- - - - -

vivariums

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2005 - 12:01 PM

hiya has any body got any prove that vivariums kill tortoises?

I went to proteus reptiel trust in birmingham and spoke to the guy who looks after the tortoises, he said it is a load of rubbish. He gives advice out to zoo's so he must not be wrong. They have 23 tortoises

the web site is www.proteus.uk.net

Any way i just wanted to know who has prove of this.

p.s. my tortoises are not kept in vivariums

#2 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2005 - 12:31 PM

Hello Sarah.
Vivarium cause Med tortoise breathing problem due to the high humidity in them, Med tortoise are used to dry arid conditions.Tropical tortoise of certain species are ok in them to certain degree but I know nothing much about them so will leave that one alone.
Whether it kills or not I don't want to find out, I don't want a sick tortoise so In this case I trust the experts.
I have quickly scanned that site but found nothing about Chelonia
Arnie

#3 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2005 - 12:37 PM

go to reptile info
catergory - chelonia
on the web site above

when i have kept tortoises in vivariums i kept a humidity dial in there and it was aways dry?????

#4 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2005 - 12:50 PM

You only have to read the info on diet to see how old this info is
Arnie

#5 Guest_Joanne666_*

Guest_Joanne666_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2005 - 06:30 PM

Hi Sarah,

Go to www.tortoisetrust.org for info on how vivs kill torts. How is the poorly tortoise you have?

I find it amazing that your vivs have zero humidity, yet you have a room for a yellowfoot tortoise that has natural humidity at 70%.

#6 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2005 - 08:08 PM

who said i had a viv???????

#7 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2005 - 08:13 PM

my yellow foot has a dog bed full of water, she gets baths daily and humity where is she kept is 65-70.
i dont keep my tortoises in viv's, that is what a guy told me and he said if you want to question him talk to him becasue he gives advice to zoo's. zoo's have viv's are they wrong?

#8 Guest_firefox_*

Guest_firefox_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2005 - 08:58 PM

Yes they are very wrong - I wonder why you are asking advice and then telling everyone you already know the correct answer. First off I would change my email address - it speaks a multitude ;-)

#9 Guest_Joanne666_*

Guest_Joanne666_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2005 - 05:17 PM

Where do you live where a room in your house has that much humidity without any artificial aid?

#10 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2005 - 09:15 PM

It does get aid we have lots of water in the room, we are slowely bringing the humity up, she could get problems if we just stick her in a humid room. she needs a slow build up. we will get more aid when she can cope
she also used to eat banana's nothing else well ive changed that, but she only eats mango so i have to chop weeds up and put it in the mango and slowely reduce the mango.
she also had problems with her eyes and she had worms. we had many visits the the vets

I do the best for my tortoises, i get advice all the time, i just wanted to know who has proof that they kill. it seems to me no one can argue in this forum or you get nasty

#11 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2005 - 09:07 PM

lol what does it tell you?. i went to see the guy at the reptile trust 2day. he said i am doing everything right. he thinks vivs are fine. my yellow foot was used to no humidity, she was kept by a gas fire we have slowley brought the humdity up and she is thriving.

viv's dont kill tortoises

#12 Guest_firefox_*

Guest_firefox_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2005 - 10:46 PM

Fine go kill your tortoise slowly then ;-) Oh and don't forget to let the tortoise trust know they have been doing it wrong for thirty years and need to speak to your unknown reptile man LOL
Bye blonde sarah

#13 Guest_Kathrina_*

Guest_Kathrina_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2005 - 04:13 PM

hi
i am realy confused on this subject what kills the torts there are so many sides:-(
kathrina

#14 Guest_grahame_*

Guest_grahame_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2005 - 08:23 AM

hi Sarah

please check out the tortoise trust web site (you have nothing to lose)before you condem your torts to life in a viv.

regards grahame

#15 Guest_Joanne666_*

Guest_Joanne666_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2005 - 02:32 PM

Blondsarah certainly suits you. Vivs do kill tortoises, slowly. If you wish to condemn your torts to that ending, there is nothing we can say to stop you, only your conscience can do that.
You keep 5 different species of torts, one an endangered species, under, what seems, very dubious circumstances. I have repeatedly asked you about humidity for this yellowfoot and you havent given me a direct answer yet.......I think you make it up as you go along.
Why are you introducing it slowly to something it has to have?
You told me it didnt need to see a vet for the shell damage, now you say you've had repeated visits. If you arent a qualified vet, how on earth do you know this damaged shell doesnt need treating, it could be rotting underneath. I have given you links to read the info on the Tortoise Trust, but it would seem you havent bothered to read it, if you had you wouldnt be asking about vivs.

The Tortoise Trust is the most respected tortoise organisation in the world and perhaps if you took the time to read your literature, your torts might have a better life.

I also have a gut feeling you are keeping some of these species together, it can be fatal.

#16 Guest_Radicaldave_*

Guest_Radicaldave_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2005 - 05:11 PM

I always overwinter my torts in a ViV, they only kill torts if you do not have a correct setup, as with any reptile it must have the correct variables to survive. These are humidity, temperature and light. However i do agree that keeping a tort in a viv all year round is most definatly not good and they would probably die of severe worms, respiratory problems or even boredom.

#17 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2005 - 03:45 PM

like i keep telling you Joanne666 i have a dog bed full of water and they get spayed all the time. the humidity is about 70-75 We went to a tortoise check up day yesterday and they were amazed my my red foots.
my yellow foot had no humidity at all i had to indroduce it slowly to would harm her if she was just put in that environment.
I have been to the vets with all my tortoises not just my yellow foot. like i said the damage is fine.
yes blonde sarah does suit me thankyou just because i have blonde hair doesnt mean im stupid, if i was i wouldnt have graduated from uni last friday.
I think you have been giving good advice out but why do you have to be so nasty??? keep your nasty comments to yourself

#18 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2005 - 06:02 PM

Yes they are very wrong - I wonder why you are asking advice and then telling everyone you already know the correct answer. First off I would change my email address - it speaks a multitude ;-)

Now that wasn't very nice was it Firefox. Being spiteful won't get your point across it will just make you look like you can't enter into a debat without being nasty.

#19 Guest_denisecase_*

Guest_denisecase_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2005 - 10:50 AM

hiya has any body got any prove that vivariums kill tortoises?

I went to proteus reptiel trust in birmingham and spoke to the guy who looks after the tortoises, he said it is a load of rubbish. He gives advice out to zoo's so he must not be wrong. They have 23 tortoises

the web site is www.proteus.uk.net

Any way i just wanted to know who has prove of this.

p.s. my tortoises are not kept in vivariums

I am thinking of purchasing a tortoise next year but want any info i can get. can you please tell me where you keep your tortoise if not in a vivarium. i would rather not have to use a vivarium but obviously would like to know how best to keep one. many thanks.

#20 Guest_emma72_*

Guest_emma72_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2005 - 11:45 AM

hi

i have a tabletop enclosure ..got to this site www.tortoiseshop.com and you will see the one like i have , i have also got the outside run off there as well.
i have just finshed doing my outside enclosure which is basically a shed with a garden which is ecape proof it also is going to have electric in it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users