Damaged Outer Shell - Fit For Hibernation ?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_leonewski_*

Guest_leonewski_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2010 - 01:14 PM

My tortoise has a slightly damaged shell

Outer layer removed "Chipped"– due to climbing – what can I do to aid recovery/healing ?

Clean with water or another solution ?E.g. povidone-iodine or chlorhexidine solution ???- not sure what this is would like a brand I can get from a supermarket

Can I put him in fridge for hibernation or is it best to wait until shell heals ?
Will shell heal by itself ?

Currently winding down & not eating

Previous hears hibernation in fridge has been fine - but am worried that damaged shell may get an infection

Many Thanks for your help

Kind regards
Leon

Male Hermann Aged 5

#2 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2010 - 10:25 PM

Hi There,
When it comes to tortoise health issues it is best to seek the advice of a reptile vet or similar professional. That's what you should do in this case. ;)
Kind Regards
Freddy :D

#3 Guest_Queen of Wales_*

Guest_Queen of Wales_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2010 - 01:22 PM

I don't think I would let my tortoise go into hibernation with a damaged shell until the vet had given him an antibiotic injection and the damaged areas have been disinfected to ensure no nasty bacteria can cause damage whilst he slept. What look like superficial chips to the shell could actually have caused tiny fractures not visible to the naked eye.

Saying that, most bacteria usually remain dormant at temperatures below 5 degrees and optimum hibernation temps for tortoises are between 3 to 5 degrees so in theory, the bacteria shouldn't be able to cause any damage. I don't think I would be willing to take the risk though. :wacko:

A friend of mine rehomed a tortoise which had been attacked by a doggy. It was in a sorry state with huge puncture wounds to its shell. :( She took it to the vets and he applied a surgical epoxy resin to all the puncture sites and chips after disinfecting. This sealed the shell back up and the tortoise has made a full recovery. I do so like a story with a happy ending. :rolleyes: Don't you?

:wub:

#4 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2010 - 11:21 PM

When my tortoise suffered chipped shell injuries, also, incidentally from climbing, I took her to a reptile vet to be checked over. The vet prescribed an anti-bacterial scrub and an anti-fungal cream which I applied daily. The shell areas in question healed after 4-6 weeks. Anyway, I'm sure your vet will advise. Best of luck ;)
Kind Regards
Freddy :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users