MY PLANS!!

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_RyanClayton94_*

Guest_RyanClayton94_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2010 - 09:09 PM

so, i've finally decided to change from a vivarium to a tort table.

im going to try to make my own, and im going to get some wood over the weekend and buy some accesories and stuff for the table.

any tips?

what should i do for the uv lamp, heat lamp and heat mat ( i already have these, just not sure what to do with them if i was to put them on the table)

will he be ok after having 3 years in a viv to going into the table? im going to keep him in my room, where he already was. please, any tips etc?

thanks, ryan x

#2 Guest_emmawantsatortoise_*

Guest_emmawantsatortoise_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2010 - 09:22 PM

hi ryan

my torts are in a table, its around 3ft by 2ft, i have a seperate heat lamp and uv lamp, they have a little hut to sleep with readi grass in, and the table has 50/50 topsoil and play sand mix

they have a peice of slate to for food with bricks around the edge to try stop them taking any soil on to the slate and eat it

load of little pebbles around the water dish for the sme reason

i think most people say to stay clear of heat mats as the torts can burn the belly on them

im sure your tort will be happier in the table everybody says so, i have struggled a bit to get the temp right as its an open enclosue the heat can escape, but just use a thermometer and see how it goes

im sure someone with more experience will be along to give you more advice
good luck
emma

#3 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2010 - 09:39 PM

Hi Ryan,

Emma has given you some great ideas. :D

I just use plain topsoil in my enclosure. People use different mixes, (I used to use 70:30 soil to playsand) but to be honest I think it is just one of those things that have been repeated over time on forums. I think that sand was used to 'lighten up' heavy clay soil to make it more suitable for digging in. The bagged topsoil is quite light as it is and so playsand is not really needed.

Heatmats can be dangerous and have been said to of caused burns, besides torty needs to have heat from above.

Different substrates, places to hide and obstacles to break up the straight edges of the table are things to consider. Did you have a look in the indoor enclosure section? You might get some ideas from there.

Paula x

#4 Guest_RyanClayton94_*

Guest_RyanClayton94_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2010 - 09:45 PM

thanks for replies :)

will he be ok? he has been in a viv for 3 years now....

how would i get temp. right aswell?

x

#5 Guest_Beth87_*

Guest_Beth87_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2010 - 09:53 PM

Hi Ryan

It's great that you're trying to improve things for your tort! You'll need to get a thermometer to keep an eye on the temperature - we got ours from pets at home for three pound and it'a just stuck to the side in the basking area. I think you need to hit about 30 degrees in the basking area.

At the moment we use a desk lamp for our three month old hatchling with a UVB lamp suspended above. It will probably be strange for your tort to start with but in the long run it will be much better for him. He'll soon grow to love his new enclosure!

Beth xx

#6 Guest_RyanClayton94_*

Guest_RyanClayton94_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2010 - 09:56 PM

i have a uv light, so i will put that on a side of the table, i also have a heating lamp, so i will suspend that somehow over one end of the table..

is this right?
x

#7 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2010 - 10:54 PM

Hi Ryan, it's great your trying to improve things for your shelled friend(don't know his name lol) :D
just a wee look on google and found this pic of a table that may be of some help to you ;)
http://bbs.pxtx.com/Attachment/2009/07/27/5596848438499.jpg
And shoes how they have the heat and uv attached.
If your making it yourself I would make the sides quite high so tort can't escape and you can have the soil nice and deep for him :)
Also you may want to line the bottom and some of the side of it with pond liner or a shower curtain or some sticky back floor tiles (they sell these in pound land if you have one local) or something just to waterproof it.
I got some 60w spotlight bulbs and some 100w spotlight bulbs. I normally get the right temp with the 60w but if it's a bit colder and lowering the light slightly doesn't work I change to a 100w.

littledee on here has just put her tort in to a table (think he's 6) and he's settled in well. It may take a few days or maybe even weeks but I'm sure he'll settle just fine x

#8 Guest_RyanClayton94_*

Guest_RyanClayton94_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2010 - 11:04 PM

thanks, so much help :)

i'll update with some pics afer its done xx

#9 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2010 - 11:07 PM

Yeah that's fine :)
you could make a arm thing to suspend it from like they have in the pic. Or do you mean a light fitting? x

#10 Guest_RyanClayton94_*

Guest_RyanClayton94_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2010 - 11:14 PM

ye i think thats what im going to do :) im going to try and make it tommorow, and before i put the tort innit i will upload a pic to see what you's think and see if its suitable! im gunna go get him new stuff e.g decorations, bridges and stuff aswell!

x

#11 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2010 - 11:16 PM

Ooh that's great, can't wait to see it.
I'm sure you'll have great fun making it and your tort will have great fun exploring it.
What size you plan on doing it?
x

#12 Guest_RyanClayton94_*

Guest_RyanClayton94_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2010 - 11:18 PM

QUOTE (miller07 @ Oct 29 2010, 10:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ooh that's great, can't wait to see it.
I'm sure you'll have great fun making it and your tort will have great fun exploring it.
What size you plan on doing it?
x

well i currently have his vivarium on a stand about 2 metres long, and about 1 metre wide approx. so just short of that hopefully smile.gif ?? he's 3, so will this be big enough and how long for?x

#13 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2010 - 11:25 PM

so thats about 6ftx3ft?
I think this should be fine for a good few years. I'm sure though but someone on here with more experince will be able to advise you better.
The bigger the better though ;)

x

#14 Guest_RyanClayton94_*

Guest_RyanClayton94_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2010 - 11:26 PM

well the table is pretty big! i think it'll be big enough :) x

#15 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2010 - 11:33 PM

=

I'd be suprised if it wasn't and it's prob loads bigger than the viv he's in :happy: well have fun 2moz x

#16 Guest_RyanClayton94_*

Guest_RyanClayton94_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2010 - 11:34 PM

see you tomorow with pics ;) x

#17 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2010 - 05:29 PM

Hi Ryan smile.gif
Did you make a start on the table today? x

#18 Guest_RyanClayton94_*

Guest_RyanClayton94_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2010 - 11:19 PM

i went out and bought new decorations which i was guna put in his table, which i will be starting soon :)

i put the new decor in his viv tonight, and when i checked on him, he was asleep under the circled bit of wood.

it had plenty of wood chips stacking it up (which i use at the minute), so it looks like he burrowed under it. is this normal, im very wooried :( x
Attached File  d.JPG   335.25KB   29 downloads

#19 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2010 - 12:00 AM

Yes it's very normal so don't worry :)
I think this is one of the main reasons people tend to use just plain old top soil these days as things like wood, sand etc can irritate their eyes when they burrow down ;)
When you get you table done and change to top soil you'll prob find he does it a lot more :)
Love what you've done to the viv though a lot safer than the high logs ;) x

#20 Guest_RyanClayton94_*

Guest_RyanClayton94_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2010 - 09:35 AM

oh good i was really worried lol!
he's up now munching away on his brekky :wub:
i should be gettin the table some time this week, i stumbled accross a big wooden case thing in my uncles house that would do fine, and he said it was no good to him so :)
x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users