external hibernation

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_bobbyhowler_*

Guest_bobbyhowler_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2010 - 05:28 PM

Hi I own a russian/horsefield tortoise Ive had my tort for 3 years hes 5 years old. the 1st winter because he was young i kept him awake on a tort table . Then i moved him to an outdoor enclosure which has a Kennel type house with lamp and bedding it has a small green house attached For basking and allso a 6ft by 4ft garden with weeds plants and tunnels. He can move freely throughout all these enviroments.
About a month ago he seemed to slow up on his eating and i started to reduce the time his lamp was on from 12 hrs to 9 hrs Im aware the temperatures are changing and he was getting ready to hibernate. when i checked his pen last night he wasnt in his bedding after poking around in his garden I found he's buried himself in one of his tunnels about 3 inches deep ive put some hay ontop of the soil to avoid the frost getting to him . This seems to be natural behaviour in the wild which is something I try to encourage however im usure if I should take him and put him in box hibernation what are the risks with leaving him out .
ps last year i turned his lights down gradually and he stayed in his kennel bedding he only hibernated for about 6 weeks then though

#2 Guest_Robink_*

Guest_Robink_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2010 - 10:21 PM

Hi, Bobby, what part of the country you in? If your up in Scotland area I wouldn't leave my tort out for hibernation)my opinion)

#3 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2010 - 08:12 PM

Hi Bobby
I have horsefields and i know how they love to dig deep its a shame your tort hasn't dug down in his home,do you normally get a harsh winter in the area where you live if it goes into the minus then there is a worry as it can effect there eyes and they can go blind,if i were you i would try and dig a good area around the tort without disturbing or hurting and put him in with the soil in his sheltered home,two of my horsefields are out24/7 and they will be hibernating in there home but i still have to reduce there lights and then try to keep them in there home so they cannot get to any food,by the way has your tort gone through four weeks of no food before digging down.
Jay,H,Becky and Humpty

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users