year.
Unless your house falls to below 14C (not very likely) you will not need any heat/light at night.

Paula x

#13 Guest_emmawantsatortoise_*

Guest_emmawantsatortoise_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2010 - 07:17 PM

hi,

my torts are 4 months old aswell, and one of mine isnt eating much at the moment, have made sure ive seen her drinking today tho, got her out of tortoise table tonight, i cant do this much as i also have a dog and 2 toddlers!!!

she has definately had a bit of a nibble tonight, not as much as normal tho and not as much as the other one

i think it must just be the time of year and the weather change

#14 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2010 - 07:56 PM

Hello Debby
This time of year i dont blame them wanting to slow down its so cold out there,if you are keeping inside all the time at the moment in a tabletop give half the amount of food in a dish then in the afternoon if you can bathe in luke warm water which encourages eating then give half amount of shell size after bath,my torts love an afternoon feed but make sure you do not over feed,just give roughly the amount of there shell size in a day it is difficult when there outside 24/7 my torts are now outside but i do give them some in there dishes so i know there getting there calcium and nutrabol and then they graze,make sure you keep dehydrated by giving regular baths, in table top home keep lights on for twelve to fourteen hours like Paula says ,i always turned lights off at night as they dont have lights on in the wild and the heat from your house should be plenty.My torts are out 24/7 and stay in a house with a 1wk heater and lights but i turn them off when its nice weather and the heater now stays on at night time but no lights.
Jay,H and Becky

#15 Guest_emmawantsatortoise_*

Guest_emmawantsatortoise_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2010 - 08:37 PM

jay thanks for that bit of advice will try that with mine, just noticed you live by me im in willenhall!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users