Posted 12 November 2010 - 08:29 PM

Thanks Ozric,

I do appreciate your reply.

Henry

#22 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2010 - 09:00 PM

Henry I noticed on that 'other place' that you now have two different subspecies.

There are different views about this. Personally I am against us breeding tortoises together when this would never occur in nature. There is a possibility of some genetic issues arising and some people think that there are issues about diseases and pathogens. This argument says that tortoises from one area have a natural immunity to things that might me very harmful to another subspecies because that one doesn't normally encounter that organism and has no natural defence. I don't knwo if this has ever been proved.

My personal point of view has more to do with keeping the subspecies the way they are rather than mankind producing all kinds of hybrids like we have with rabbits and many domesticated animals. Tortoises can never be domesticated and will always be wild animals and I personally think we shouldn't mess with their geneitcs. Other people say they are all hermanns anyway. Certainly it is possible for subspecies to interbreed - breeding sucess might be less and the resulting offsrping are not any subspecies at all, but they are hermanns.

#23 Guest_HenryV111_*

Guest_HenryV111_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2010 - 09:42 PM

Ozric, thanks for your concern.

The way me and the Mrs are feeling at the moment it will not happen.

We will more than likely get another male and at least one female of each subspecies that we have if we do decide to breed later on, but it is nice to find out as much info as we go along before we do make mistakes.

I cannot see any reason (been new to keeping tortoises) for the two females we have at the moment to be housed together though, they have been for the last 4 months by the previous owner, and they seem to get on together until we get an outside or alternative enclosures sorted.

Henry

#24 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2010 - 09:53 PM

Henry it's great to hear you thinking about possibly doing some tortoise breeding some time. Once the male is sexually mature he can be a right pest to any female he can get near. Or for that matter an old boot or anything remotely resembling a tortoise. The pester problem is reduced if the keeper has far more females than males and it is also possible for one male to keep numerous females' eggs fertile. For these reasons adult female tortoises will often be considered far more valuable than males.

Quite often when tortoises are offered for sale, the person selling really does not know what subspecies they have. If you are interested in maybe breeding tortoises later on you might want to get an exact ID on the tort before you hand over any cash. Just in case the tortoise turns out not to be the subspecies claimed for it although the seller may be acting in good faith.

#25 Guest_HenryV111_*

Guest_HenryV111_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2010 - 07:44 AM

I hear what you are saying Ozric,

Could of done with this advice last week. Thanks again.

#26 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2010 - 10:12 AM

Just wondering what swiss watches have to do with tortoises?

#27 Guest_HenryV111_*

Guest_HenryV111_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2010 - 06:47 PM

Maybe they are both slow at keeping time?
excl.gif

#28 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:03 PM

I think folks I have just deleted SPAM! laugh.gif
Although it was a pity some of the links towards time were ....'second' to none!

Paula x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users