- - - - -

sleeping in water bowl

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_MrsG_*

Guest_MrsG_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2010 - 12:10 PM

Last night my husband came home to find Shelby asleep in her water bowl. The light has just gone off and she has again chosen to snooze in the water.

Is this normal/safe? Or should I move her out of it?

#2 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2010 - 12:30 PM

QUOTE (MrsG @ Oct 31 2010, 12:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Last night my husband came home to find Shelby asleep in her water bowl. The light has just gone off and she has again chosen to snooze in the water.

Is this normal/safe? Or should I move her out of it?

Shelby's certainly keeping you on your toes isn't she lol
Roxy sometimes falls asleep when I give her a bath in the morning and I leave her to it but keep a close eye on her.
I'd move her if she's decided to sleep there for the night just to put my mind at ease if nothing else rolleyes.gif but that's just me lol x

#3 Guest_MrsG_*

Guest_MrsG_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2010 - 12:34 PM

Thanks Cara.

She's moved herself now!

But will move her later if she chooses to sleep there tonight!

QUOTE (miller07 @ Oct 31 2010, 12:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Shelby's certainly keeping you on your toes isn't she lol
Roxy sometimes falls asleep when I give her a bath in the morning and I leave her to it but keep a close eye on her.
I'd move her if she's decided to sleep there for the night just to put my mind at ease if nothing else rolleyes.gif but that's just me lol x

#4 Guest_Pat_*

Guest_Pat_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2010 - 05:06 PM

Hi Mrs G

If the water has gone cold, mine sometimes stay in longer than they should not sure if it is something to do with them being inactive if they are cold??? I am sure somebody more experienced will explain.

I do know that if the water is warm they are very active. I moved my walk through water dish up to the end with the heater so it didnt get too cold.

Pat x

#5 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2010 - 09:55 PM

Hi. I would remove any of my tortoises if they went to sleep in the water because at night that water would get cold and its not good for them to be wet and cold.

#6 Hollyvictoria93

Hollyvictoria93

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 01:45 PM

Sheldon, is doing the same thing right now, although awake, he's been in there for a good 45 min.. Probably because he's a baby and needs the hydration etc, hope shelby has grown out of it. X

#7 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2015 - 05:29 PM

This is a very old post ;) either way it's not a good idea to leave torts in the water for any length of time.

#8 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 21 February 2015 - 07:11 AM

My torts dont generally go in their water bowls unless on a very hot summers day to cool down

#9 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2015 - 12:07 PM

Mine too Matt, which is perfectly normal. I have one that does it more than others and leaves her urates ther, while walking off with what I am sure is a torts grin on her face

#10 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 22 February 2015 - 12:10 PM

Ha yes Sue,sometimes i have to change the water twice aday as like you say they love to poop and leave urinates lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users