lighting

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_paulakim_*

Guest_paulakim_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2010 - 04:06 PM

hi not sure if i,ve posted this in the right place, was just wondering about the lighting, do the lights and heat lights have to be kept o 24 - 7 or do they get tuned off in the night then back on in the morning!! :)

#2 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2010 - 04:57 PM

the tortoise needs light and dark.my lights are on for 14 hours a day but i have been shortering the hours just now for the wind down.

bruce

#3 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2010 - 10:28 PM

Hi there! They don't need the lights on at night. Hermann tortoises usually won't need any extra heat at night if they are inside our home. An exception might be if you live in a very cold and draughy house. I think 15C is enough at night and less than is probably fine as well but I don't like mine to get too cool overnight. I use timers to make the lights go on and off at the right time so I don't have to remember to do and also because I might not be there at the time.

#4 amysandy

amysandy

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:09 PM

i have just been to a local pet shop (which just wants money and not bothered about pets) how often do uvb bulbs need changing in a vivarium???

also a tortoise table sized 3ft by 2ft what exact lighting do you need?
both senaro's screw uvb bulbs how many you need and a heat bulb of course?
and a strip light uvb what would you need.
What heat bulb and what uvb bulb is needed???

PLEASE HELP!!!!

#5 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:55 PM

You're best to change your UVB bulbs every six months.

In any table you need a basking lamp and a light that provides your tortoise with essential UVB rays. You can either do this with a combined bulb, or opt for two separate bulbs.

Personally I prefer to use an ordinary 100w spot light and a UVB tube, but it's all down to personal choice. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users