Help please!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_wuz06_*

Guest_wuz06_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2010 - 09:43 AM

Hey everyone!

I havent been posting in awhile but I have been following the forum! Little Nettle is doing fine, she is being her usual self, she is quite a character!

Everything with Nettle seems fine however I am the one suffering at the moment! There is no easy way to say this so here it goes! I keep having bad bouts of sickness and diarrhoea, in the last two months I have had it four times!

I know that reptiles carry Salmonella and I know that it is down to the owners poor hygiene if they do contract it from their pet but I am the most hygenic person ever! I work with children and my mom is a nurse so I understand the importance of washing my hands and all of that! However, my parents are convinced it is my tortoise so can someone please reassure me that it isnt!! When ever I handle her or feed her or bathe her I wash my hands so Im convinced it isnt her, perhaps I just have a really crap immune system!

If anyone has any helpful information about salmonella and torotises I would really appreciate it!

Thanks (and sorry for the post, I am aware its not something you all want to read about! blink.gif )

Louise

#2 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2010 - 09:57 AM

QUOTE (wuz06 @ Nov 15 2010, 09:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey everyone!

I havent been posting in awhile but I have been following the forum! Little Nettle is doing fine, she is being her usual self, she is quite a character!

Everything with Nettle seems fine however I am the one suffering at the moment! There is no easy way to say this so here it goes! I keep having bad bouts of sickness and diarrhoea, in the last two months I have had it four times!

I know that reptiles carry Salmonella and I know that it is down to the owners poor hygiene if they do contract it from their pet but I am the most hygenic person ever! I work with children and my mom is a nurse so I understand the importance of washing my hands and all of that! However, my parents are convinced it is my tortoise so can someone please reassure me that it isnt!! When ever I handle her or feed her or bathe her I wash my hands so Im convinced it isnt her, perhaps I just have a really crap immune system!

If anyone has any helpful information about salmonella and torotises I would really appreciate it!

Thanks (and sorry for the post, I am aware its not something you all want to read about! blink.gif )

Louise

I've only had my tort just over 2 months and none of us have had this problem. Could it be tummy bugs you're catching from the children? x

#3 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2010 - 10:12 AM

In over thirty years of keeping tortoises, I have never ever caught salmonella or heard of anyone catching it from tortoises. It is a rarity but it could happen, more likely with turtles than tortoises I think.
Try surfing the net to see if anyone has actually caught it from tortoises?
I would be interested to hear as I said I have never in all my time heard it happen. But of course like any animal you have to be warned it can happen.
I have had not had any tummy upsets for over a year, I go to visit my grandson in France, and within a day I had an upset tummy:0) When I used to work in a school I was forever getting something from the children. Since retiring, in two years I have had one cold. So I would also say its more likely from children.

#4 Guest_wuz06_*

Guest_wuz06_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2010 - 04:47 PM

Thanks for the reassurance!

I think you may be right Sandy, I have been researching it today and it does seem like it is more of a risk factor with turtles than tortoises! I couldnt find anyone who had said they had contracted it from a tortoise! Apparently some tortoises do carry salmonella in their gut but it is unlikely I would have caught it because I do wash my hands after handling Nettle!

I think it is the fact that I work with children! I just need to boost my immune system with some vitamins! At least Nettle is off the hook now anyway!!

Louise x

#5 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2010 - 05:13 PM

Hi Louise,
I think Cara and Sandy are right. It is most likely that you are picking things up from the children.
Kind Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif
P.S Love the pic of Roxy and Indie Cara. How cute is that!

#6 Guest_Lin_*

Guest_Lin_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2010 - 08:29 AM

'I work with children' 'Nuff said'!!

How many people hadn't had a tumy bug for years, then they have childern who then go to school and ohmy.gif sad.gif wacko.gif

#7 Guest_wuz06_*

Guest_wuz06_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2010 - 07:20 PM

You have all made me feel so much better! However I am doubting my career with children!! haha! God love them but they do seem to have every possible germ going! I suppose its nice that they share!

Louise

x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users