Hibernation Started

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_robertsutton1978_*

Guest_robertsutton1978_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2010 - 04:27 PM

Hi All

I put my tort Bertie into his fridge yesterday. If all goes according to plan, he'll be out just after new years day.
I'm really nervous about this, but he seems OK so far.
How often should I check on him and weigh him ? Also hw much will he move around ? I've given him a very deep compost/peat bedding but at the moment he's just sitting on top of it. Should I maybe cover him with shredded paper or bury him slightly ?

Thanks
Robert

#2 Guest_Pat_*

Guest_Pat_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2010 - 05:09 PM

Robert,

I hope all goes well, mine are going down for the first time at the end of December - hopefully until Feb/March.

Not sure about your questions, I am sure somebody with a few years under their belt will advise!

Pat

#3 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2010 - 07:28 PM

Hi Robert,

Best of luck with Bertie. :wub:

I have only hibernated once so have very little experience. Last winter I used to open the fridge door daily to let in fresh air, I weighed my little guys weekly, I kept the room cool and made sure they were straight in and out so as not to disturb them, they did shuffle a little, but not very much, I would occasionally notice somebody had turned 90'. :) All 3 of mine stayed on the top of the soil throughout hibernation.

Paula x

#4 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2010 - 07:59 PM

Hi Robert
Best of luck with hibernation,i did exactly the same as Paula last year,mine are going in hibernation at the end of December but this year not in the fridge they are staying in there outside house.
Hope all goes to plan.
Jay,H,Becky and Humpty

#5 Guest_robertsutton1978_*

Guest_robertsutton1978_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2010 - 04:45 PM

Hi

Thanks for all the replies and advise.
3 days in and I'm already a nervous wreak, I don't know what I'll be like after 8 weeks !! :D
Hibernation may be good for the torts but it's hell on us owners.

Cheers

Robert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users