To wake her or not?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Queen of Wales_*

Guest_Queen of Wales_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2010 - 09:34 AM

Hello all! Need a little advice......

My four year old shelled princess has taken herself off to hibernation but we haven't completed the usual pre-sleep routine! Aarrrrgggghhhhh!

She's been wormed, not eaten for two days and I was slowly reducing her light and heat but now she's buried herself down and is out for the count! She's only had one bath (with no defecation) so I'm not sure if I should wake her or not. Help?

She must have felt herself ready for hibernation or else she wouldn't have gone so quickly, right? I'm now panicing over undigested food rotting in her belly!! :unsure:

Can anyone advise my next course of action?

Regards from a VERY worried tortoise guardian!

#2 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2010 - 02:05 PM

Can anyone advise my next course of action?

Regards from a VERY worried tortoise guardian!

hi if it were mine i would not let it hibernate unless i was pritty sure its belly was pritty empty as the undigested food could kill it.is your tortoise living outside just now?mine are outside in a heated shed and most as still active.one has slowed down a little but still eating

bruce

#3 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2010 - 07:15 PM

Where has she buried herself? Is she outside?
What sort of enclosure does she live in?

Paula x

#4 Guest_Queen of Wales_*

Guest_Queen of Wales_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2010 - 07:59 PM

Marika (my Hermanns baby) is outside and has a large penned off area in the garden. Took plenty of trial and errors though. Had to bury and surround underneath with chicken wire in the end since she seems somewhat of an escape artist! Grrrr! :angry2:

Anyway, I digress....I built her an underground chamber so she could hibernate and lined it with straw. It is accessable for cleaning and is deep enough so she never gets too cold. Works a treat and Marika loves it. I suppose it's very similar to what she would use in the wild really.

I live on top of a mountain which is well over 1000 feet above sea level and that's why she hibernates earlier than most in the UK. Gets colder up here quickly.

Thanks for all the advice but I decided to wake her up this afternoon. I just couldn't risk any food sitting in her gut for months. She's slightly over her premium weight (according to the Jackson Ratio) for hibernation anyway so I'm betting the early interuption won't do her any harm.

Tortoises eh?! What a whole lot of worry! Worth it ,though I'll be glad when spring comes around again. The garden just isn't the same with her in it

Thanks again.....................Joanne :wub:

#5 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2010 - 08:19 PM

You have definately done the right thing to wake her up,she should settle back down after her gut is clear,i think we all dread this time of year,hope all goes well.
Jay,H,Becky and Humpty

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users