Viola Leaves

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Beth87_*

Guest_Beth87_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2010 - 12:26 PM

Hello

We are slowly building up a selection of edible plants for our 3 month old hatchling so I sent my other half out with a list. Violets were on the list but he came back with a Viola plant! It has green leaves and purple flowers. Does anyone know whether it would be okay to give her viola? I haven't seen it on the toxic plant list.

#2 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2010 - 12:37 PM

QUOTE (Beth87 @ Oct 26 2010, 01:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello

We are slowly building up a selection of edible plants for our 3 month old hatchling so I sent my other half out with a list. Violets were on the list but he came back with a Viola plant! It has green leaves and purple flowers. Does anyone know whether it would be okay to give her viola? I haven't seen it on the toxic plant list.

Hi Beth
Viola is safe to feed smile.gif
I use this site for checking http://www.thetortoi...9.asp?catID=213
x

#3 Guest_N.Willan_*

Guest_N.Willan_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2010 - 12:41 PM

I believe they are fine smile.gif
You may want to wait around for more advice of somebody else just to be sure.
Nick wink.gif

#4 Guest_Beth87_*

Guest_Beth87_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2010 - 12:51 PM

Thanks guys!

#5 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2010 - 01:01 PM

QUOTE (Beth87 @ Oct 26 2010, 01:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks guys!

No probs, How's your little one settling in?
Also are you aware that the plants/flowers will need weathering if bought frow garden centre?
x

#6 Guest_Beth87_*

Guest_Beth87_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2010 - 01:50 PM

She's excellent thank you - very lively. I really want another one but we'll probably just stick with Esio for now!

I'm not sure what you mean by weathering. We're not planning to plant it - it's just in a pot on our windowsill for now. We wanted her to try something new as all the weeds are always frozen in the morning when we feed her.

We won't be hibernating her as Darran (who we got her from) advised that we would still be getting to know her and understanding her habits. We are trying to get her to eat something other than dandelion and clover leaves (her favourites)! She has turned her nose up at rose petals, which I thought would be a nice treat.

How is your little one? She seems to be about the same age as Esio.

Beth

#7 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2010 - 02:12 PM

QUOTE (Beth87 @ Oct 26 2010, 02:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
She's excellent thank you - very lively. I really want another one but we'll probably just stick with Esio for now!

I'm not sure what you mean by weathering. We're not planning to plant it - it's just in a pot on our windowsill for now. We wanted her to try something new as all the weeds are always frozen in the morning when we feed her.

We won't be hibernating her as Darran (who we got her from) advised that we would still be getting to know her and understanding her habits. We are trying to get her to eat something other than dandelion and clover leaves (her favourites)! She has turned her nose up at rose petals, which I thought would be a nice treat.

How is your little one? She seems to be about the same age as Esio.

Beth

She's good thanks, we got her from Darran as well smile.gif they are addictive wee things aren't they, we're getting another one in a couple of weeks.
If things are bought from garden centres etc they've normally been treated by chemicals etc , so need to be weathered.
I was told to leave plants etc out doors to be weathered for a few weeks- a month and also to remove the 1st lot of flowers and wait for the 2nd crop to feed.
(This is what I was advised on another forum.)
You could pick some weeds and pop then in your fridge so you don't need to worry about them being frozen in the morning this is what I do wink.gif
I'm also growing my own in a small portable greenhouse.
x

#8 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2010 - 07:19 PM

If you did want to plant anything from the garden centre into your enclosure another thing to consider is the soil it is planted in. It often contains those fertilizer balls. I break the soil away from the roots and plant into plain old topsoil. I haven't had much luck inside though so not really qualified to offer advice! laugh.gif
Unless you want dead ones like mine! biggrin.gif
Plantain is another weed that is easy to identify and is growing everywhere at the moment. There may be a picture in the weed section or you could google image it?

Paula x

#9 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2010 - 07:27 PM

QUOTE (Hettie @ Oct 26 2010, 08:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you did want to plant anything from the garden centre into your enclosure another thing to consider is the soil it is planted in. It often contains those fertilizer balls. I break the soil away from the roots and plant into plain old topsoil. I haven't had much luck inside though so not really qualified to offer advice! laugh.gif
Unless you want dead ones like mine! biggrin.gif
Plantain is another weed that is easy to identify and is growing everywhere at the moment. There may be a picture in the weed section or you could google image it?

Paula x

This is what I did re-poted everything in top soil wink.gif and cut the flower heads away. My fuschia totally died sad.gif but new has grown back biggrin.gif x

#10 Guest_Beth87_*

Guest_Beth87_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2010 - 07:57 AM

Thanks for the advice Paula. We don't use fertilizers and haven't actually planted anything outside yet. Going to wait until next season! I noticed that Esio had what looked like green residue aroung her mouth this morning :-/ Going to start another topic to see if anyone else has heard of this - I'm hoping it's just from the plants!

Beth

#11 Guest_MrsG_*

Guest_MrsG_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2010 - 09:04 PM

Esio is such a good name!!! I have just read that book to my class at school (5 and 6 year olds) to share my excitement of getting my own hatchling!! Hope you are enjoying her as much as I am Shelby! smile.gif

#12 Guest_Beth87_*

Guest_Beth87_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2010 - 09:17 PM

Thanks to everyone for the tips!

I'm glad someone else has heard of Esio Trot - everyone just thinks we're mad when we tell them :-)

Beth xx

#13 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2010 - 09:22 PM

I hadn't heard of this book before but think I'll get it for my daughter. She's 8 and loves story books with torts in them smile.gif
So thanks for mentioning it wink.gif x

#14 Guest_MrsG_*

Guest_MrsG_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2010 - 09:27 PM

It's Roald Dahl and is brilliant!! My class had to have some of it explained so I'm sure at 8 it would be perfect for your daughter! Enjoy smile.gif

QUOTE (miller07 @ Oct 27 2010, 10:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hadn't heard of this book before but think I'll get it for my daughter. She's 8 and loves story books with torts in them smile.gif
So thanks for mentioning it wink.gif x

#15 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2010 - 09:30 PM

QUOTE (MrsG @ Oct 27 2010, 10:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's Roald Dahl and is brilliant!! My class had to have some of it explained so I'm sure at 8 it would be perfect for your daughter! Enjoy smile.gif

yeah I did google it hehe
Thanks Jo will deffo pick it up for her x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users