Night Temperatures - advice please

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Jemma_*

Guest_Jemma_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2010 - 07:24 PM

Hi,

As the weather is now becoming increasingly cold at night the temp in our tortoise house is dropping to around 10 degrees which I know is far too low, but im not sure how to maintain a warm enough nightime temperature. Today we purchased a Habistat but I am finding that the heat lamp is continually switching on and off which is driving me mad let alone Woody and Buzz (the torts). We have placed the sensor in the middle of the house nearer to the bottom, have we set the habistat up wrong? Is it best to leave the heat lamp on all night instead of turning it off? Your advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks Jemma

#2 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2010 - 07:43 PM

QUOTE (Jemma @ Nov 6 2010, 07:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,

As the weather is now becoming increasingly cold at night the temp in our tortoise house is dropping to around 10 degrees which I know is far too low, but im not sure how to maintain a warm enough nightime temperature. Today we purchased a Habistat but I am finding that the heat lamp is continually switching on and off which is driving me mad let alone Woody and Buzz (the torts). We have placed the sensor in the middle of the house nearer to the bottom, have we set the habistat up wrong? Is it best to leave the heat lamp on all night instead of turning it off? Your advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks Jemma

hi jemma.my torts are outside in the shed and its getting pritty cold up here at nights i have a oil radator on a habistat set at 15 degrees it works well.also thoose tube heaters or ceramic bulbs work well to.

you dont want your light coming on in the middle of the nite every time the temp falls below what its set at

hope this helps a bit

bruce

#3 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2010 - 03:29 PM

Hi Jemma,

Your heatlamp isn't a combined one is it? The combined bulbs aren't suitable to be thermostatically controlled as there has to be a set period 20 mins? inbetween switching on and off.

In our set up we have have two plug in timers;
timer 1 controls uv strip lights
timer 2 controls combination lamp

We also have a heating timeclock/thermostat which controls background heating during the day at 21C and night 14C we use tubular heaters for this.

Paula x

#4 Guest_MickyTort_*

Guest_MickyTort_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2010 - 04:07 PM

yeah i am alittle worried about night temps too..

i have a mega ray for the day time..on 12hours... but whats best t use for the night time to maintain a decent temp

would a uv strip be best?

if so,, what size/watt for a 4ft by 3ft enclosure.

thanks

#5 Guest_littledeedee_*

Guest_littledeedee_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2010 - 04:35 PM

Hi Mickey

torts need dark of a night so NO UV/UB... this should only be used in day (12-14hrs a day) this is to mimic the medinwhere they are from and nothing to do with where they are now.
Most homes drop to an acceptable temp of a night once you have turned the light and lamp off... roughly 20deg.

Try and get a digital thermastate to keep an eye on your temps.

daytime basking to be 32-34 deg (with an area that is about 23deg where they can go and cool down if they want) as well as UV/UB light.
evening, no light but temp around the 20-24degree mark is ideal.

as longs as torty in your home, should be fine just to turn off the megaray.

hope this helps
D
x

#6 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2010 - 05:31 PM

QUOTE (MickyTort @ Nov 9 2010, 04:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yeah i am alittle worried about night temps too..

i have a mega ray for the day time..on 12hours... but whats best t use for the night time to maintain a decent temp

would a uv strip be best?

if so,, what size/watt for a 4ft by 3ft enclosure.

thanks

Hi Micky I don't think a uv gives off heat and if it does it's very little.
First of all I would find out what the lowest temp is through out the night if you don't know this already.
Mine has never droped below 16oC which is absolutely fine so I don't use anything at night x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users