hibernation newby

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_aliandneil_*

Guest_aliandneil_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2010 - 06:44 AM

Some advice please on the first hibernation for us and our tort. The fridge idea seems best for us and I have read one message saying not to have a freezer compartment in the fridge. Is this very important, only my mum has a tabletop fridge with a small freezer compartment that we can borrow, or do I really have to buy a new one without this compartment? Any suggestions too for a suitable thermometer to monitor it and websites would be really appreciated.

Also, does the fridge then have to be in a very quiet place or is indoors in a room that is used okay, only we don't have a garage or quiet utility room and we do have a 6 year old daughter!. I am a bit concerned that the tort might get woken up!

Many thanks. :wub:

#2 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2010 - 07:12 PM

Hi guys! :D

I have only one hibernation under my belt so really dont have the experience to answer your questions.
Except to say everything I have read has suggested NOT to use a fridge with a freezer compartment. Hopefully someone with more experience will come along with more advice.
http://www.kimbosrep...meter-p-31.html This is the type of thermometer I used last year, you can put the probe on the inside of the fridge and read it on the outside.
I would imagine that vibration would be a bigger problem that a noisy little person! :D

Paula x

#3 Guest_aliandneil_*

Guest_aliandneil_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2010 - 09:20 AM

Many thanks for your reply Paula, I have just ordered the thermometer you suggested, it looks perfect.

Unless anybody can advise me they have used a fridge with freezer compartment I think I will have to get shopping for one without. The little chap has got to be comfy after all!! :wub:

#4 Guest_AndyG_*

Guest_AndyG_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2010 - 10:25 AM

I picked up a cheap one last year out of the paper and its still working fine. used it as beer fridge during the summer style_emoticons/default/smile.gif
Save spending out on new.

#5 Guest_aliandneil_*

Guest_aliandneil_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2010 - 01:09 PM

Yes, that sounds like the way to go. I shall keep an eye out for a second hand one. Thanks for your help. :rolleyes:

#6 Guest_aliandneil_*

Guest_aliandneil_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2010 - 06:47 AM

I have been looking on e-bay and are keeping an eye on some beer fridges, you know the ones that have brand names on the sides and a clear door (I can cover this to make it dark). The temp range seems to be okay although I now have a thermometer to check this.

Can anyone tell me please if these fridges are okay or does the fridge have to be a certain size inside for air. I plan on opening the door once a week to check and weigh him anyway.

Thank you. :rolleyes:

#7 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2010 - 06:08 PM

Hello
The reason why you cannot have a fridge with freezer compartment is because the temps drop lower into the minus which is not suitable,ideal place is in a room thats has maintained temps like kitchen,lounge,conservatory,bedroom not in a room where doors are opened all the time as i learnt that as i put mine in the porch at the beginning when sorting out temps with a digital thermomter every time the front door opened the temps kept changeing i then put it next to my fridge/freezer and it became stable,have a look on ebay a table top fridge is ideal i just sold mine on ebay as i'm hibernating mine outside in there house.Best of luck with hibernation.
Jay,H,Becky and Humpty

#8 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2010 - 10:31 PM

I opened my fridge daily for a quick air change. I am not sure how long it would be okay to leave a little fridge closed.

Paula x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users