Ozric's indoor hangout

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2010 - 12:16 PM

Posted Image

Hi friends. I decided to take some photos of my indoor enclosure as a couple of people have asked about it. These photos are not very pretty - sorry! But it might be useful for some keepers to see. This is quite a large enclosure, 1.8 metres by 1.5 metres. The sides are 25 cm high. The florr of it is made of decking tiles with a large sheet of outdoor grade plywood on top of that. I used yacht varnish to seal the wood and applied several coats. The finish is very tough. I used quite nice wood for the visible sides of the enclosure but the same thing could be made a lot cheaper with rougher wood.

Posted Image

I made a gantry that goes over part of the enclosure and this has Reptisun 2 strip lights on it. This is simple broad spectrum light not UV. I have a few different lamps on stands in use inclusing a 300watt Vitalux lamp that is a powerful heat and UVB lamp. This is only on for a while in the middle of the day to provide more intense UVB light and heat. This lamp has to be a lot higher off the ground as well and its only suitable for larger enclsoures.

I also use a 125watt MegaRay and there is a Halogen lamp on a stand as well. The halogen provides a nive warm glow and the aim there is to replicate early morning and evening sunlight.
Posted Image
The lamps are on timers and go on and off to try and copy the way conditions change in nature. I've got 3 different water places in there and all of them have been used for drinking by the tortoises but of course there is always some mess resulting too.

I feed the tortoises either on the roof tile or the textured slab and there are various hiding places. On one side there is a very cheap wooden box with lid that has an entrance hole. Most of the tortoises go there are night but not always. One is only happy when she s jammed in between fixed objects for sleeping.

I've got six tortoises in there at the moment but none of them is very large.

It does look a bit messy but I think I've made a fair effort at providing a good sized space for them. I like the natural materials like the cork oak wood and pine cones that I brought back from Corsica.
Posted Image
There is a lot of soil substrate in there and one disadvatage of a larger enclousre is the amount of work involved in changing the substrate.

#2 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2010 - 12:31 PM

that looks just great jonathan looks so natural!!

#3 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2010 - 12:32 PM

Fab inclosure Oz and your torts are Gorgeous :D x

#4 Guest_littledeedee_*

Guest_littledeedee_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2010 - 08:28 AM

wow.. well done John.

its like a tort Butlins :)

D
x

#5 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2010 - 08:47 PM

Oz that is fantastic!
Thanks for sharing, I'm sure we can all 'borrow' some of your ideas.
:D I haven't quite got the lighting as I would like it for our littlies, I should like to make some changes and think about things in a similar way to that you have. Different lighing to reinforce the different time of day. At the moment I have a combination bulb and use some old strip lights (UV now too low to be of worth) to provide additional light.
The inside of the shed is a little bare yet as I spent most of my time working on the outside enclosure and the inside of the greenhouse.
I had recently planted some petunias in the green house but they seem to have attracted blackfly... I pulled them up today so hopefully the flies will soon go.

Your little chaps are looking great Oz... so smooth!!

Paula x

#6 Guest_emmawantsatortoise_*

Guest_emmawantsatortoise_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2010 - 09:13 PM

that looks fab, they have loads to see and do, would lov to have that many torts in my table, the more the merrier

#7 Guest_wuz06_*

Guest_wuz06_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2010 - 09:46 AM

Amazing indoor enclosure! Im jotting down some notes! I love the pine cones!

Your torts all look very happy in there!

Louise

xx

#8 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2010 - 07:27 PM

Hi Oz
your torts are so lucky to have you,pictures are great!
Jay,H,Becky and Humpty

#9 Guest_Robink_*

Guest_Robink_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2010 - 10:17 PM

Oz, wow how your little torts have grown!!! Idea's on the sex of them yet?

#10 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2010 - 10:14 PM

I think I know the sex of the three older ones - one males and two females. :) So far so good.......the smaller ones I don't know yet at all. As the smaller hermanni hermanni tends to grow and mature more slowly, it may be very difficult to get an accurate sexing on them just yet. :cool:

This is important because I may want to try some breeding in the future and probably I would be planning to match :wub: one of the older ones with one of the younger ones as that would be a totally unlrelated pair. Giving max genetic diversity. But I'm getting ahead of mysef there!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users